What's new

My turn to sign off

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
After 28 years and 29 days I am out of the car wash business. Today was my last day.

I enjoyed my self service wash and would have been glad to stay for a while. The money was very good and I liked the work. But my wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in February. She has had her chemo and an operation to remove the tumors so she is in remission. When she feels well enough, we’re going to hit the road in our fifth wheel and take some extended vacations.

Looking back at my profile it shows that I joined in Sept. of 2007, but I know I was posting before then.

The members I remember in the early day’s were Eric H., Greg Pack, Waxman, Jimmy Buffet. Swampdonkey. Diamondwash, Sequoia, Red Baron, Michael McKernan, Bigleo, Galen, Mac, MJWalsh, Randy, Earl Wiess, Buda, Soapy, Mep001, Washregal, Robert Roman, Bubbles Galore, PaulLovesJamie, GOAT, Uncle Sam, Charles Ho, Pitzrtwm, JMMUSTANG, and JJJacububowski

I’m sure I have left some out, but I cannot forget mentioning Pat Crowe. He was definitely a colorful character but he gave me a lot of valuable ideas when I first started. (And I almost voted for Oprah.)

I’m sorry for the long post, but it felt kind good to take a trip down memory lane.

Good luck to you all and God Bless. There’s still money to be made in this business, so keep making it.

Keith

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Prayers for you and your wife Keith. Good Luck and enjoy life!

I know this is your thread, but I really miss WR. His name was William Zuraff and he lived in Las Vegas. I always made a point of visiting him when I was in town. He was quite a character. He was young (mid 50s IIRC ) when he died of a pulmonary embolism. And yes, Pat Crowe riled up a bunch of folks, but if you ever met him in person he was likable and extremely gracious.

I'm coming up on the thirty year mark this month. and at 56 I think my time here is limited too.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wish you well and I wish your wife a full and speedy recovery. I'm happy to hear of your plans to travel and enjoy life. Sometimes it's hard to let go of things that we've spent so much time on. Life is bigger than one job, one career. When we show our love to the people who matter most that is our purpose.

Randy

Reaction score
Keith we are wishing you and your wife the best in your golden years. Live each day to the fullest. I don’t think we are far behind you. At 71 it’s getting harder and harder to play the car wash game.

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
After 28 years and 29 days I am out of the car wash business. Today was my last day.

I enjoyed my self service wash and would have been glad to stay for a while. The money was very good and I liked the work. But my wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in February. She has had her chemo and an operation to remove the tumors so she is in remission. When she feels well enough, we’re going to hit the road in our fifth wheel and take some extended vacations.

Looking back at my profile it shows that I joined in Sept. of 2007, but I know I was posting before then.

The members I remember in the early day’s were Eric H., Greg Pack, Waxman, Jimmy Buffet. Swampdonkey. Diamondwash, Sequoia, Red Baron, Michael McKernan, Bigleo, Galen, Mac, MJWalsh, Randy, Earl Wiess, Buda, Soapy, Mep001, Washregal, Robert Roman, Bubbles Galore, PaulLovesJamie, GOAT, Uncle Sam, Charles Ho, Pitzrtwm, JMMUSTANG, and JJJacububowski

I’m sure I have left some out, but I cannot forget mentioning Pat Crowe. He was definitely a colorful character but he gave me a lot of valuable ideas when I first started. (And I almost voted for Oprah.)

I’m sorry for the long post, but it felt kind good to take a trip down memory lane.

Good luck to you all and God Bless. There’s still money to be made in this business, so keep making it.

Keith
Thank you for all of your encouragement and prayers. I'm sorry I was slow getting back to you all. But I did what a lot of old retired guys do, I went camping for four days.

The kids went out to the campground for the weekend and we joined them. Instead of packing up Sunday morning I said what the hell, I've got no car wash to go to so we stayed two more days. Time well spent.

I met Mr. Crowe at the Heartland Show sometime in the 90s. He was talking about his car wash appraisal book saying that car washes are worth 2.5 to 3 year's sales. I bought a book and he said all of the proceeds were going to a nun? that ran a homeless shelter in KC. He had (has?) a lot of good traits, but there was definitely a contrarian side to him.

Maybe I will weigh in more often. But I don't know what I can contribute. There's some really smart operators on this forum.

Thanks again for your responses:

Keith

washnshine

Reaction score
Thank you for all of your encouragement and prayers. I'm sorry I was slow getting back to you all. But I did what a lot of old retired guys do, I went camping for four days.

The kids went out to the campground for the weekend and we joined them. Instead of packing up Sunday morning I said what the hell, I've got no car wash to go to so we stayed two more days. Time well spent.

I met Mr. Crowe at the Heartland Show sometime in the 90s. He was talking about his car wash appraisal book saying that car washes are worth 2.5 to 3 year's sales. I bought a book and he said all of the proceeds were going to a nun? that ran a homeless shelter in KC. He had (has?) a lot of good traits, but there was definitely a contrarian side to him.

Maybe I will weigh in more often. But I don't know what I can contribute. There's some really smart operators on this forum.

Thanks again for your responses:

Keith
We all have someone to contribute, Keith! Sometimes just a post that makes you laugh can make help your day! Please feel free just to update us too.