What's new

Machine moves itself

Reaction score
Hello,
When the machine is done washing, it comes back for few inches. This makes the machine to move itself from the Home position so the machine automatically moves itself forward for few inches to the home position in about a minute after its done. I noticed the plastic part between the couplings (see pic) is damaged. Would changing the plastic part fixes the problem? Also not sure what caused the plastic to get damaged so bad in the first place.

Attachments

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
Hello,
When the machine is done washing, it comes back for few inches. This makes the machine to move itself from the Home position so the machine automatically moves itself forward for few inches to the home position in about a minute after its done. I noticed the plastic part between the couplings (see pic) is damaged. Would changing the plastic part fixes the problem? Also not sure what caused the plastic to get damaged so bad in the first place.
Lovejoy coupling wear normal, needs replacing.

Reaction score
Thanks guys Im still missing why the machine goes back when it is done washing. Do I need a new gearbox???

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
Hello,
remove cover and move gantry manually, check amount of slack in coupling on both sides passenger and driver.

Reaction score
remove cover and move gantry manually, check amount of slack in coupling on both sides passenger and driver.
Yes I see quite bit of slack on this passenger side which I think is due to worn out lovejoy. The motor/gearbox start rotating the left side coupling, but the right side doesnt start rotating for 1-2 seconds (or meybe less). Ill go ahead and replace it with a new one and report here if it fixed the issue.

srr5008

Reaction score
Thanks guys Im still missing why the machine goes back when it is done washing. Do I need a new gearbox???
Because of the gaps (from the worn lovejoy) the weight of the gantry has the whole unit rolling backways, taking up that slack when the machine is at rest. Pretty common issue/maintenance with these machines.

Reaction score
Update: this alarm67 happens every time the machine doesnt stop at the home position(rolls few inches back due to slack due to damaged insert). So my guess is replacing the insert will fix alarm67. But pls share your experience with me if you have seen this as well?

srr5008

Reaction score
Update: this alarm67 happens every time the machine doesnt stop at the home position(rolls few inches back due to slack due to damaged insert). So my guess is replacing the insert will fix alarm67. But pls share your experience with me if you have seen this as well?
I have never encountered that alarm in conjunction with a bad love joy.

Reaction score
Update: changed the spider insert 2 month ago but its worn out again. Need to figure out whats causing it. Maybe bad bearing. But how do you check?
What if I just stop looking at it? Lol whats the worst thing can happen? Like what if there is no spider insert?

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
Update: changed the spider insert 2 month ago but its worn out again. Need to figure out whats causing it. Maybe bad bearing. But how do you check?
What if I just stop looking at it? Lol whats the worst thing can happen? Like what if there is no spider insert?
You can just let it go and look at replacing the motor and gearbox along with lovejoy and wheel bearings, because now you have a extra load on all units.

Reaction score
Well thats not good…although I do have a worn livejoy on the boom for almost 4 years with no problem.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
If the gearbox is not inline with wheel bearing that will cause the spiders to wear quicker.
Gantry can be raised off rails and supported by 2x4 under frame, idle bearings will be free to check, gearbox will need to moved to check drive bearings.