What's new

Need some recommendations

APW

Reaction score

I would like your input on what solenoid blocks for air and liquid, flojets, and checkvalves for the overhead you would recommend to rehab this pump stand. Also would you run 1/4 or 3/8 to the bays.

Do you think It would be a good idea to mount Stainless tanks and hydrominders above the pump stand and gravity feed the HP soap instead of the current setup.

Anyone have a great way to build the overhead or just do it with all SS fittings.

MEP001

Reaction score
KIP solenoids are good, you can replace the entire solenoid cartridge without changing the block.

Most functions 1/4 is plenty, but I always run 3/8 for presoak, and if the runs are really long I run 3/8 for trifoam liquid as well.

I wouldn't put tanks above the H/P pumps. You'll end up with water always dripping from the weep guns.

APW

Reaction score
I plan on running 3/8 tubing on all low pressure functions. Looks like the threads are 1/4" on the kips. Does that defeat the purpose of running 3/8 tubing? I don't see any of them on kleenrite made out of Stainless. Is the longevity on brass ok.

MEP001

Reaction score
Some presoaks can eat brass fittings, but you shouldn't see a problem with brass on anything else. If you're running a really "hot" presoak you might want to use plastic fittings instead.

The solenoid orifice is smaller than the fitting or the tubing ID, but line loss is what will really hurt the flow. Short runs at low pressure won't see much difference, but when you try to get 2 ounces per minute at 70 PSI to a bay 100' away from the pump you won't do it with 1/4" OD.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I agree with using Kip Manifold Solenoids. Compact and easy to wire and service (If needed)....Use either John Guest or SMC push connect fittings and LLDPE tubing to plumb every thing. Makes life much easier.

Another suggestion would be to get all the Hydrominders out of those tanks! My old Mark VII and TF system was like that. 7 Chemical tanks in all...I was a Happy Camper when I got them out of the tanks. Much easier to work on, change orifices, and change hoses when needed...

APW

Reaction score
What check valves do y'all use on the overhead. And do you plumb a separate air line to the overhead for each lp function or one common air line? If anyone has pictures of their overhead setup I would like to see it. I have no experience with this type system. My other SS site has a vfd system and uses one hose from the pump stand to the overhead boom for all low and high functions.

MEP001

Reaction score
I tee tire cleaner, presoak and air into one check valve.

I switched to the Fluid Controls check valves with Teflon seat and haven't had any problem with them, except I put a 1/4" on the medium pressure spot free and it broke the plastic tabs off that retain the poppet. Switched it to 3/8" and it handles the higher flow.

This guy thinks he needs a check valve on every line. He has lots of issues with check valves just from the quantity.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Do you think It would be a good idea to mount Stainless tanks and hydrominders above the pump stand and gravity feed the HP soap instead of the current setup.
If you look at my pics, this is how I have my pump stand plumbed. Hot and cold tanks are above the pumps and actually above the tip of the wands in each bay. I don't have any issues with water dripping in the bays. Since there is a Cv in the HP hose at the pump to keep weep from back-feeding, I think this is all that's necessary to keep water from syphoning from the tanks. Soap and Wax have been set it and forget it. Both are drawn in the pump at 10oz per minute. In 3-4 years, I have not had to make a single adjustment and the volume is always the same.

As for overhead, I only have 4 Cv's in the attic for my 4 bay. 1 on each HP manifold for SFR...I don't have any CV's on FB, PS, and TF...Air lines are tee'd in the Er to save on space and tubing in the trough...As long as you don't get wild on the air pressure, the kip solenoids will hold back any back pressure from other bays...I also have a blowdown/washer fluid injection system on all LP hoses...No Cv's there either...