What's new

Internet speed for video surveillance system

1carwash1

Reaction score
What internet service speed would be best so that I could monitor my car wash remotely. Is cable any better than DSL? Anything I need to look out for?
Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
I doubt anyone even offers an internet service with a low enough bandwidth that it would be a problem.

KleanRide

Reaction score
I'm getting cable service through Spectrum. The upload speed is what you need to pay attention to. They claim that I'm getting 10 MB per second but speed tests usually show more like 6-8. So far that's been plenty fast enough to run eight 4K cameras.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
I have 3 Lorex systems (16,16, & 32 cameras) I run them with Spectrum Internet at 10MB per second and they run good. For 16 channel system Lorex recommends at least 10 MBs

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
No issues viewing remotely but if I try to re play something the lag is too much so as to make it all butimpossible.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
No issues viewing remotely but if I try to re play something the lag is too much so as to make it all butimpossible.
That could be a helpful observation. The question is at what point for playback .... is the bandwidth too slow??? I wonder if a remote server such as SplashTop would eliminate the slow playback. Some of those remote desktop apps allow for a temporary log in .... just in case on a dedicated computer or dvr or nvr ... law enforcement requested the ability to thoroughly study the footage. I remember a horrific amount of personal time loss years ago .... when I allowed the local PD detectives at my side going back when they could not pinpoint "potential clues" exact time close enough. It was related to a "jeffrey dahmer (body parts) like murder" that occurred close-by in our normally low crime rate city!

Not sure how it is in some of the huge metro areas like your in ... how many businesses are strong enough to be able to volunteer to help ... or if seizure??? ... subpoena??? .... to use the businesses' video resources as a non reimbursed requirement by their sometimes all encompassing laws???

Last edited:

Roz

Reaction score
We have a Lorex 4K system too. Lesson learned. The monitor they include in the package deals cannot show 4K so the NVR system dumbs down the video to match highest res of the monitor (about 2k). If you try to switch to 4K res on the NVR it will make the monitor go blank such that you need to reset the NVR to factory settings to get the screen back. We purchased a $350 4k monitor from Costco to use with our system so everything is recording in 4K - much better quality when you zoom in on a license plate. I have talked with their tech support for various issues with their equipment (when I can get them on the phone). The tech people think the cheaper monitor was packaged into the system to reach a specific price point. Unfortunately it defeats the purpose of investing in a 4K system. FYI - Their 4k bullet cameras do not seem to last long in a IBA bay given the moisture in the bay, even with a protective sleeve around the CAT5 cable to the camera cable. So far they have been good about replacing them.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
If you have slow internet, there is a possible workaround. If you can access your DVR files directly, try doing a batch download of the desired video files. You can set that download to run, then go and do other things while it does its work. For one incident a while ago, I set the download to run at 10pm as I knew it would take a looooong time to download all the files. When I got up the next morning it was completed.

Once a copy of the downloaded file(s) is on your local computer, you can view them without any lag at all.