What's new

PDQ 4000 still a good machine?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm closing on a 4/2 that's been shut down several years. They have two PDQ 4000s with virtual treadles, gatlin gunners, and stand alone dryer stands. I really hadn't planned on starting them back up, but thought I would ask what the general consensus is. I have zero experience with them. I've heard some people say they're complex, but others say they're very simple and reliable. The easy thing might to be get these guys going but I think it might be important for customers to see something different too. Any input from owners? Is support still readily available? Thanks

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
If it's been shut down for several years, something running will be something different. When it comes to an inverted L machine, I don't think a customer can tell the difference between a Laser 4000 or a Wizzy Wash 6000. Now, if you replace them with a friction or gantry style machine they may notice, but will they actually care? I say get them running and start making money.

I'm saying this under the assumption that they haven't been frozen and have all the issues that brings.

washnshine

Reaction score
I agree with I. B. If you get the two Lasers clean and up and running with good chemicals and spruce up the overall appearance of the wash, you will get customers. Down the road if one is reaching the end of its usable service time, you can replace it with a soft touch and serve both markets. By the time the second Laser goes, you will really know what your customers want and buy accordingly. Always nice not to have to replace two machines at once. If you find you have to replace one machine right away, go with the soft touch and start off serving both markets. Hopefully you can get some mileage out of one, if not both of the lasers.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
It sure would be a lot easier to get those two machines running assuming no freeze damage, but I'm also thinking I've got one chance to make a first impression. In the past those lasers didn't retain enough of a customer base to keep the wash open. I'm thinking it might be best to get a refurbished cloth unit and maybe a used water wizard 2.0 to put in there. I could dress them up with vinyl wraps and flashy blinky LEDS. It would be something different anyway. I'll try to post some pics of the site in the next couple of days. Its a huge site with a separate vacuum canopy on a decent traffic road. Nice big equipment room too.

washnshine

Reaction score
There was a recent thread on the forum showing a pretty good deal that Ryko is offering on new machines. I know a refurb would still be cheaper, but they had some god offers.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would clean them up, test them for a day and open so you can earn $$$.

Raise prices immediately; it'd be a big mistake to open at the old prices before the shut down.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
There was a recent thread on the forum showing a pretty good deal that Ryko is offering on new machines. I know a refurb would still be cheaper, but they had some god offers.
Just looked at a new ryko maxx5. Not a bad unit, but I think out of my total budget for this site. I'm trying to keep my total rehab budget around 120K.

washnshine

Reaction score

Etowah

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Well, ran into a bit of an issue today. I did close on the wash but when I went by there I started actually looking a little more closely at the laser bays. The inside to inside bay length is only 28' long. The water wizard has 31' rails and I think need close to 34' inside for a standard installation. . I assume most gantry units need around that too. That might be motivation to take a stronger look at getting these machines back running.

OurTown

Reaction score
Not a bad looking place considering it has been shut down for years. Have you tried to start the autos to see what they need? What is with the glass store front area? What is that built for? It looks like some of the glass is broken and there is a mattress inside.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Not a bad looking place considering it has been shut down for years. Have you tried to start the autos to see what they need? What is with the glass store front area? What is that built for? It looks like some of the glass is broken and there is a mattress inside.
Water is still off. The water department wants to retap and have me run a new water line since its been closed over a year. A detailer used to work out of the glass enclosure on premises. As far as the mattress, apparently a homeless man was living there for some time. It's actually in a pretty solid middle class part of town and he is likely one of very few homeless in the area. There is pretty good traffic in front of it- probably 15K cars per day.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
The 4000s where way ahead of there time when they came out. I would attempt to get them going a bunch of pressure washing and new parts would go a long ways on them. I would take them over a wash wizard any day. Theres used ones laying all around to get parts, look at the wash counts and look at the bridges for rust and see if you have stainless rails if that checks out you good.

PEI

Reaction score
They're fairly simple to work on. Parts are still readily available. None of the new touchless machines can produce a better car, they just offer more show.

A couple of things to think about would be what version chip are inside the A-5000's mounted to the doors of J0 and how much is it to change the Virtual Treadle to the new style. The blue ultrasonics are expensive and almost impossible to find. The old style VT eyes are also hard to get. The new version is cheaper for parts, easier to replace when needed and easy to get.

getnbusy

Reaction score
You should get em runnin Greg. I have remodeled 2 in the last 5 years and couldn't be happier. Just say you spend 15k each on them. You've got 30k in 2 machines that could run at least 5 years anyway.(my plan was 10 years of life). Don't try to do it on the cheap. Get dirty and spend some money to make them look and run like new. I would check to make sure the rails are 26'. The 24' rails are too short for 4 door longbed pickups.

You already have virtual treadle. I believe what PEI is trying to say is you should upgrade the ultrasonics and loading eyes to the newer style,which is an easy fix. I agree that should be on your parts list. Plenty of people on here that know exactly what to do to one. Just remodel the thing like its a cherished old car and you will be just fine