What's new

no functions are working in my bay ???

csmith

Reaction score
I had a transformer blow that goes to one of my bays. I put the new transformer in and when I turned the power to the bay back on everything appeared to be on and working. When I put quarters in it the time would start counting down and my timer would blink when I turned the selection switch but no functions would work. I replaced the timer thinking it was a bad timer that didn't fix it. I noticed that the timer would only blink when I turned the switch. so I then replaced replaced the switch and the blink went away but none of the functions are working. Any idea where else to check?

MEP001

Reaction score
Are you certain the timer you put in was good? Try a timer from a known working bay just to be sure.

What kind of timer is it?

Roz

Reaction score
Check that you don’t have more than one circuit breaker for the bay. We have two breakers/switches one in building electrical panel and one on the pump stand control box - per bay.

Kevin James

Reaction score
Get out the voltmeter and start checking for power from the transformer out to the coin box and everything inside the coin box.

mac

Reaction score
I use an ammeter for this. Sometimes a coil will go partially bad and instead of pulling around an amp, it can pull more and still not trip the 10 amp breaker. Just turn on the bay with switch in off position and go around all positions till you find the one that reads high.

csmith

Reaction score
The fuse is good, I am getting 24v on the output side on the transformer now, I am getting 24v at the timer now as well. I have replaced the switch put a new timer in, I also put the timer in another bay(Dixmor led 7), it was good. I eliminated the coin acceptor as well. "MAC" I will try you theory tomorrow! All of my functions are out still. Im not getting a signal from my bay to my chemical room some how.

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
When you say you have 24v on the output side of the transformer and 24v at the timer, you have checked that with a voltmeter right? Reason I ask, just because timer lights up, doesn't mean you have full 24v there. Since you replaced the switch, if it is an 8 position switch, 11&21 have to be jumped together and the timed output from the timer would hook there. If 10 position switch 10&20 have to be jumped together. Depending on which switch you have, put coins in the acceptor till the timer turns on and starts counting down, with a voltmeter, check voltage between corresponding number and 24v neutral to see if you have the correct voltage coming to the switch. If you have a bad or partially bad coil on a particular function, that's not going to keep all your functions from working. If you have a terminal strip in the coin box and confirm with a voltmeter that you do have 24v between hot and neutral, you can take a piece of insulated wire, strip it on each end, touch one end to 24v hot and the other to the different terminals on the switch to see if the functions will work.

Last edited:

mac

Reaction score
Fat boy advice is better than mine. Must be getting rusty.

mac

Reaction score
You really know how to hurt a guy. At least to people not in the business I still sound like I know what I’m doing.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
You really know how to hurt a guy. At least to people not in the business I still sound like I know what I’m doing.
It seems like your approach was less labor intensive ... don't shortchange yourself & the advanced age factor too much.

MEP001

Reaction score
I noticed that the timer would only blink when I turned the switch.
That's usually a dead short from timer output to common.
so I then replaced replaced the switch and the blink went away but none of the functions are working.
When you replaced the switch, you might have gotten wires out of position, so you've disconnected whatever was shorted to common.

This is more of a random guess, but my bet would be the initial problem is the contactor coil.

csmith

Reaction score
So I have made progress I did have the switch wired different. I moved all the wires over one position so that 10,20 were jumped off. All of my functions are working now but I have found my problem that originally blew the transformer. The only function that gives a problem is the presoak. It will work for about 10 sec then it blows the fuse on the transformer. My first though was the solenoid coil was shorting out. I replaced that and my problem is still there. I had to lock up to be able to make it to my full time job, So I will have to continue tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys!!

MEP001

Reaction score
It seems like you have it narrowed down to the presoak. Follow that wire, unhook it at every connection and test it.

You said you replaced the presoak solenoid - are there not two? A lot of systems have separate solenoids for air and liquid.

csmith

Reaction score
you are correct, I changed the chemical solenoid, next is the air but I have these old Dilling Harris solenoids I can't find them any where any idea where I can get a replacement coil with out having to replace all of them to a different brand since they are on a block together?