What's new

Micro Coin QL

washregal

Reaction score
Hello -

I have been using the QL for a little and like it - seems to be much more accurate than slugbuster in terms of jamming.. and ease of operation.. Does anyone know if there are pre programmed pulses for standard U.S. currency? i.e. penny, nickel and dimes? This I think would be a nice feature to let customers know as I see so many just throw these out on the ground.. If they knew they could use this currency at my wash for value they would probably be more inclined to use the facility. Any thoughts here?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I think they are programmed for nickels and dimes, but I don't know how they would handle them, since all timers are looking for a pulse from a quarter. I had some of those old blue Microcoins (actually, I think I still have a few). I know that they would store credit until it reached the target that we set (25 of course) and then send the pulse. I have no idea how the QLs work.

MEP001

Reaction score
Some timers (Dixmor LED-7 for one) lets you set the coin pulse value, so you'd have to program the acceptor for five pulses for a quarter and the timer for a value of $.05 per pulse.

I wouldn't want to deal with all that small change. I've been removing the coin cups because customers fill the reject chute with nickels, dimes, and pennies, then either leave it jammed or beat/pry on it until they break it.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Some timers (Dixmor LED-7 for one) lets you set the coin pulse value
I did not know that.

That probably won't help him though. Since he is using a multi-coin acceptor, I'm guessing he is using dollar tokens or coins. A dollar value would be 20, and the QL is limited to 10 credits. I've always wanted to take the small coins, but I didn't want to give any credit for them, just accept them. No acceptor I know of, other than the old blue ones, will let you do that. I use dollar coins, dollar tokens, and quarters, so sorting is no big deal. I would process the chump change if I got it for free.

Last edited:

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
To the rookies out there reading this: The previous is not an ethical fail. This is the time tested and rigorously thought out result of careful observation of car wash customers over years of car wash ownership. It is the right thing to do.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Yeah, I probably should've elaborated a bit. Small coins, usually pennies stuck in there by children, tend to not roll back out the chute well and jam up the acceptor. It happens often enough to be pretty frustrating, not to mention putting a bay out of service now and then.

celica

Reaction score
Pennies? Up here in Canada we got rid of them nearly 10 years ago! You know something is worthless when people will just throw them on the ground around your vacuums, bays etc. It costs more than a penny to make a penny. A few more years and we will be getting rid of the nickel.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Pennies? Up here in Canada we got rid of them nearly 10 years ago! You know something is worthless when people will just throw them on the ground around your vacuums, bays etc. It costs more than a penny to make a penny. A few more years and we will be getting rid of the nickel.
Celica,

Hopefully, for as keeping cash as an option in Canada it seems like by promoting Canada's discussion of possibly going also to a $5 coin with proper inflation consideration & input is given ... it will eventually become a reality. The advantages of higher denomination coins with them being 100% waterproof for the car wash industry is no question a reality. Unless of course an operator chooses a lesser quality coin mech than a Microcoin QL. I do have experience taking nickels, dimes & quarters in a Microcoin QL way back as far as the year 2000 when the QLs first came out in our laundromat. It has proven to be the best of the best out of many that I have tried ... especially when it comes to outdoor or wet environment.

Based on my first hand experience .... I would limit programming the QLs for car wash coins format at minimum a quarter ... unless it is used to receive very small ticket items such as our small boxes of soap ($1 & under) we sell in our laundromat. Certainly not for a car wash format unless the operator wants an unnecessary hassle.

Speaking of hassles ... at least it would be a local hassle though vs some potential less control of .... dem der mostly in dah faraway cloud format. The point is we should all try to keep whatever unnecessary hassles to a minimum!

BTW ... I have had nearby busy convenient stores refuse to assist some of our local poor individuals if they only carried too small of denominations ... the local poor do not have that problem with busy cashiers ... when & if they ever will ... only carry higher denomination coins ... unless the newby cashier is dollar coin uneducated.

All of the above that I have said should also apply to the USA not just in Canada ... IMHO of course!

washregal

Reaction score
I was just thinking another way for my business to be convenient.. as I am sitting between two tunnel wash's if you are saying more coin jams on microcoin QL - I wil STAY AWAY!... I have the ability to sort and collect denominations fairly easy - so that isnt too much of an issue - going away from the token!

Kilworth Car Wash

Reaction score
Celica,

Hopefully, for as keeping cash as an option in Canada it seems like by promoting Canada's discussion of possibly going also to a $5 coin with proper inflation consideration & input is given ... it will eventually become a reality. The advantages of higher denomination coins with them being 100% waterproof for the car wash industry is no question a reality. Unless of course an operator chooses a lesser quality coin mech than a Microcoin QL. I do have experience taking nickels, dimes & quarters in a Microcoin QL way back as far as the year 2000 when the QLs first came out in our laundromat. It has proven to be the best of the best out of many that I have tried ... especially when it comes to outdoor or wet environment.

Based on my first hand experience .... I would limit programming the QLs for car wash coins format at minimum a quarter ... unless it is used to receive very small ticket items such as our small boxes of soap ($1 & under) we sell in our laundromat. Certainly not for a car wash format unless the operator wants an unnecessary hassle.

Speaking of hassles ... at least it would be a local hassle though vs some potential less control of .... dem der mostly in dah faraway cloud format. The point is we should all try to keep whatever unnecessary hassles to a minimum!

BTW ... I have had nearby busy convenient stores refuse to assist some of our local poor individuals if they only carried too small of denominations ... the local poor do not have that problem with busy cashiers ... when & if they ever will ... only carry higher denomination coins ... unless the newby cashier is dollar coin uneducated.

All of the above that I have said should also apply to the USA not just in Canada ... IMHO of course!
Silly question here. First time posting. Does the micro coin QL have to be configured for Canadian currency? My distributor provided mine with “config - US002_D3” and is acting all wonky. I can’t seem to program it to accept the coins at the correct value consistently or reliably. Sometimes a quarter will give a credit for 2 dollars and a toonie will give credit for $1. But not always…. Any help would be appreciated.