What's new

Needing to replace old RYKO Voyager

lakesidesuperwash

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for adding me to the group. A buddy and I bought a Carwash/Laundromat last September. We are in a rural area with population in the township at 3,264 and in the county 98,266. We sit between 2 lakes, so summer time the area is busy with everyone at there cottages. So the carwash is 2 SS, and 1 IBA (RYKO VOYAGER). The previous owner installed the equipment used back in 1996 (Yes the RYKO is still running), they said the carwash did really well in the beginning, however sales have slipped. Well since owning it, we have made some changes the SS bays now have good soap comeing out of the gun (previous owner was super cheap), customers have already noticed. Now our VOYAGE has the nylon brushes, to upgrade to the foam its a 10K option. Well looking on the consignment form, there are some new RYKO's for sale priced pretty good that it looks. So what would you recommend? A touchless or a friction like the RYKO? So our best week for the Automatic since we owned it was about $200.00 (I don't think that is that great). So looking for some good advice here, trying to watch what we spend, but do know that need to make changes to bring customers back. So any good advice would be greatly appreciated!

Flex- Wand

Reaction score
Ask your customers? What are they using know? Get feedback for the laundry.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the machine is functioning properly, relatively reliable and easy to maintain, I would put some new, colorful foam on the machine and maybe add a light package to it. If you freshen the bay with cleaning, a new sign, and some new l.e.d. lighting, many customers will think the wash is new. Pressure wash everything; walls, floors, etc. Clean the machine and find a vinyl wrap company to jazz up the machine's appearance. Add a new bay sign with lights and one of those speakers that yells at the customers ( so you don't have to!).

Post a picture or 3 of the machine and bay and we can better advise you. Sometimes you can add an option like glow foam or ceramic coat and raise your prices at the same time.

If freshening up the machine and bay, I would reevaluate your package pricing.

If you can significantly increase revenue with $20,000 worth of upgrades, why spend $200k?:cool:

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would definitely not leave the nylon brushes in place, no matter what. IMO, that is outdated technology and customers / the car wash insdustry left the 'weed wacker style' car washes in their rear view mirror years ago.....

Flex- Wand

Reaction score
Wax man i was think of when i was cleaning sumps. You must were a cap. Were a super hero.

washnshine

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for adding me to the group. A buddy and I bought a Carwash/Laundromat last September. We are in a rural area with population in the township at 3,264 and in the county 98,266. We sit between 2 lakes, so summer time the area is busy with everyone at there cottages. So the carwash is 2 SS, and 1 IBA (RYKO VOYAGER). The previous owner installed the equipment used back in 1996 (Yes the RYKO is still running), they said the carwash did really well in the beginning, however sales have slipped. Well since owning it, we have made some changes the SS bays now have good soap comeing out of the gun (previous owner was super cheap), customers have already noticed. Now our VOYAGE has the nylon brushes, to upgrade to the foam its a 10K option. Well looking on the consignment form, there are some new RYKO's for sale priced pretty good that it looks. So what would you recommend? A touchless or a friction like the RYKO? So our best week for the Automatic since we owned it was about $200.00 (I don't think that is that great). So looking for some good advice here, trying to watch what we spend, but do know that need to make changes to bring customers back. So any good advice would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the forum!

I would definitely update what you have. You said your customers already noticed better soaps coming out of your self serve - they will notice proper upgrades to your automatic as well - probably even more so.
As was already said, you do have to swap out nylon for foam- a must in the year 2020 - and update the automatic chemicals as well. Also a good idea to work in as many economical appearance changes as you can afford to do. A balance between function/performance upgrades and aesthetic upgrades can give you a like-new wash in both performance and appearance - both are important. You will then have something to market - today there much more creative ways to do that too than in 1996!

Good luck, keep us posted and show us some before and after pics!

soapy

Reaction score
I had a voyager that I converted over to the the foam a long time ago. I was the first to do it in fact. The problems with convert your VOyager over to foam is more extensive than just the brushes. Brushes are designed to turn at a higher speed than the foam so to do it right you would also need new slower gear boxes on all the arms. You will also have to add more counterweight to the top brush. The front arms on a voyager are also too short for a lot of the newer tall vehicles leaving the top of front fenders unwashed. I would try to wait and get a new Ryko Soft gloss with all the features for around 100K. They run specials on them all the time and it is a great deal if you get one.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Uep, buy a new SoftGloss. Special is about $100k & includes tear out & install.
Your sales will catapult instantly.

lakesidesuperwash

Reaction score
Definitely post some pics of your wash, I would love to see an old school Ryko Voyager still in operation.
I'll snag some pics this weekend. Our bay may be to small for Ryko Softglass, waiting to hear back from Ryko. We are 14ft wide in the bay. We may have to go touchless.

Reaction score
We could take it off your hands. We might be able to find some advancements! We also offer some stuff that could boost the sales for the voyager if it isn't already replaced. We wont sell products until Covid is over.

Reaction score
Don't listen to Autowarn Wash systems, he's an 11 year kid who is very rude, he lies, and autowarn isn't even a real company.

Reaction score
We are not 11 years of age unlike you, ****** *******. And because we don't have a google business page doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Stop finding every way to put us down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Why do you have to cause drama every where we go. Stop. Now.
Im gonna warn you 1 last time. Stop or else.