What's new

lonely warrior

Etowah

samachavan

Reaction score
Dear friends,
Car wash industry is mature and of billion in US and other western countries. In India it is in nascent stage. The first standalone car wash station was opened in India last year supplied by local manufacturer.
I am planning to open IBA-Touch-free in PUNE city of maharashtra state of India. It will be first of our city. Being nascent stage industry in India we do not have ready made market research reports, consultants, technical information etc. I have collected primary information from internet. So I am lonely warrior here and looking to share your practical experience.
Right now I have two queries,
1. I have identified location for car washing station where people mostly from high society come for shopping. The proposed area has in addition to street shopping plaza, has 4 big shopping malls and 2 clubs where oftenly rich people use to visits. Most of time I have seen this area crowded with cars (mostly luxury segment cars) than other part of city. Area has good access and car parking space. Statically speaking PUNE city has population of above 4 million and car population of 0.4 million growing @ 30%. Entry location to this area has 12 hour traffic count of 79000 of which 12% are cars that is 9500. My question is that will people came for shopping or in club visit my station for washing a car?
2. From literature survey I came to know that maintenance of car washing equipment is very crucial for success in car washing business. As I said above in India trained technical skill required for maintenance of car wash equipment is yet not developed. So I have decided to go for IBA-Touch-free having comparatively less maintenance than friction. Since India has only one manufacturer which lack both in quality and technology. So I have decided to go for import of most sophisticated equipment that can maintain and repaired in house. Is it possible to do maintenance & repairing of equipment in-house? PLC technicians are available India.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Since your market is raw, so to speak, I would start with the fundamentals.

Although there are obvious differences in culture and attitudes and habits, the carwash industry in the U.S. and other countries do seem to have one thing in common; success is primarily a function of the loyalty business model.

Therefore, before you buy and install anything, I would consider spending the effort and time to determine what motorists desire and need by conducting consumer surveys.

1) Would consumers prefer hand wash or automatic wash
2) Would they prefer touch-less or friction or both
3) How long would they be willing to wait in line for a wash
4) What type of services are important to them
5) What price would they like to pay
6) When would they be more inclined to wash
7) What amenities or other services would they like to be offered at the store

Etc.

Once you determine who your customers are and what is important to them, you will be in a better position to develop a value proposition and business model to satisfy them.