What's new

New Wash

rminielly

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to purchase my first wash in the coming months. Any suggestions on how to get familiar with the equipment and processes?

Rfreeman

Reaction score
After you read this forum over and over...and get back from running away screaming....i would try to offer to help another SS wash owner with their routine maintenance. If you have the wash under contract I would ask to meet the current owner every time their on site to start learning the ropes. After you purchase a location roll up your sleeves and get your tool box. Best of luck

Alpine Dreams

Reaction score
...I would ask to meet the current owner every time their on site to start learning the ropes.
I read most of the posts in the archive here that pertained to customers and the frustrations of dealing with them when I started and I found it very helpful. Dumpers, loiterers, thieves, vandals, mudders, degreasers, pickup bed cleaners and in-bay detailers will become part of your every day vernacular. Try not to sweat things that are easily and quickly cleaned.

I second the advice you were given by Rfreeman - work with the current owner for a while before you take over full time and try to absorb everything she or he is able to teach you.

Damoni88

Reaction score
And then run screaming.
Lol thats a good one Mep!! After reading the forums you might be like omg what did i get myself into. Reason i said read forums over and over is there is so much knowledge on this forum and people really help each other out and it is wonderful. You want really know until you get boots on the ground and roll up your sleeves and get after it. Make the carwash yours, set you a routine and get after it. Working with the current owner is gonna help you learn ALOT and will help you with learning the very basic things. You will not have a problem everyday but there will be something that you can learn. You can always refer back to the forum's if you need help. So many of these guys have helped me out and they do know what they are doing.

rminielly

Reaction score
Lol thats a good one Mep!! After reading the forums you might be like omg what did i get myself into. Reason i said read forums over and over is there is so much knowledge on this forum and people really help each other out and it is wonderful. You want really know until you get boots on the ground and roll up your sleeves and get after it. Make the carwash yours, set you a routine and get after it. Working with the current owner is gonna help you learn ALOT and will help you with learning the very basic things. You will not have a problem everyday but there will be something that you can learn. You can always refer back to the forum's if you need help. So many of these guys have helped me out and they do know what they are doing.
Awesome thank you very much!

rminielly

Reaction score
Great thanks for the response. This might be a silly question but do most wash owners have a primary job or are they running this as passive income/investment?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Some of both. Like myself, I have four washes and that’s all I do. Probably just as many washes are owned by someone with a day job and has a car wash on the side. Usually, by the time you get to three or more, your day job is car washing.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Great thanks for the response. This might be a silly question but do most wash owners have a primary job or are they running this as passive income/investment?
Interesting question Im curious to see everyone's feed back..as for me I have another business thats my "day job" and have 2 car washes on the side....wouldnt call it "passive income" bc the washes require attention daily. I also have 2 full time workers that help with all the daily stuff and repairs but allocate their cost between the washes and the real estate I own.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've done it both ways. Right now I'm in the passive income mode. If you can do all repairs and most or all of your daily stuff, and you operate a really good wash, it can be a comfortable living. And it can be a lot less work than the average full-time job. If you plan on having a distributor do repairs and have an attendant, you're mostly going to be owning a business just to pay them.

rminielly

Reaction score
I've done it both ways. Right now I'm in the passive income mode. If you can do all repairs and most or all of your daily stuff, and you operate a really good wash, it can be a comfortable living. And it can be a lot less work than the average full-time job. If you plan on having a distributor do repairs and have an attendant, you're mostly going to be owning a business just to pay them.
thanks for the feedback!

rminielly

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, is the most time consuming aspect maintenance?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I'm mostly passive. There are times I'm away for 4-6 weeks. Sometimes I'm there everyday for a few weeks. If something breaks and I'm there, of course I fix it. I or my manager does the pits and daily cleaning/maint.

I/m in contract on an EE and have thought about building a new EE, but I'm nervous about the time requirements. I enjoy my freedom and I have it pretty good with my current location.

water guy

Reaction score
I'm thinking about leasing another one .but have alot of answered questions.

MEP001

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, is the most time consuming aspect maintenance?
For me it's preventive maintenance. I check everything every day. Maintenance is almost a non-issue because it's good, solid, and simple equipment. Self-serve only, an in-bay auto would add a lot more to keep on top of, but it can potentially double the income.

Damoni88

Reaction score
As stated in the above post. Maintaining your equipment and keeping your wash clean is an everday routine. You will be surprised how much people will notice the change of things. 2 or 3 times a day is a must, once in the morning and then again in the evening at very least. Also you want to drain your compressor at least 2 times a day to get the condensation build up out of it as this can cause numerous issues with the compressor itself and flojets. You will be fine once you get yourself a routine down and make lots of money.

APW

Reaction score
I have three washes and a full time job. If I open a fourth location I will probably quit my regular job. Although my full time job has State insurance and retirement which is hard to give up.

I have clean up men at each location that go 3-4 times a day picking up trash, washing bays down, ect. They notify me immediately if something is not working and I go that day and fix it.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do what I did; go get a p.t. job working at a car wash. It was the best education I could ask for and they paid ME!