What's new

Length of boom hose.

APW

Reaction score
I want to order the perfect length of boom hose for my self service bays. My bays are 14' wide and 20' long. The hp boom is about 9' from the floor to bottom of boom. What would you say the right length would be to order. I want the perfect setup for my customers. Not too much hose draggin the ground or causing issues for them. Thanks.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Can't give you an answer. But I can tell you what I have done. Had longer hoses of about 20 feet and the loop hit the floor when used and at rest in the holder. Hose seemed to wear at that contact point. Now have 18 footers and hose is just off the floor at rest and does not touch when in use but is long enough.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Wow! My bays are 26' long and my hoses are only 13' 6" from the boom to the gun. My booms are about 5' long. Are you guys measuring from the swivel all the way to the gun?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
From the swivel since that is the length I replace.

Randy

Reaction score
I have 2 hoses on the boom. A 7 foot hose that connects to the boom swivel and goes through the boom with a swivel on the end of that hose and a 12 foot that connects from there to the gun with another swivel at the gun. We make all of our hoses.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I have 2 hoses on the boom. A 7 foot hose that connects to the boom swivel and goes through the boom with a swivel on the end of that hose and a 12 foot that connects from there to the gun with another swivel at the gun. We make all of our hoses.
I can guess at the reason for this setup. However could you please share? Are they both the same diameter? What type of swivel?

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
HP hose: Boom outlet to floor PLUS 3 feet
FB hose: Boom outlet to floor PLUS 4 feet

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I have the same setup, and I have a minor problem with the hoses wearing at the end of the boom. What hose protector/spring do you use to prevent that, or is it not a problem for you?

Randy

Reaction score
We use a 3/8” Goodyear Neptune hose. We use a Fluid systems Ball bearing swivel KR #SW0260 with 3/8” coupler on the downstream side of the swivel in the middle of the hose, we use the same swivel on the gun. With the swivel on both ends of the hose it helps the hose turn for the customer and keeps it from getting twisted. We do the same on the Foam brush hose.

Paul I’ve had the same problem over the years. I use the Zierden 204 boom with the heavy spring on the end of the of the boom. When I install a new boom pipe, all it is is 1” electrical conduit, I bent the end of the boom down at the end to about a 22 deg. angle, I also slip a piece of electrical shrink tubing over the hose where it comes out of the boom.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I have the same setup, and I have a minor problem with the hoses wearing at the end of the boom. What hose protector/spring do you use to prevent that, or is it not a problem for you?
Depending on your boom type.... all are different. I would suggest a shorter hp hose..... then a coupling, ss 3"-4" nipple then an elbow.

I also use 3 hp hoses! What do I win? :)

http://cwguy.com/?p=2462

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I make my thru-boom hose just long enough so that only the threads and the wrench flats are exposed. The sleeve part of the fitting rests on the inside of the boom pipe so wear is not an issue. This works great if you make your own hoses, not as well when someone else makes them and does you a "favor" by making them a little longer.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I've experimented with different lengths and have found that the right hose for me while in the holder loops just above the floor. This gives the customer enough slack to get around their vehicle and gives me just short enough hose to keep from dragging on the concrete creating a weak spot on the hose. I use 1/4" hoses.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I like 1/4" hp hose as foam brush hose. :) I use that at one of my washes to cut down in foam brush theft.....

Randy

Reaction score
The Zierden booms are spring loaded and I have a pole with hook on the end that I use to pull the boom down as far as it will go and have my helper hold the pole, that way I don’t have to get on a ladder to change the lower hose, it always seems the lower hose breaks before the upper hose. I make the upper hose or thru-boom hose long enough to do that. I make the lower hose so there is about 8 inches from the bottom curl to the floor when the gun is in the holder. If your hoses are long enough to drag on the floor they are too long, they should never to dragged on the floor.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I use hp detachable fittings so anyone can steal my hp setup! Also I use my arms to grab the hose and pull the spring loaded boom to remove the detachable fitting. :) This way when a mud rider spends $2 and runs over my $50 hp gun setup it is fast to replace...... Is this the correct post? LOL :)

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I like your sense of humor! :)