What's new

our older ceiling mirror rehab project results

Sparkleclean

Reaction score
we have an older mirror that has kind of frosted itself from overspray for the last 12 years. it also had a bad spot right where you needed to use it to get on the conveyor. i decided to give it a second life by painting the frame in one of our branding colors of bright yellow and then add some graphics to it to help people see it and understand what it is for.

we have always used the smiley guy on our signs so i added that also. most customers used to say to me that they never even realized the mirror was there. it used to have a regular dull aluminum frame and a very old and dim green led rope light around it. now its bright yellow and i added a new vibrant blue led rope light around it plus the graphics. i just wanted to post some pictures here in case someone else was looking to rehab an old mirror. i screwed up the installation of the word bubble a little bit but it still looks 100 times better then before.

Sparkleclean

Reaction score
i forgot to add. the decals are the kind 3m makes for vehicles. i went to my local sign shop and had them make up the red arrows, the word bubble, and the letters on top of it. i also had them make me 3 door labels for the doors in my tunnel. the smiley guy sticker i had from when i had previously had my truck lettered. i paid $90 total for the stickers and another $75 on what i am hoping is a really long lasting rope light, plus the can of yellow spray paint. the mirror is about 8' x 3' in size.

Sparkleclean

Reaction score
and i flipped the mirror over so now the bad spot is on the top right behind the word bubble instead of lower left where people need to use it.

SLEDGE

Reaction score
Sparkleclean, Is your wash attended or unattended ? We are thinking of converting IBA to express tunnel. How long is your bay and if you are unattended do you have many problems with customers getting in and out of wash ?

Sparkleclean

Reaction score
It is a tunnel/conveyor wash that is open 24 hours a day but is only staffed from 9-5 daily. Our tunnel is about 80 feet long or so. I do have trouble with customers getting onto the conveyor. Most never even looked at the mirror...... Since this rehab, everyone pulling in is staring at it. I only live 8 minutes away and i post my cell phone number on the wall inside the tunnel in case anyone needs help. I do get calls 24 hours a day but mostly because of conveyor jams due to the short length of my tunnel not because of people off the track.

Most issues that happen, happen between 5 and 6:30pm when they do occur. That is when we are unstaffed and people on their way home stop in. Most people who use the wash later at night usually know how to use it and dont really have any issues. We do get the occasional drunk who screws something up but they usually dont even call to complain, we just see the damage the next day.

Here is a photo of the tunnel before i rehabbed the mirror. You can see how now the yellow frame and graphics cause it to stand out. View attachment 1221