What's new

Oil or water based fragrance?

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
Just got a used IVS "Fresh N Up" fragrance/vac. located a manual online but no recommendation on chemical. found both oil and water based fragrances. which do I use?

sparkey

Reaction score
I use strictly oil based so it doesn't freeze in Ohio.

MEP001

Reaction score
If your unit has the triple pump under the dome, you should use water-based. The tubing will harden up with oil-base and the pumps will quit working. Later models use a venturi in the gun to "suck" the fragrance, in which oil-base will spray better. I prefer oil-base because it lasts for a while in the customer's car. Water-base stuff is gone after a few minutes.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I use water based concentrate from Nu Scents. I use windshield washer anti freeze instead of water starting October 1 thru April 1.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
Outside of the first couple of years of IVS selling combos(Pre-2003 they were Fragramatics units that were private labeled), IVS has always used oil based chemicals. Prior to Oct of 2010 there was a three headed pump and a bank of solenoids under the dome. After that we switched to three individually driven pumps to simplify the delivery system. In both applications there has never been a venturi draw at the gun. There is an atomizer to mix the air and oil.

MEP001

Reaction score
Prior to Oct of 2010 there was a three headed pump and a bank of solenoids under the dome. After that we switched to three individually driven pumps to simplify the delivery system.
I've never actually seen inside the later units, but I was told by someone with them that there are no pumps under the dome. I guess he had never had the dome off.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Thanks, these are 2005 vintage and appear to be very well built machines.
I hope you have a location where the fragrance will be frequently purchased.

I tried them at my vac location to the rear of the car wash. The fragrance was only infrequently used and clearing the clogged lines due to non-use was a maintenance headache.

MEP001

Reaction score
I tried them at my vac location to the rear of the car wash. The fragrance was only infrequently used and clearing the clogged lines due to non-use was a maintenance headache.
I've only had that issue with cheaper fragrances, which I found out later was because the concentrates were old and their containers weren't kept sealed. I've never had any issue at all when using Fragramatics' oil-based.

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
I have two vac islands and 3 bays, On is right out in front on the main road, the other is beside the wash on the side road so vac visability is good, whether anyone wants to buy the spritz will be the question.

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
My other vac is a "carpet wizard", wonder which one I should put in front, and which on the side?

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I've only had that issue with cheaper fragrances, which I found out later was because the concentrates were old and their containers weren't kept sealed. I've never had any issue at all when using Fragramatics' oil-based.
My units were JE Adams. I only used the product supplied at the time of purchase. I don't know if it was oil based or water. I recall most of my problems were when temperatures started getting cold into freezing weather. Of course the usage (which was terrible anyway) virtually went to zero in the winter.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
My other vac is a "carpet wizard", wonder which one I should put in front, and which on the side?
Keep in mind that sometimes people cleaning carpet will unload a houseful of crap out of their minivan, sometimes the seats as well. Place your carpet wizard where this customer will be less of a detriment to the rest of the wash while there.

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
Keep in mind that sometimes people cleaning carpet will unload a houseful of crap out of their minivan, sometimes the seats as well. Place your carpet wizard where this customer will be less of a detriment to the rest of the wash while there.
Just the kind of advice I was looking for, I hadn't thought of that. It only takes a few seconds to spry fragrance, but could take a long time to shampoo... shampoo goes to the side drive and fragrance out in front of the bays!