What's new

laser 4000 impact

cherokee235

Reaction score
We have been fighting this for months. I've read several threads about this:

I also sent a query to PDQ and they answered back with the following:

The trolley will stop going to the right at the back of the vehicle for two reasons (according to CPU logic):
1. The right limit turns on (input X23)
2. The correct number of input pulses are seen from the measurement prox switch (input X30)

One of these two things is happening.

I doubt that the issue is due to a false input on the right limit. Therefore, I assume that it is an issue with the number of inputs being received from X30.

One thing that can cause the issue:
In the VT board logic, if the right limit X23 and the measure input X30 are on simultaneously (the VT tracks both inputs), then the pulse count equals 0. This usually only can occur at the right limit when the prox switch is on the flag.
However, if the VT sees this input on when the trolley is in motion, it can reset the pulse count to 0. This is usually the product of "ghosting" on the input where X30 may glow dimly due to VFD voltage in the festoon cable. A bad ground can cause ghosting as well. It only takes somewhere around 3.3 volts DC to trigger the input at the VT board.

If this happens, the trolley will be on the left of the vehicle. The VT will think that the trolley is on the right (pulse count = 0). As the trolley moves to the right, the left hand pulses will be passed through to the input X30. Normally the left pulses will not be passed through as they should be invisible to the CPU.

So, if this happens, then the trolley will stop in the middle of the bridge, the arch will rotate 270° and it will run into the back of the vehicle.

Best Regards,
PDQ Support

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 10/20/2020 10:26 AM
To: support@pdqinc.com
Subject: Form Submission from opwglobal.com

opwglobal.com

We have tried everything suggested from the posts with no success. Every couple of days it stops early on the back and drags across the trunk or tailgate and impact switch stop. It always happens on cycle 1. Note: we tried the shielded cable from x30 sensor all the way back to JO with no success, so we replaced all our festoon cables, thereafter with the same failure results. x30 and x23 sensor and cables new. New "picket fence". New trolley rollers. New vt board. New passenger side sonic. Cleaned and remounted all ground wires. Recalibrated the vt today and numerous times before.

Today we disconnected the passenger side sonic and it measures wide when it dumps on the first pass, but when it gets to the back it measures short and drags the arch down the passenger side of the vehicle. This we can duplicate and it happened every time. This is something different. What is going on with that? I thought is would measure to the right limit with no sonic????

We reconnected the passenger side sonic and it washed fine on the test cycles. However, it may wash ok for 15 cars then measure narrow on the back and impact the bumper.

We are seeing some ghosting on x23 (right limit) which could be an issue. How can we stop that?

Also, x23 has the 4 wire cable in it from sensor to J4. I read somewhere that the 4 wire cable is inferior to the 3 wire.
X30 has the 3 wire cable.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I am concerned about x23 ghosting, and I am puzzled as to why it hit my truck every time after the sonic was unplugged.

Thanks,
David

Last edited:

cherokee235

Reaction score
More information

It just failed again. This time on the first pass as usual but it was a bug pass. As it came back to the passenger side it only went right toward passenger side half way, reversed toward the driver's side made a 90 degree turn, went to the back, turned to 180, went half way, turned to 270 and impacted the bumper and impact switch stopped.

This leads me to believe it must be x23 circuit. It can't stop going to the right on the bug pass unless it sensed right limit.

I'm going to run a shielded cable from JO to J4 to see if I can eliminate the ghosting at x23 input.

David

Last edited:

mikewash

Reaction score
Replace the speed controller in the jo, it is the source of all the ghosting on the inputs. When you replaced the passenger side ultrasonic if you reused the old ultrasonic cable, i would replace that cable.
I forgot to add, if you have not replaced the vt board relay in the jo, do that first

Eugene

Old Man
Reaction score
Try the MId Limit prox sw . Mine does strange stuff when it goes out .

chevyguy09

Reaction score
What about age and condition of your festoon cable? You could be getting a false input that would not be able to see by watching the input?

cherokee235

Reaction score
Forgot to write, we replaced the festoon cable too.

I got the x23 shielded cable run this afternoon. It stopped the ghosting. I'll post back in a few days or earlier if it impacts.

David

cherokee235

Reaction score
Replace the speed controller in the jo, it is the source of all the ghosting on the inputs. When you replaced the passenger side ultrasonic if you reused the old ultrasonic cable, i would replace that cable.
I forgot to add, if you have not replaced the vt board relay in the jo, do that first
Speed controller replaced last year. Ultrasonic cable replaced last month along with ultrasonic. VT board replaced about 2 years ago. I never considered it to be an issue. Will keep that in mind.

David

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Every time I have had this issue, its been the right limit. The factory limit proximity sensors somehow build up a charge and will sink just enough voltage for the computer to sense that the sensor is on. The computer appears to ignore the signal until it makes it past halfway on the rear of the car. The problem is very few aftermarket sensors can fit in the hole for the right limit because of interference with the swivel. It has to be a short 30mm npn shielded sensor that can read enough distance to make up for the slop in the trolley travel. The shielded cable will help with EMI from the VFD as will making sure the ferrite filter is in place on the output of the drive.

cherokee235

Reaction score
Every time I have had this issue, its been the right limit. The factory limit proximity sensors somehow build up a charge and will sink just enough voltage for the computer to sense that the sensor is on. The computer appears to ignore the signal until it makes it past halfway on the rear of the car. The problem is very few aftermarket sensors can fit in the hole for the right limit because of interference with the swivel. It has to be a short 30mm npn shielded sensor that can read enough distance to make up for the slop in the trolley travel. The shielded cable will help with EMI from the VFD as will making sure the ferrite filter is in place on the output of the drive.
Forgive me for my ignoarance, but what is the ferrite filter and where is it located on the output drive?

and what does npn stand for?

Is this it???

With respect to sensors, an NPN device is one that can switch the negative side of the circuit while a PNP device switches the positive side. ... NPN sensors are sometime called “sinking sensors” because they sink ground to the output. The term “load” identifies the device the sensor powers.Jan 18, 2011

David

Last edited:

mikewash

Reaction score
I have a spare security camera that I aim into the jo at the inputs/ outputs to record what going on, have you tried that?

cherokee235

Reaction score
Well, bummer,

It just failed. Same place, about 4 pickets from the left side of the fence at the 270 turn, first pass. It's always the same place.

cherokee235

Reaction score
No, I don't have a camera.

In regards to the 30mm sensor, how would I know if WET is sending me a npn shielded sensor? What is the catalog number and who makes it? I assume Telemecanique????? Could you give me the exact number so I can ID the right part.

We have replaced x23 and can do it again, but I want to make sure it is the correct one.

David

WW7392

Reaction score
No, I don't have a camera.

In regards to the 30mm sensor, how would I know if WET is sending me a npn shielded sensor? What is the catalog number and who makes it? I assume Telemecanique????? Could you give me the exact number so I can ID the right part.

We have replaced x23 and can do it again, but I want to make sure it is the correct one.

David
If it is happening in the same spot every time, this to me screams broken festoon wire. I would try to run a spare for the limit prox switch.

cherokee235

Reaction score
Well, I replaced x23 and now a new problem. It measured wide at the front of my pickup on the creep left when I tested it then it measured within an inch from the side when it made its 270 to come up the driver's side which would drag the nozzles down the side of the truck.

I tried it again and it washed ok.

Then I replaced x30 and it did the same thing as above again

I tried it a 4th time and it worked.

I put it out of service. I'm about ready to give up on automatics.

Then I got a phone call from the customer whose bumper it hit and she said the soap dried on her car and she can't get it off. She is coming in tomorrow for me to get it off. It is hard to get off because it happened to my truck. I had to polish it off with polishing compound.

I am really discouraged.

David

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Bummer news! Yes that's what npn means. The ferrite filter is a donut looking thing made of ferrite that the wires wrap around then go from the VFD (speed controller) to the terminal strip in the J0 cabinet (on 4000's with a virtual treadle anyway). Its designed to reduce noise (electromagnetic interference) that comes from operating motors at frequencies other than 60hz. Is the right limit switch you put in a new factory one? or a used one? My experience is the telemecanique OEM switches will cause this issue as they age. With the right limit new, and the x30 new, the next thing (or maybe should have been first thing) to do is swap the interposing relay that comes with the virual treadle retrofit. After that, possibly the virtual treadle control board. Its such an intermittent and frustrating problem, that throwing parts is the most cost effective way to solve it. Usually, it will only happen once a week. At least yours is possibly 'realiably failing'!

rhino

Reaction score
We had an issue somewhat similar but it would only happened on HP passes. Turned out to be the bridge rollers were worn and the machine was drifting and missing a some of the pulse bar and it was moving across the front of the vehicles.

mac

Reaction score
Well I do feel for you. Haven't worked on a PDQ in years so can't give you things to check, but my guess is that you may have more than one thing causing this. I know how frustrating and expensive it can be to just throw parts and money at problems. Please let us know what's causing this when you find out.