What's new

New to the forum - Truck wash questions

Trey W

Reaction score
I had a couple questions on opening up a truck wash location (blue beacon style). I am kind of new to the car wash/SS type of industry. I currently own a pressure washing/mobile fleet washing business. I know the in's and out's of truck washing with chems/equipment etc..

Anyone have any tips on running one and/or any good threads to refer to on this subject?

MudMoney

Reaction score
You need to supply more info,location, stand alone,lease ground,etc.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Here is an excerpt from one of the industry books I use to sell. Hope this helps a little.

On the road wash bays are most always located near truck stops on major highways. According to National Association of Truck Stop Operators, less than 30 percent of all truck stops have wash bays.

Convenience is the major factor when trucks are washed. If the truck is "working," it is not convenient. Trucks are more often washed before or after their run or in conjunction with maintenance.

Hand washing is by far-and-away the most acceptable commercial wash standard for trucks. This means the result is "clean & shiny" and dries without spots or streaks.

Trailers are not usually washed by hand. Since there are many types of trailers the standards vary. Most companies have lower standards for trailers than trucks. Brokers have higher standards than company drivers.

How much a company or owner pays to wash their trucks is driven by how much they value image. In general, this is the one issue on which most companies and owner operators agree; the best wash for the least amount of money.

Ultimately, the size, type of vehicle and convenience factor will dictate the wash method used and the cost involved. The costs listed below are for a tractor and trailer combination.

Mobile wash services charge between $15 and $25 per truck and $10 to $20 per trailer. Commercial hand washes charge between $25 and $50 per truck and $25 to $50 for a trailer.

Companies with an automated fleet wash in the yard can spend between $5 and $15 per vehicle (utilities and chemicals).

Typical cost to build a commercial truck wash is between $250,000 and $400,000 plus the cost of real estate. The typical facility will wash between 40 and 50 rigs a day. The average price for tractors is $30 and $50 for a tractor trailer rig. Operating expenses are typically between 70 and 80 percent of gross sales.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Although your history in the truck industry hints that you already know this, I will mention it anyway... Most trucks are under a fleet maintenance program, and that usually includes truck washes at the service shop where that work is done. Its usually part of the P.M. on all of the leased trucks out there. Van bodies and tankers are usually a separate deal altogether, and their maintenance washing depends on if the trailers are company owned or used as advertising. So, in order to succeed in truck washing, you have to have a whole lot of owner operators in your area who can afford to use your services instead of a self-serve. There is fleet business you can get out there, but having a destination location means that you have to wash trucks that are 'in-service'. 'In-service' trucks have a driver who is costing money and not getting miles - especially if there is a wait time. That is why truck stops can wash vehicles during 'off-service' times. Mobile fleet wash services are different in that they can wash off-service trucks and trailers without hindering the companies operations.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
To add to that there are very few successful independent fixed location truck washes. As was pointed out many companies either contract their washes out or have a facility at their company to wash their trucks. Most of the others are affiliated with a fueling center or truck stop. I was involved in a project to build an fixed location independent truck wash several years ago. I learned a lot doing all the research but what I felt I learned the most was that it was a bad idea. Ultimately the financing fell through so the project never happened. That was probably a good thing for the investors involved.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Now that you have been provided with some of the hurdles and requirements for a stand-alone, truck hand-wash, you may want to consider an alternative approach.

For example, about ten years ago, I met with Jim Vader regarding a proposal to franchise the Vader mobile truck washing machine. See attached photo.

As you’ll see, the unit is driven around the vehicle cleaning it while the vehicle remains stationary like in an in-bay automatic system.

Last time I looked, used Vader’s were available at reasonable prices.

Perhaps you could use Vader to clean the trailer while hand-washing the rig. This way you could cut back on construction expense as well as decrease the total time to wash.

I might use an inexpensive metal building (about 3,000 SF) as enclosure, about $45 per SF plus FOB and sales tax, foundation slab and on-site assembly.

Minimum land required is one acre but I would look for 1.5 or 2-acre site. Price of land should be in range of $2.00 to $3.00 per SF.

Capture rate is function of truck traffic and diesel fuel/wash rate.

For example, let’s assume the highway traffic is 40,000 vehicles per day or average annual daily traffic (AADT).

According to FHWA/DOT, truck traffic is usually about 3 percent of total highway volumes and about 10 to 15 percent of this truck traffic will stop a rest stop.

We can approximate the number of commercials vehicles that might stop daily at the subject site location.

Trucks = 40,000 * 0.03 * 0.15
Trucks = 180

Historically, the diesel fuel/wash rate is 1 wash to every 60 gallons of fuel sold or roughly 17 percent.

Estimated trucks washed/day = 180 * 0.17

Estimated trucks washed/day = 30

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
FWIW, I Googled "Blue Beacon" (had never heard the name before) and found that every single one of their locations is right on a major interstate.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Not only are Blue Beacons and other similar operations on major interstates they also have at their locations other services for truckers like restaurants. wifi, c-store and even shower facilities. These are like one stop shops for truckers where they can spend productive time eating, computing, stocking up on supplies or cleaning up. A stand alone truck wash has a hard time competing for this business.

Mimi

Reaction score
Here is an excerpt from one of the industry books I use to sell. Hope this helps a little.

On the road wash bays are most always located near truck stops on major highways. According to National Association of Truck Stop Operators, less than 30 percent of all truck stops have wash bays.

Convenience is the major factor when trucks are washed. If the truck is "working," it is not convenient. Trucks are more often washed before or after their run or in conjunction with maintenance.

Hand washing is by far-and-away the most acceptable commercial wash standard for trucks. This means the result is "clean & shiny" and dries without spots or streaks.

Trailers are not usually washed by hand. Since there are many types of trailers the standards vary. Most companies have lower standards for trailers than trucks. Brokers have higher standards than company drivers.

How much a company or owner pays to wash their trucks is driven by how much they value image. In general, this is the one issue on which most companies and owner operators agree; the best wash for the least amount of money.

Ultimately, the size, type of vehicle and convenience factor will dictate the wash method used and the cost involved. The costs listed below are for a tractor and trailer combination.

Mobile wash services charge between $15 and $25 per truck and $10 to $20 per trailer. Commercial hand washes charge between $25 and $50 per truck and $25 to $50 for a trailer.

Companies with an automated fleet wash in the yard can spend between $5 and $15 per vehicle (utilities and chemicals).

Typical cost to build a commercial truck wash is between $250,000 and $400,000 plus the cost of real estate. The typical facility will wash between 40 and 50 rigs a day. The average price for tractors is $30 and $50 for a tractor trailer rig. Operating expenses are typically between 70 and 80 percent of gross sales.

I have a question we are in the process of opening up a bay car wash. We are leasing the land. The previous owner never got up and running as he was shut down for EPA violations. Luckily the lot is next to a trucking business who is eager for the truck wash to get going. I have hired a consultant who is familiar with the machinery. I am familiar with the trucking business but truck wash is new. I have decided to offset my lease by renting space for truckers to park overnight. I have plenty of space. You mentioned 70 to 80 percent expenses from gross sales. That really makes it easier to project profit. I am trying to figure out how many employees I will need operating 4 pressure washers. I am close to the port and if I contract with the trucking company next door. I am concerned I may not be able to keep up. Anyways reading through you posts have helped a lot.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
"I have hired a consultant who is familiar with the machinery."

With all due respect, consultant familiar with truck wash machinery should certainly know how many people are needed to wash trucks under the circumstances given.

Mimi

Reaction score
"I have hired a consultant who is familiar with the machinery."

With all due respect, consultant familiar with truck wash machinery should certainly know how many people are needed to wash trucks under the circumstances given.
Sorry I should clarify. He is a consultant for the air floatation device. So he is not a business consultant. My question was more geared to how employees in order to keep up with demand. I am thinking to start with 6.

mac

Reaction score
We just finished an automated truck wash for Wal Mart in central FL. Most of the information here is pretty accurate, but there have been recent advances in both chemicals and equipment to wash them. We are using chemicals that actually clean with no hand scrubbing, and have machines to apply them for different locations. For instance at Wal Mart we are washing just big square boxes. Our machines use a combination of friction and touchless to clean. So it is relatively easy to clean fleets with little variation in tractors and trailers. With a truck wash open to everything that rolls down the super slab, you almost have to plan on touchless for most washes. There are variations on the equipment to either do a drive through or a rollover. I think that Bob Roman's estimate of a 60 to 70% cost of a wash is probably close when hand washing, but way too high for the cleaning operations available today. I am seeing net figures close to what we see in car washing, that is in the range of 60 to 70% gross profit on a wash. I live in south west FL and there is not a truck wash within 100 miles of here. The price we are estimating to do a tractor and trailer is much closer to $100. And that is with a wash time of about 10 minutes. I am just still amazed at the Blue Beacon model. That is the way trucks were washed when freaking Carter was president. Times have changed. If any of you want more information, just send me a note. I can arrange to show you our operations and how we do it.

carwashireland

Reaction score
Before I say anything, I will state that I am the v.p of operations for Whiting Systems in Europe, Australia and the middle east. Their does seem to be some great advice on hear and Mac is spot on with his figures showing profit margins. For a commercial truck wash, you absolutely need to have high volume (NOT HIGH PRESSURE), blasters for the front, top, rear and sides. You also need 3 x brushes and multiple program options. 3 x brush hybrid rollover is the way to go as you can then build throughput. 1 or 2 employees with a good machine, good detergents and a great cleaning method can wash a tractor trailer in under 10 mins. A manual set up is just too slow and labor intensive to be a profitable business.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“For a commercial truck wash, you absolutely need to have high volume (NOT HIGH PRESSURE)….A manual set up is just too slow and labor intensive to be a profitable business.”

So, I guess all the truck wash information in the following link is bogus.

https://www.fueloyal.com/perfect-truck-trailer-wash/

“I am trying to figure out how many employees I will need operating 4 pressure washers.”

This was original inquiry. This means the guy wants to start up a hand truck wash not automatic.

“I am close to the port and if I contract with the trucking company next door. I am concerned I may not be able to keep up.”

So, this is a legitimate concern for hand wash.

If you follow along with information in link, you will discover number of washers used per vehicle by the major truck wash companies varies by type of service and customer (fleet versus owner/operator).

carwashireland

Reaction score
"So, I guess all the truck wash information in the following link is bogus." Certainly that is not what I stated! Just as the "two bucket method" is often considered the best way to wash a car, it is not the best way to make a profitable business. I refer to hybrid automatics as they have the functionality to be able to wash high volumes quickly. Drive throughs are simply not suitable for commercial washes as the wash quality is not high enough. Self serve is a terrible concept imo also, as having a truck driver spend well over an hour in the bay is not profitable either. (He certainly will not be feeding dollars into the meter for that length of time.). Mobile brush systems are fine if its your own box shaped fleet but far too slow. 3 x brush rollover with high volume spinners is the way to go. 1 x attendant and 1 x machine is the way to go for exterior washing. Add a de-mudder in cold climates for ice and snow removal. You can also have a separate bay for internal washouts too.

Jrblack

Reaction score
We just finished an automated truck wash for Wal Mart in central FL. Most of the information here is pretty accurate, but there have been recent advances in both chemicals and equipment to wash them. We are using chemicals that actually clean with no hand scrubbing, and have machines to apply them for different locations. For instance at Wal Mart we are washing just big square boxes. Our machines use a combination of friction and touchless to clean. So it is relatively easy to clean fleets with little variation in tractors and trailers. With a truck wash open to everything that rolls down the super slab, you almost have to plan on touchless for most washes. There are variations on the equipment to either do a drive through or a rollover. I think that Bob Roman's estimate of a 60 to 70% cost of a wash is probably close when hand washing, but way too high for the cleaning operations available today. I am seeing net figures close to what we see in car washing, that is in the range of 60 to 70% gross profit on a wash. I live in south west FL and there is not a truck wash within 100 miles of here. The price we are estimating to do a tractor and trailer is much closer to $100. And that is with a wash time of about 10 minutes. I am just still amazed at the Blue Beacon model. That is the way trucks were washed when freaking Carter was president. Times have changed. If any of you want more information, just send me a note. I can arrange to show you our operations and how we do it.
Hi Mac

Saw your post and it hit home. I’m in the process of opening a truck wash in South Bay FL and I’m looking for a solution to a daunting task; manual vs automatic. I understand manual seems to be more liked among truck drivers. I know this because I own a trucking company and it’s just what drivers prefer, however I understand automatic yields more profit. Anyway, I wanted more information about the setup Of your operation to see if I can finally decide which way to go. Look forward to hearing from you.

mac

Reaction score
Give me a call at two three nine, 218, seven six eight nine.

Etowah