What's new

Is this swivel broken?

Mohrenberg

Reaction score
So I'm rebuilding a 2 bay self serve, and I have a leaking swivel on my boom.
I found a swivel which appeared to be new, still in an oiled ziplock bag with documents.
I installed the "new" one only to have it leak just like the old one.

It's entirely possible the last owner put a broken one in the new bag when he replaced it, as he appeared to collect a lot of broken parts.

I just want to confirm this swivel is shot and I'm not missing something.

See attached video.
Excuse my voice, I'm currently sick.

Attachments

Mohrenberg

Reaction score
I'd have to say that that swivel is BAD!
I didn't want to spend a bunch more money on swivels, and crawling in the attic If I was just doing something wrong and didn't realize it.

Thanks! Guess I'll place an order.

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
Why is there a working swivel there anyway? This is what you should be using on a fixed hose:

Randy

Reaction score
Why is there a working swivel there anyway? This is what you should be using on a fixed hose:

We stay away from using steel fittings on any of the car wash systems, they tend to rust out and cause problems down the road. We only use brass or stainless steel fittings.

MEP001

Reaction score
Steel is fine downstream of the pump. All the hose fittings downstream of the pump are steel anyway. If they made that elbow fitting in stainless I'd probably use that instead.

OurTown

Reaction score
I bought a couple of stainless non-working swivels from Kleen-Rite and could not believe how much smaller the ID was compared to the plated steel ones. I ended up using some new steel ones.

MEP001

Reaction score
I get these direct for like $9 apiece. They're full 3/8" ID. I've had to redo several Coleman washes and they use steel ones, lots of them. Half the time I have to cut them off and put a new end on the hose because they don't come loose, or they just break.

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
Looks like you over tightened the swivel and split the brass.
As others mentioned, no reason to have a swivel there. Use a brass or stainless 90" with some thread sealant and tignten properly with the proper size open end wrench, not channel locks or pipe wrenches.
Do not use steel pipe, it only takes a very small piece of rust to clog your nozzle at the wand.

Etowah