What's new

Paraplate Regulator

Nuphoenix

Reaction score
Got a Paraplate regulator that was dripping that I replaced with a rebuilt BR52 with new seals from KR. It's leaking more now than the regulator I replaced. The pump had a larger regulator and I had a spare I found that said leaks but usable and rebuilt that one. Not sure where I went wrong. Don't remember if I used any o-ring lube or not. Have one more on shelf that's labeled leaking. Would it hurt to buff out interior prior to rebuild?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Did you replace the little tiny O ring on the base of the stem? That's the one that causes it to leak. Polishing the interior wouldn't hurt, not sure it would help though.

Nuphoenix

Reaction score
Did you replace the little tiny O ring on the base of the stem? That's the one that causes it to leak. Polishing the interior wouldn't hurt, not sure it would help though.
Yes I did replace the tiny one. Took a little figuring on taking that section apart, but done no damage.

MEP001

Reaction score
I tried rebuilding a few and they either leaked again right away or only lasted a few months before they started leaking again. I'm pretty sure the inside of the cylinder wore rough and the o-ring couldn't seal in it properly. I just replace them and don't rebuild. If you want one that's cheaper, easier to rebuild, and holds a kit better, try the SMC one.

Nuphoenix

Reaction score
I tried rebuilding a few and they either leaked again right away or only lasted a few months before they started leaking again. I'm pretty sure the inside of the cylinder wore rough and the o-ring couldn't seal in it properly. I just replace them and don't rebuild. If you want one that's cheaper, easier to rebuild, and holds a kit better, try the SMC one.

What's the low pressure spring model used for?

Randy

Reaction score
It’s used for a low pressure system that you don’t want or need a lot of pressure for. Like Presoak, Tire cleaner, spot free rinse. I’ve use them on my Presoak system works great.

Nuphoenix

Reaction score
It’s used for a low pressure system that you don’t want or need a lot of pressure for. Like Presoak, Tire cleaner, spot free rinse. I’ve use them on my Presoak system works great.
Don't see a use for low pressure system regulation. I built mine just using air pressure regulators and everything works right all the time.

MEP001

Reaction score
The one I linked is the direct replacement for the Paraplate BR5-2. I only ever use the low pressure spring model for the spot free with a Procon pump.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Mep, What is the difference in service life comparing the SMC555 series and the Paraplate Br5-2??

Doesn't the SMC use a Spring instead of the spring washers like the Paraplate? I'm thinking the same that the Paraplate isn't a good candidate for a rebuild. Although it is all SS....

I've got all new Paraplates to install when the Giant Unloaders start failing...But having a hard time removing them when they are still working.

The SMC's has my attention to get for spares when I make the change over.

Randy

Reaction score
We’ve been replacing the Paraplate BR52 regulators with the SMC 555 regulator and have yet to have one fail or leak.

copperglobe

Reaction score
We’ve been replacing the Paraplate BR52 regulators with the SMC 555 regulator and have yet to have one fail or leak.
I agree with Randy...again. Our local landfill has quite a few BR52 regulators that I used to rebuild and fight. Now I use SMC 555 and like them a lot.

Twodose

Reaction score
I used the paraplate br5-2 for years in one wash, when they start to leak just chuck them and install a new one, they usually get pitted and aren't worth the trouble.

MEP001

Reaction score
Mep, What is the difference in service life comparing the SMC555 series and the Paraplate Br5-2??
In my experience, pretty close to the same life. If you look at just life of the regulators compared to the cost, the SMC comes out ahead.
Doesn't the SMC use a Spring instead of the spring washers like the Paraplate? I'm thinking the same that the Paraplate isn't a good candidate for a rebuild. Although it is all SS....
Yes, the SMC uses a spring. I mentioned earlier that in my experience the Paraplate won't hold a kit after it's been rebuilt, but most I have rebuilt were run until the conical washers were rusted together so the cleaning and rebuild took about a half hour. And the main body of the Paraplate isn't stainless, it's plated brass, so it does erode, most likely why it won't hold a kit.
The SMC's has my attention to get for spares when I make the change over.
I've mostly used the low pressure one on spot-free delivery pumps with zero problems. I haven't used the high pressure ones myself, but I've worked on many car washes that have both the SMC and JE Adams of the same style, and the SMC are clearly much older and still working properly.

Nuphoenix

Reaction score
I just rebuilt a Paraplate I found on the shelf. This one doesn't leak like the other one I rebuilt but there is a lot of chatter and vibration. Hopefully tomorrow the SMC one I ordered will come in and I'll replace it and see how it does.

DRsuds

Reaction score
I've only had one Paraplate not take a rebuild I think the stem could be damaged or eroded, the most important o ring and the one that I find fails is the small brown one. I always scrub the parts and spray them with brake clean to get the corrosion off, I think where the problem lies with paraplates is the washers rust and the rust gets everywhere. If you do scrub them clean make sure you don't use anything too rough/harsh that could score where the o-rings sit

Reaction score
Hello, what are the signs of failed Paraplate regulator BR5-2? One of mine just started leaking which need to change but seem to be functioning well.

Rudy

Reaction score
FWIW.....spraying the conical washers with Corrosion X (expensive, but worth every penny)....has stopped the rusting. Much, much longer life if the washers don't rust. My BR-5's still take a kit just fine.

MEP001

Reaction score
Hello, what are the signs of failed Paraplate regulator BR5-2? One of mine just started leaking which need to change but seem to be functioning well.
Leaking is the early sign. After a while the conical washers will start to rust, at which point the pressure will build too high with the gun's trigger not pulled.

Reaction score
Leaking is the early sign. After a while the conical washers will start to rust, at which point the pressure will build too high with the gun's trigger not pulled.
Thank you. Is there a trick while changing them? I know how to adjust the pressure by tightening/loosening the nut on the top, but do I need to try to get the nut as close as possible to the bad one before running the pump? Or no I'm overthinking this? Just change to the new one, use Rinse function and adjust the nut to desired psi (mine are all at 1200)

MEP001

Reaction score
Tie off the trigger when you set the pressure, but if the gauge stops going up before you reach your desired pressure, don't keep cranking on it. If you have a problem that's causing a loss of flow, you won't reach the pressure, but then when the trigger is released you'll suddenly have a large drop in flow and the pressure will go way too high which can damage something. Later if you see a loss of pressure, don't adjust the regulator. They don't wander off. There's a 99.9% chance something besides the regulator is bad.