What's new

LW4000 problems

zed 9

Reaction score
Hello forum members, two problems i am having with our PDQ LW4000 with virtual treadle.
Problem 1. The width measure front and rear is not recognizing the difference between small cars and bigger cars. Car is loaded into the bay and the spray arch goes full extent to the right and full extent to the left this happens on all passes, low pressure soaps, high pressure, 3 x tri color and the spot free rinse.

Problem 2. when the arch rotates and stops suddenly at each of the 90 deg turns there is a thud noise, the arch rotate gear box is good. Is there some thing like an " electrical brake " incorporated into the electrics that smooths out the sudden stop at each 90 deg turn, or am i missing something else

koliver

PDQ Sales Engineer
Reaction score
The width is measured by the ultrasonics that are mounted on the wall. Have you verified that they are working? Not just that they are "clicking", but actually working. There are tests that you can do using the VT board mounted in the JO cabinet. If you don't have the VT manual, I suggest you get a copy. As for problem 2, there is no electrical brake. It is controlled by the VFD, so you could be having an issue there.

zed 9

Reaction score
The width is measured by the ultrasonics that are mounted on the wall. Have you verified that they are working? Not just that they are "clicking", but actually working. There are tests that you can do using the VT board mounted in the JO cabinet. If you don't have the VT manual, I suggest you get a copy. As for problem 2, there is no electrical brake. It is controlled by the VFD, so you could be having an issue there.
Okay thank you Koliver i will check these out

zed 9

Reaction score
Hopefully Koliver is reading this thread, regarding problem 1 i have with the width measurement first of all i have got myself a copy of the VT manual and have read through the section for calibration.
Looking at the VT controller the first problem i see is the red Error /Warning LED is blinking all the time and the green Run LED is on.
When i rotate the VT controller selector switch to position 1 ( Error Display ) #2 LED is on; Right calibration value outside range error, can you explain to me what this is referring to and how to remedy this error.
I have also checked the side ultrasonics, by using the target method (my target is a side panel from the 4000 pump stand) i can hear the Left ultrasonic "clicking" very clearly at 45 inches from sensor to target but the Right ultrasonic the "clicking" is very faint, you can only just hear it at the same distance to the target.

koliver

PDQ Sales Engineer
Reaction score
Hopefully Koliver is reading this thread, regarding problem 1 i have with the width measurement first of all i have got myself a copy of the VT manual and have read through the section for calibration.
Looking at the VT controller the first problem i see is the red Error /Warning LED is blinking all the time and the green Run LED is on.
When i rotate the VT controller selector switch to position 1 ( Error Display ) #2 LED is on; Right calibration value outside range error, can you explain to me what this is referring to and how to remedy this error.
I have also checked the side ultrasonics, by using the target method (my target is a side panel from the 4000 pump stand) i can hear the Left ultrasonic "clicking" very clearly at 45 inches from sensor to target but the Right ultrasonic the "clicking" is very faint, you can only just hear it at the same distance to the target.

If you put the VT board in position F, you can test the right ultrasonic. You will need someone to watch the LED's while you move the target in and out. Don't just go by the "clicks." See that as the LED changes, you are within the range it states in the manual. Next, I would go through the calibration process. Make note of how the arch should be positioned on the left and the right. This is generally an area where people make a mistake during the process. This almost sounds like the error you are getting due to calibration.

Do you have the blue ultrasonics or the smaller black ones? If you do need to replace, upgrade to the smaller black ones as they should be less expensive. The first time you will need to replace both, but after that you can change them individually.

zed 9

Reaction score
Kris, i have carried out the ultrasonic width calibration as per all steps in the VT manual and the Left ultrasonic calibrates good, all steps complete.
I put the VT board selector switch in position F and reposition the arch, and continue to calibrate the Right ultrasonic i got to step 4 and when moving the target in range there was no one short signal sound from the buzzer and moving the target out of range there no two short signals sound from the buzzer, i installed a new right ultrasonic with new cable supplied run back to the VT controller board J6 connection, carried out the right calibration procedure again and now have a complete right calibration with no VT board Error/ Warning LED blinking

But observing the arch when a car is being washed it looks like the arch is still to far out on the right ultrasonic side, more than about 17 inches but i haven't measured this yet.
The Laserminder width measurement setting is 4. Also when i select position C on VT board L Arch Buffer i get LED 8 flashing and LED 7 and 6 on,
which appears correct to the LED Description in the VT manual page 29 (LED 7 and 6 are on the right of flashing LED 8 ) but when i move selector switch to position D, R Arch Buffer i have LED 1 flashing and LED 2 and 3 on ( LED 2 and 3 are on the left of flashing LED 1, is this correct ?? ) or have i missed something.

Best regards
zed9