What's new

Let me know what you think about this menu.

APW

Reaction score
Let me know what you think. Is there really a need to offer Rain-X and armor all on the same top wash?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i would do rainx on top wash and wax on second from top. i would list all items individually for top wash; not just: "ulimate plus xxx".

since so few people get the lower priced packages i would go higher. mine is 8,9,10 12 and 90+% get top pkg.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I think it is fine but I agree with Waxman about listing everything you get on the top package. I would take the Rain X out of the top package but no big deal if you don't. I think the pricing is fine for Georgia.

APW

Reaction score
Do you think Rain X has a better name recognition than Armorall extreme shine?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Bot really. Both are popular brand names with ArmorAll being better known.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I could get on board with armorall on top pkg. but i do think you should downplay your lower pkgs and UP sell your top by making them more descriptive and more she bang! My bottom says: " wet wash " . it is 'ho-hum' on purpose. marketing 101.

APW

Reaction score
TSS is designing the new IMENU 2 led lit sign for me. He is suppose to make the top packages pop with icons and such. I'll post a pic when he sends me a proof.

L

loewem

I like the idea of having the armor all on the top package and to include all the options included with the top package. I used rainx and armor all for a while and it was sold to me as though they needed to be used together for best results. I'm less clueless now than I was when I was using the rainx and armor all. Not much, but definitely less. I like the marketing 101 lesson. Makes good sense. I would vote for using the armor all on the top package based upon my experience which I'll explain.

I used rainx for a while and wasn't happy with it at all. I wanted badly to be able to market rainx at my wash and about drove the chemical rep crazy trying to get it to work well. In fact, the chemical rep sold me on the armor all (ridiculously expensive) by saying that pairing the two together would produce great results. It did, but I think it was the armor all and not the rainx producing the great results. When I used the armor all I was very impressed with the finish. A month or so after getting the armor all I tried some platinum car wash products platinumcw.com. Great results, great service, much more reasonable price so I switched. Once the armor all was gone I took the rainx and used it on the self serve side. Same poor results as on the automatic side and I tried everything I could think of to make it work. I switched to the platinum cherry clear coat/drying agent on the self serve side and the results were great, especially compared to the rainx. I wanted to market the names (rainx and armor all), but I'm more concerned about seeing great results.

An operator who's been in the business for 30 years encouraged me to try the platinum products. He doesn't have anything to gain from recommending it and the distributor let me try it for free. I swear by it. Less expensive, use less of the product and it provides great results. As good as blue coral, rainx and armor all - if not better.

Thanks for the post and responses. Not sure if my thoughts help, but this was helpful to me. Need to change my sign.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Just my opinion I used AA on my Laserwash and liked it but Bodysheild puts rain-x to shame so so much better results for the same price but the extreme shine is the top wax they have to offer looks good I had the exact same sets up except Bodysheild where your applying rain x I got a buddy of mine on it he has the same set up and he is on the form. Apply extreme shine wax as a low pressure for the best results then rinse with water saver Bodysheild and the car will have a good glossy finish

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
A lot depends on whether you feel performance or brand name is more important. There are several better products like this on the market that are better than Armorall or RainX. You have to decide what your customers would want.

washnshine

Reaction score
Regardless of which product line you feel has better name recognition, keep in mind the "hot wax" or "carnauba wax" products are designed to create more shine and have a higher contact angle than the "rain x" or "total vehicle protectant" products. It is probably best to keep the wax product on your top package, as it is designed to be the ultimate in protection, essentially being the next generation of protection since rain x type products.

I know some brands certainly outperform others and cost vs. brand recognition vs. performance all factor in to our decisions. I'm sure some operators who only use one of these products may feel they prefer a one companies tvp over another companies wax, but within any one product line, manufacturers generally formulate and market their wax to be the "top" protection product they offer.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am definitely one to try different chemicals from time to time. I was convinced of the potential for savings when i saw how my cost of goods sold dropped considerably last year. i place large soap orders with kleen rite now. they have a special this month; free shipping on orders over $750. i have been using more simoniz products because the price and value are there for me. i use pink foam conditioner and poly sealant at my wash. i keep it simple and use correct powder / foam additive in IBA, SS HP soap and foamy brush. awesome show, great cleaning, great value. you can get caught up spending thousands more than you need to on chems, IMO.

for $750 i bought enough soap for 10+ barrels of nice strong hi-ph presoak. that's pretty good. customers are happy.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Regardless of which product line you feel has better name recognition, keep in mind the "hot wax" or "carnauba wax" products are designed to create more shine and have a higher contact angle than the "rain x" or "total vehicle protectant" products. It is probably best to keep the wax product on your top package, as it is designed to be the ultimate in protection, essentially being the next generation of protection since rain x type products.

Just keep in mind that while the "wax" products create better shine the "protectant" type products produce better and longer protection. Several years ago I was involved in a marketing study done nationwide by a major car wash products chemical company concerning what car wash customers considered the most important in a wash. It was interesting to see that protection was actually the number three concern with shine coming in second - both of those behind number one - clean.

L

loewem

Great information in this thread. Thanks

What does contact angle mean?

washnshine

Reaction score

washnshine

Reaction score

Just keep in mind that while the "wax" products create better shine the "protectant" type products produce better and longer protection. Several years ago I was involved in a marketing study done nationwide by a major car wash products chemical company concerning what car wash customers considered the most important in a wash. It was interesting to see that protection was actually the number three concern with shine coming in second - both of those behind number one - clean.
rph9168,

I have no doubt about the study and its validity - that is good to know, but in personal experience, using both rain-x and other "protectant" type products in the past, they certainly do not outlast my current wax product - Hot Wax and Shine. The longevity of the water repellency is as long, if not longer than any other type of spray on, rinse off protectant I have personally used with the hot wax. There may be some that are better, and I'm sure some are not as good - I sure have not tried them all, but in my experience with the product, you can obtain both the shine and longevity of protection. I don't have too many (regular) customers who are going to go the end of that protection period on any of those products.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“Is there really a need to offer Rain-X and armor all on the same top wash?”

No. The reason is there is no accumulative effect. In fact, if you apply hot wax that contains carnauba, there is no good reason to apply clearcoat or drying agent either.

As for menu “express” is generally used to convey the notion of speed or faster process.

However, as customer, I see basic wash and wet car for $6.00. Hmmmm.

$2.00 more and I get side blaster and undercarriage, clearcoat and dryer. I’d buy that.

Here, you would get $2.00 more less additional electric, water, chemical cost.

$2.00 more and I get “double” wash, tri-foam conditioner and rain-x.

Sounds like good deal. However, does double wash mean express and super wash suck? What does conditioner do? My car has paint not hair. If rain-x is complete protection does this mean clearcoat is not?

Here, you would get $2.00 more less additional electric, water and chemical (significant) cost. So, contribution margin of ultimate is less than super.

Premium is even worse. You only get $2.00 more, less $0.75 to $1.25 cost per application.

I see this with many menus. The emphasis is on price and selling products instead of service or value-added.

For example, rain-x and hot wax are designed to provide shine as well as extended protection (30 day products). The current menu leaves out 1/2 of the product’s attributes and benefits.

It seems like you are leaving a lot of money on the table.

APW

Reaction score
This is the proof. Im not going to put Rain X on the top package, only on the $10. Please let me know what yall think.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I am telling you try Bodysheild by armorall just one time and you will throw rocks at Rain-X. Menu Looks good I have never seen a menu sign where its that simple maybe too simple. How does the customer know if there getting under carriage or dryers.

APW

Reaction score
Everything $8 and up has dryers and UC. Im like you I think it might be better to spell out each wash.