What's new

'm getting to hate Starbucks

mac

Reaction score
There is one of these overpriced (and poor quality) stores right next to my wash. They do a killer business somehow, and, you guessed it, many of their customers park on my lot and go for their coffee. They seem surprised when I ask them to move and not do it again. Would sure love a way to REALLY discourage them while staying legal. Police said because this is a private business they can't do anything. Tried calling a tow truck twice but the idiots are gone by the time a truck comes. Don't want to turn into a grumpy old man but getting tired of them blocking my business. Thoughts so far are boots, spray paint, cordless drill to adjust the air in tires, and bear repellent.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Can you block their vehicle with yours, so they will have to ask you to move it. Then you can give them the answer I know you have heard a thousand times, "I ain't gonna be there but five f%#$@ing minutes!" I went through this with a wash I had that was next door to a pawn shop. I eventually put up a sign stating that "This area is for car wash customers only!" I figured that with the bulk of their customers being far down the social ladder that I was wasting my time and money, but surprisingly, it worked pretty well. Eventually the shop went out of business. I've got to hope I played a small role.

mac

Reaction score
Can you block their vehicle with yours, so they will have to ask you to move it. Then you can give them the answer I know you have heard a thousand times, "I ain't gonna be there but five f%#$@ing minutes!" I went through this with a wash I had that was next door to a pawn shop. I eventually put up a sign stating that "This area is for car wash customers only!" I figured that with the bulk of their customers being far down the social ladder that I was wasting my time and money, but surprisingly, it worked pretty well. Eventually the shop went out of business. I've got to hope I played a small role.
I did put up signs and thought they were working till loday. Had to ask 6 to leave.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Tape a token with a note on the windshield of each car saying this is not for Starbucks customers but here is a token for a FREE car wash at ******* car wash for you to become one of our loyal customers. Thank you.

Randy

Reaction score
Mac, in looking at your car wash on street view 6 cars would just about fill the lot, I’d be pissed also. I don’t understand why they don’t just park in the alley between the car wash and Starbucks. I’d go to Starbucks and have a come’n to Jesus meeting with the manager of the Starbucks, let it be known that you’re going to start towing there customers cars out of the car wash. Did you put up signs from the towing company stating that unauthorized vehicles will be impounded/towed at the owner’s expense? Call the towing company and ask them to have a truck standing by a block or so away or better yet in the alley so they can grab a car or 2 to make Starbucks customers day.

A while back we had a store going out of business 2 doors down from the car wash, super deals, and lots of people. They thought that they could park in the bays at the car wash. I told one guy who had his kids with him that he couldn’t park in the car wash as he was walking away he flipped me off. We called the tow company who we had there signs up and told them bring every tow truck you have, you’ve got 5 minutes to get here and clear the lot. Within 5 minutes there were 5 tow trucks hooking up cars and away they went, talk about pi$$ed off people with a $350 impound fee to get there car back.

washnshine

Reaction score
There is one of these overpriced (and poor quality) stores right next to my wash. They do a killer business somehow, and, you guessed it, many of their customers park on my lot and go for their coffee. They seem surprised when I ask them to move and not do it again. Would sure love a way to REALLY discourage them while staying legal. Police said because this is a private business they can't do anything. Tried calling a tow truck twice but the idiots are gone by the time a truck comes. Don't want to turn into a grumpy old man but getting tired of them blocking my business. Thoughts so far are boots, spray paint, cordless drill to adjust the air in tires, and bear repellent.
Do you have signage stating that it is trespassing for cars other than car wash customers to be on the lot ? Not sure what the police are saying with it being a private business therefore they cannot do anything. That is kind of the point - they are on privately owned property without your permission.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
it would be fun watching customers with Sarbucks coffee changing their tires .
Just a thought.

MEP001

Reaction score
Not sure what the police are saying with it being a private business therefore they cannot do anything.
That's exactly the case, that's why there are legal provisions for having the cars towed. I came in to my wash one Saturday morning and there was a car abandoned in a bay. I know the deal, but I called the police anyway - they looked it over, it wasn't reported stolen, there was no visible evidence of anything like a violent crime, and there was no info in the system for a registered owner (It had temp dealer tags) so they couldn't even call the asshole to tell him to move his car. I didn't and still don't have signs up for towing, so a tow truck cannot remove it from the property, they would move it for me but I'd have to pay. I ended up putting my floor jack under it and a couple friends helped me push it out of the way where it sat for two weeks before someone came and got it.

MEP001

Reaction score
it would be fun watching customers with Sarbucks coffee changing their tires .
Just a thought.
That would be a criminal act. Even letting the air out of someone's tires is criminal mischief.

Randy

Reaction score
Why not have signs up? We have signs up from the towing company at all the car washes so we can legally have the towing company remove abandoned cars from the property. Over the years we've towed a lot of cars off the property and a few have taken us to court, but they always lose. A couple of times we've gotten abandoned cars and trailers with no license plates. The towing company tows them off, runs the VIN number and sends a bill for the tow and storage to the last registered owner. It just goes on and on.

soapy

Reaction score
I heard of a guy who had similar things happening at his property. He went to the local sporting goods store and bought a bunch of concentrated skunk smell. Hunters use it to hide their scent when bear baiting, or so I am told. He would casually walk by the car and squirt a little inside the wheel wells or if lucky just below the wipers where the car draws air in for the heat ducts. That seems to work pretty well for him, or so I am told.

Bob-O

Reaction score
I don't have tow signs up. I called the police to get a car towed they told me that if the car is on private property I didn't need to call them.
I have had 3 towed so far. I just call the tow company, and they said they call the police when they get the car back to there shop. I do have to sign a paper that the car was parked illegal.

mac

Reaction score
Actually
Tape a token with a note on the windshield of each car saying this is not for Starbucks customers but here is a token for a FREE car wash at ******* car wash for you to become one of our loyal customers. Thank you.
AActually did think of that. Then I realized I might be creating a monster. I think a LOT of these Biden voters would think, hey I can get a free carwash if I parkoverthere.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Actually

AActually did think of that. Then I realized I might be creating a monster. I think a LOT of these Biden voters would think, hey I can get a free carwash if I parkoverthere.
You might try it. That might be a way to pick up some loyal customers.

Give it to the clean cars only- don't give it to the ones that obviously don't care what their car looks like.

MC3033

Reaction score
It’s a good thing to be next to a busy Starbucks! Is the parking creating a loss for you (ie blocked bay or vac)? I learned awhile ago that business (or look there of) creates more business. Many oil change shops park dummy vehicles in front of/in their bays to create the look of business (I’ve known car washes and gas stations to do this as well).

If it isn’t creating a loss I’d find a way to use it (ie advertising to these people). If it does create a loss I’m not sure there are any great options other then mass signs, traffic control, personnel monitoring constantly (which all of these can be a turn off for your own customers and hurt your business).

Is there a way to make it difficult/impossible to walk to the Starbucks from your lot? A fence or sort of barrier

mac

Reaction score
It’s a good thing to be next to a busy Starbucks! Is the parking creating a loss for you (ie blocked bay or vac)? I learned awhile ago that business (or look there of) creates more business. Many oil change shops park dummy vehicles in front of/in their bays to create the look of business (I’ve known car washes and gas stations to do this as well).

If it isn’t creating a loss I’d find a way to use it (ie advertising to these people). If it does create a loss I’m not sure there are any great options other then mass signs, traffic control, personnel monitoring constantly (which all of these can be a turn off for your own customers and hurt your business).

Is there a way to make it difficult/impossible to walk to the Starbucks from your lot? A fence or sort of barrier
My lot is really tight andthere simply isn’t room to park without blocking bays and vacs. Yesterday I had two cars blocking three bays and another blocking my combo vac. Fences would also block my customers. I am going to talk to them but don’t see how they can control their customers.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
I had a Starbucks next door to one of my washes too. The Starbucks was in an endcap of a retail building so no drive-thru. So the SB customers would park at my wash also. Was quite annoying.

What was even more annoying was then some of the customers would then come to get their car washed after getting their coffee. Then some would have the audacity to complain about my $5 base price while holding a $5 cup of coffee.

Eventually the SB moved and took over a fast-food building so they could have a drive-thru. Problem solved.

My advice would be to put up aggressively worded signs in large sized letters. Also call a local tow company and get them on board. They will put up the towing signs at their cost, and will be ready to come over and tow after you call them. DO NOT mess with any of the cars. That could put you in real trouble.

MEP001

Reaction score
They will put up the towing signs at their cost
In some states they aren't allowed to do that. I will have to pay for and put up signs after I contract with a towing company.

Randy

Reaction score
Call your local towing company and ask them to come out and put up signs, if it's not legal they'll let you know. We sign a contact that we will use XYZ towing and they put a the signs that unauthorized vehicles will impounded at the owners expense. They have to put up a minimum of 4 signs, we have 6 signs at each car wash. If we tow a car and there are no signs posted or they are improperly posted signs we could be on the hook for the tow and the storage fee's. We won't tow a car if there wasn't a sign stating that we can tow your car, if there iare no signs it puts to much liability on the business owner. We have been to court a few times and they always lose.