What's new

New to me wash

Etowah

Bigmatthew86

Reaction score
Hello everyone, we’re set to close on a new to us 5 bay SS with an old Futura SSA that isn’t currently running. Wash was built in 1998 & has had the same owner since. It’s in need of a facelift & a good cleaning but all the SS bays are operational as well as the 5 vacuums. It’s the only wash in a town of about 7500. Planning to add cryptopay to the bays & adjust the prices to today’s. I’m think the old Futura meter boxes will need to be run in count down? The plan is to get it cleaned up & looking as new as possible & running with the equipment it has for now. I’d love to be able to get the automatic running again if possible for at least a little while if possible before replacing. Not sure if it’ll be possible or not. I’m definitely new to the car wash game but I’m excited. Is there anything I need to be thinking about? I’m researching & trying to soak in as much knowledge as possible.

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
I'd recommend replacing the meters ASAP. I wouldn't waste any time or money trying to get Cryptopay working in count-down, because the whole advantage to accepting cards is to run it count-up so people will wash all they want without having to re-start the bay. If it's a money issue, run it like it is until you can afford a major upgrade. You need to save up for spot-free rinse anyway, or try to get a loan.

Bigmatthew86

Reaction score
I definitely understand what you’re saying. Would adding cryptopay now not at least give people the option of using a card? Seems like it would have to help generate some revenue even if not ideal. Then just convert to count up when the boxes are changed? The plan is to go to 2$ to start wash & $1 to start vacuums. Up from $1.25 & .75. So make it $3 or $4 to use a card? Either way the prices have to go up, he hasn’t changed them since 1999 when he opened so he’s lowest in the whole surrounding area.

MEP001

Reaction score
I would be concerned with adding CC and having customers get used to count-down, then changing it. You'd also have to spend a decent amount extra for something to mount the swipers to. And yes, you'll get some revenue if you add readers in count-down, but it will be significantly less. If you open now with a small increase, then add CC with new meters, you'll more easily be able to justify a bigger price increase.

OurTown

Reaction score
We installed Cryptopay about March of 2018 and went with count down thinking we could convert more people since it works similar to cash. After a while we realized it was a mistake (we were greenhorns) and January 2021 went to count up. The first few months was a disaster getting our customers to figure out how it worked. No amount of signage worked to change people's minds about it. Now it is 99% great with very few having issues with leaving it running or stopping it early. I vote for changing out your meter boxes.

$!cmad3k

Reaction score
Hard to find parts for ssa futura’s being they went put of business years ago. We have spare machines that we ripped out and replaced with istobals mostly. We still stock some parts for them and i think we cant still rebuild the wheels. The futura ro system is a beast though. Where are you located?

Bigmatthew86

Reaction score
I’m in South Carolina about 40 minutes from Charlotte. I know they have been gone for quite sometime now.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
An issue you’ll have with adding credit card acceptors is...
Where to mount the readers?

Your existing boxes are small and recessed…no room to swipe the card.

I added credit card acceptance in 1999 (yeah, a very early system...now obsolete).

My mounting solution was to purchase some ¼” aluminum flat stock, sheared to my specification. I drilled holes for the reader mounting screws and cabling and attached the readers.

Then, I drilled holes through the side of the meter boxes…using a right angle drill and several new bits. I then drilled holes in the brickwork, intersecting the meter box holes. Fishing the reader cable into the meter box I then attached the assembly to the wall with anchors and stainless steel screws.

Finally, a local sign maker produced the picture frame instruction signs.

The 1999 equipment required shielded cable all the way into the equipment room. Fortunately, the meter box conduits were ¾” so fishing populated conduit was relatively easy.

Here's a pic of that installation...taken in 2014.

IMG_0050.JPG

CryptoPay readers only require power and signal wires to the meter box. Wireless signals to the coordinator eliminate pulling wire to the equipment room.

Randy

Reaction score
I hate to tell you this but what you’ve bought is a money pit. You need to replace the coin boxes. The coin boxes that Specialty made used a short drop coin acceptor, and a weird timer, if you’re lucky someone has upgraded the timer. You could scab another credit card box next to your current coin box. I’d do it right and replace the coin box. Specialty has been gone now for about 20 years or.

Bigmatthew86

Reaction score
I fully understand that this place is old & will take some money. What are y’all’s suggestions on meter boxes? These already have a vault & I don’t think I’d like to have bill acceptors in the bays.

MEP001

Reaction score
I wouldn't put bill acceptors in the bays either, too big of an attraction to crooks. Standard Weben boxes are pretty cheap and have plenty of room for everything. FWIW you can save a lot of money if you buy bare boxes and doors and assemble things yourself. It may look daunting but it's a lot easier than it looks.

Bigmatthew86

Reaction score
I’ll look into it. I’m pretty competent & things like that. Part of the reason we decided to get the older wash lol.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Call Dan at Ginsan he is on the form alot very knowledgable or Carolina Pride, National Pride or Etowah Valley those are the manufactures you want to deal with building you meterboxes. Drop vaults is what I prefer less advertising for break in and out of plain site. Just have to have stainless pipe on site welded that's all.

Bigmatthew86

Reaction score
Ok I will keep those in mind. Planning on cleaning, fresh paint, new decals everywhere, new hoses, guns, & brushes. Will probably adjust the prices & run the boxes that are there for a while before biting the bullet & buying new boxes. Having someone who has serviced it before coming to look at the SSA & see if it can run again or not.

Roz

Reaction score
The kleen rite high security meter boxes are fine too and cost less than a brand name.

with respect to bill acceptors. It depends on your area. You want to make spending money easy for customers. If you are in a safe area you might consider bill acceptors.

Bottom line is put together a master plan and then tackle the to do list. If you have a central changer and no bill acceptor do you have more than one changer in case it goes down. If using a central changer maybe you want to just dispense tokens and no coins.

I would get meter boxes with 12 functions even if you do not plan to use them all initially as you can have more than one rinse. You then have room to add functions as you see fit.

edredtop

Reaction score
I wouldn't put bill acceptors in the bays either, too big of an attraction to crooks. Standard Weben boxes are pretty cheap and have plenty of room for everything. FWIW you can save a lot of money if you buy bare boxes and doors and assemble things yourself. It may look daunting but it's a lot easier than it looks.
This!!👆
Nothing will ruin your day faster than seeing your shiny new $3K coin box (not including installation) opened up like a wet bag of spaghetti take-out.

Last edited:

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
Those boxes may not be too bad to replace as they appear to not be recessed or if they are, not by much. Definitely add the capacity for more functions(at least a 10 position rotary) and credit card acceptance. Only do count up for credit card or you're leaving serious $$$ on the table. Bill acceptors are a site specific issue. I have customers with washes in what you would think are "safe" areas who pulled theirs because of vandalism and others in areas that some would not consider "safe" that have no issues.

The biggest thing right now is get everything functional and clean the place up. The one picture you posted of the vendors is a red flag. The sagging ceiling, crappy light fixture, and leaves piled in the corner send a horrible message.

Bigmatthew86

Reaction score
The current owner is over it & not doing much at all as you can tell. Surprisingly it is still doing ok. We’re going to clean it & freshen it up as best we can. Actually planning on closing it for a few days to do everything & then reopen with it looking good again. Do y’all advise to advertise it’s under new ownership or not?