What's new

Major Safe - Removable Dial Help

Rfreeman

Reaction score
I know this is a long shot but I thought I would ask everyone here. So I lost my removable dial for my in bay safe vaults. The brand is Major which was bought by Star Safes that was later purchased by American Security. I already checked with American Security and they don't sell this dial any longer. The dial measures 2-7/8" in diameter and looks like this (pictures attached) If anyone has a spare one laying around please PM me...trying to avoid drilling our these safe heads, thanks!

Attachments

OurTown

Reaction score
Have you tried to call a local safe smith? They might know what to do or possibly get one that will work.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Thanks OurTown yes I called 3 already one was an authorized dealer of American Security but they told me they have never seen one this old. Ill keep trying

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I have ran into this same idental problem 3 years ago bought one from a old operator. Check ebay periodically the metal ones are the better ones I had a old plastic dial and the spindle strips over time. The other bad thing about that style there is a smaller diameter safe heads than a normal star C style safe. What you have is a old Major safe. Look on eBay also

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Thanks TDL, I figured maybe someone on here that rehabbed a old place might have one. Also checking here in my local market but yeah I'm finding out they are tough to come by!

MEP001

Reaction score
Will a Star safe dial not work?

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Will a Star safe dial not work?
Yeah MEP I was hoping a Star would work but the dial is smaller in diameter (2 inch diameter vs. 2 7/8ths) throwing the numbers on the combination off. Additionally the pins dont fit my safe either.

Spoke with American Security and I think they still have some of these dials laying around. Fingers crossed otherwise I might be getting new safe heads

Randy

Reaction score
Those dial type coin vaults were never popular up here in the Northwest. Have you tired calling R.A Lock? http://www.ralock.com/ If it was me the first thing I'd do when I got them open would be to replace them. I'll call around and see if I can find one. How old would you have to say the heads are?

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Those dial type coin vaults were never popular up here in the Northwest. Have you tired calling R.A Lock? http://www.ralock.com/ If it was me the first thing I'd do when I got them open would be to replace them. I'll call around and see if I can find one. How old would you have to say the heads are?
Randy, thanks for the suggestion I will reach out to them. I would estimate these safe heads are approx 30+ years old!!! The older washes down here in N Texas have these round safe heads although most are Star Safes which bought out Major Safe Co. (my brand of safes) a while back from all the locksmiths are telling me. Both have been acquired by AMSEC in California who supposedly still has a few of these dials but I am waiting to hear back from them.

MEP001

Reaction score
I would estimate these safe heads are approx 30+ years old!!!
I used to run a wash with the old-style Star safe heads which were from the 70's. I wouldn't be surprised if yours are more than 50 years old.

water guy

Reaction score
We have that style at one of the washes I take care of. Its and old 70s D&H. I gonna look and see if we have an extra one.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Update: Well the other day I went to the wash and one of the changers was out of service so I figured it was just a busy weekend and the quarters were emptied out right. Well I opened up the changer and sure the hopper was empty however I noticed a small pile of qtrs "floating" half way down there hopper. Anyway I pushed on it to knock them down to the bottom and low and behold there was my dial wedged in the hopper under this small pile of qtrs!!! Apparently, when replacing the qtrs from the vaults to the changer I must have forgotten to take the dial out of the bucket and dumped it in the hopper with the qtrs....crisis under control now.

BUT....if anyone has a spare dial please PM me I would like to buy a backup in the event I lose this one again.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Update: Well the other day I went to the wash and one of the changers was out of service so I figured it was just a busy weekend and the quarters were emptied out right. Well I opened up the changer and sure the hopper was empty however I noticed a small pile of qtrs "floating" half way down there hopper. Anyway I pushed on it to knock them down to the bottom and low and behold there was my dial wedged in the hopper under this small pile of qtrs!!! Apparently, when replacing the qtrs from the vaults to the changer I must have forgotten to take the dial out of the bucket and dumped it in the hopper with the qtrs....crisis under control now.

BUT....if anyone has a spare dial please PM me I would like to buy a backup in the event I lose this one again.
Rfreeman I bought 6 of these safe heads tonight from a guy, if you are interested in buying some of them that fit your particular setup dials are included also have some that work with a key that fits also two different styles that work. Inbox me if you are interested. Thanks Thomas or anybody else that needs some.

gt46tc

Reaction score
Rfreeman I bought 6 of these safe heads tonight from a guy, if you are interested in buying some of them that fit your particular setup dials are included also have some that work with a key that fits also two different styles that work. Inbox me if you are interested. Thanks Thomas or anybody else that needs some.
Looking for a round Major combination safe door. Can you help?

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Send picture I have plenty or some that will fit. My cell is 919-724-2130

gt46tc

Reaction score
I have a swing out e-hinge 10" door needing a dial with a 2 1/8" stem,,,a post wheel or a complete head. George 832 879 0715

Etowah