What's new

Lustra Shield vs Rain X

carnut2

Express Exterior
Reaction score
We have been using CSI's Lustra Shield for our top wash polish package, but have had many a customer inquire about Rain-X. Is there a decided difference in cost, performance, or maintenance?

JustClean

Reaction score
I have Lustra products in our SS and I am happy with them. I was using Blendco Durashield in the automatic and was also very happy with it. Then I tried Rain-X because some people were raving about it. I had to replace it immediately after I got complaints from customers about spotting. I tested it with my own car (more and less product until almost none). The result was just crap. I was getting spots all over my car and couldn't get them off anymore. Maybe it is different with a different machine. Maybe it works with a machine that has a really fine mist but it definitely doesn't work with my machine. Why should I risk customer complaints when I already have a great product? And apart from making advertising for big companies just give your polish a special name (magic protectant or whatever) and use what you think is best for your customers.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
We have been using CSI's Lustra Shield for our top wash polish package, but have had many a customer inquire about Rain-X. Is there a decided difference in cost, performance, or maintenance?
The post following yours notwithstanding (I have tunnels with no spotting issues, nor have i heard of tunnels with this issue)

I have posted before tat name recognition means a lot. Example. If I have 2 vendors side by side, and one has Armor all products like tire shine and Protectant and one has a little or unknow product that is 10x better, the Armor All will outsell it 10 to 1. Some, items surprisingly like my custom fresheners do well compared to little trees, but they get a lot of exposure as a giveaway as well with my top package.

JustClean

Reaction score
The post following yours notwithstanding (I have tunnels with no spotting issues, nor have i heard of tunnels with this issue)

I have posted before tat name recognition means a lot. Example. If I have 2 vendors side by side, and one has Armor all products like tire shine and Protectant and one has a little or unknow product that is 10x better, the Armor All will outsell it 10 to 1. Some, items surprisingly like my custom fresheners do well compared to little trees, but they get a lot of exposure as a giveaway as well with my top package.
Okay, I must admit in our area Rain-X has no brand recognition. I like the Windscreen stuff (which is totally different) but I had to take it out of my vending machine as it was using space and nobody bought it.

chadrpalmer

Reaction score
where we are, the rain-x names does make a difference...what sucks is that the distributor has exclusive rights in this area, and they get a premium because they have no competition.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
RainShield is $479.00 for 15 gallons and is very concentrated so it lasts a LONG time.

SonofOsirus

Reaction score
To brand or not to brand...

In our tunnel, Eco Express in Denver, we had ran RainX for the better part of a year and had the same question. We use it as an up sell into our top $12 package and were eager to know if it specifically effected the buying decision. Sure everyone recognizes the name but does the name or product performance actually get them to spend more? Of course there are many variables; ones that can be controlled and those that can not. We did our best to make sure during a test period that all things were dialed and everything in our grasp stayed consistent.

So for a 3 month period we tracked our package sales & upgrades after updating all the print marketing, employee sales pitches (when asked by customers) and our Autosentry screens. At the three month point we switched all the marketing and product out for LustraShield and ran for another 3 months.
After it was all said and done the % of people buying the top package actually increased with LustraShield about 1%, which is statistically a zero because of a margin for error.

Both products perform very well when applied correctly, although they have slightly different properties that some may prefer over the other. So the 25-30% lower cost per application of LustraShield made it clear what we were going to use. Also the heavy handed approach of Ecolab to make sure you are using their recommended amount per application(no running it thin or you will get your hand slapped) and marketing meets their specifications was a bit off putting.

Maybe someone has or is willing to do a similar market study at their site and put up the info?

Shane

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Both products perform very well when applied correctly, although they have slightly different properties that some may prefer over the other. So the 25-30% lower cost per application of LustraShield made it clear what we were going to use. Also the heavy handed approach of Ecolab to make sure you are using their recommended amount per application(no running it thin or you will get your hand slapped) and marketing meets their specifications was a bit off putting.

Maybe someone has or is willing to do a similar market study at their site and put up the info?

Shane
I can understand how a mfgr would have an interest in quality. I woul see Coke being upset if you skimped on the syrup in your restaurant fountain. I could also see some advertising / marketing parameters. I am curious to know what their specifications are. Ecolab does not seem to care that you can get products of equal or better quality for less money. It seems their reps will tout the value of the service they provide. Whether or not you have any need for that service is another matter.

I know Ecolab monitors this board. If they note what appears to be heavy handed tactics by distributors like enforcing exclusivity as reported here (I have no firsthand experience with this) or overcharging which may or may not pose some legal issues as well as account for lagging sales, perhaps they will take appropriate action.

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
Just a little info for SonofOsirus...

At our wash we have been using lustrashield for about 2 years now. (Previously used Rain-X as well) Traditionally, we had upgraded wash sales of about 65-70% and lustrashield of about 15-22% depending on the time of year. About a year ago I implemented a value-based pricing structure for our top two packages which promoted including lustrashield at a percieved savings.

Long story short, we increased our upgraded wash and lustrashield sales by about 8% per month on average with approx. $35,000 in extra revenue without adding any labour.

If you would like more info please send me a message.