What's new

Magnets Used to Steal Time

David Moore

David Moore
Reaction score
Some Jackass is using a magnet to activate both the vacs and bays. He is then collecting money from customer's who wash using free time.

I've put on the magnet shields from Ginsan, but these don't seem to be working great. The scratch marks from the magnets keeps getting worse each week.

Does anyone have a better suggestion to stop the magnets?

Thanks.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Add a magnetic switch (alarm door switch) & relay, to the circuit that will reset timer when the magnet is used.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
If he is selling the time to your customers, thats illegal. I'd get the cops to stake the place out & arrest him. If they wont do it, find out what it would cost to get a PI to do it, and/or find out how you can do it in a way that would get a conviction.

After I nailed him, then I'd do what Bill said - magnetic reset.

Randy

Reaction score
I know you don?t want to hear this. You might want to consider replacing your coin acceptors. I had the same problem years ago and I replaced the coin acceptors with the Slugbuster II with the EZ door.

Gabriel

Reaction score
I would just make the change out and get it over with. I think Randy has got it right.

mac

Reaction score
Ditto here. And if you think the cops will give a hoot about this, I've got a good deal on a bridge for you. Today cops want to show up after a crime, fill out the paperwork, and go to Dunkins afterward.

MEP001

Reaction score
Wally said:
Is this isolated to Ginsan or will it work on other acceptors?
I've only seen and heard of it happening with GinSan Sensortrons.

They make a plate that's supposed to diffuse whatever they're using and prevent false payout - I've been told a high-power CB radio can do it too, and the plate will stop it. What I don't understand is that if they know it's a problem and know there's a solution, why they don't include it with all acceptors.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
And if you think the cops will give a hoot about this, I've got a good deal on a bridge for you.
Yes, I do expect them to give a hoot about it. Maybe I should change my handle to "paul the bridge buyer" LOL :D

People talk all the time about "giving back to the community" and "civic responsibility" - I think we have a responsibility to stop crime, not just to let the guy move on to his next victim. I'd hate to live in a place where the cops dont do their job and the community doesnt even care enough to ask them to. No offense intended, and I'm not trying to pick a fight here - just pointing out that theres more to being a responsible member of society than simply running a business or replacing a coin accepter.

And before you jump on me for being an idealist, I'll add than most of my community agrees, many of us make the effort, and yes, it makes a difference. Yes, the police would stake out my wash if this happened to me. Partly because they know that if they didnt, Id talk to the chief, the mayor, the town council.

Well, off my soapbox, sorry about that. Probably shouldnt post this, but what the heck, I'm in one of those moods. :rolleyes:
David M, please do be sure to let us know which piece of equipment was the problem, and how you get it resolved.

Wally

Reaction score
David how were you able to determine he was doing this? I know you said there were scratches. Have you tried a magnet?

mac

Reaction score
Please don't interpret my little diatribe about cops as an indication that you should let the perp go. Nail the SOB to the wall if you can. Put the fear of the Lord in him. Make him go into the fetal position and want his momma. Just don't count on the federales to help much. I used to own a wash in Miami, and was broken into and robbed. Called the cops, and three hours later the guy shows up. When asked why it took sooo long, he replied, and I am not making this up, "Hey, I only make 90 grand a year. You think I'm going to bust my a** to get here for this?" I guess I should have been thankful that at least he spoke English to me. At another wash I owned, someone was stringing me on a regular basis. The cops would not stake out the place to catch him. When I offered to apprehend him with my concealed carry permit and .357 with hollow points, the cop looked at me and said "You better not. You'll get into a lot of trouble if you do." BTW, I did catch him, and it did stop.

M

mmc

GinSan Sensortrons

I went through this problem also. Didn't stop until I had to remove every Ginsan coin mech from my wash. Keep in mind that Jim Coleman and Fragramatics products also use Ginsan mechs. I'd suggest you call GS and ask them to pay for the removal of the mechs or call Coleman and others and have them pay for it.

At first, I think it was one person using the magnets, then it grew. It seems that people were teaching each other how to use the magnets on me (it takes a speaker magnet, which gets rubbed up and down on the faceplate by the coin mech - each pass adds a quarter in credit). I'll tell you what, my cash receipts were boosted by about 15% once I got the ginsan coin mechs out.

E.Joramo

Reaction score
Well Crud I better check and make sure that our self serve location isn't vulnerable to magnets.
Erik
I went through this problem also. Didn't stop until I had to remove every Ginsan coin mech from my wash. Keep in mind that Jim Coleman and Fragramatics products also use Ginsan mechs. I'd suggest you call GS and ask them to pay for the removal of the mechs or call Coleman and others and have them pay for it.

At first, I think it was one person using the magnets, then it grew. It seems that people were teaching each other how to use the magnets on me (it takes a speaker magnet, which gets rubbed up and down on the faceplate by the coin mech - each pass adds a quarter in credit). I'll tell you what, my cash receipts were boosted by about 15% once I got the ginsan coin mechs out.

jwilson

Reaction score

Fragramatics vacuums come standard with Microcoin QL acceptors.

edit: I didn't realize this was such an old post. The information is still correct though.