What's new

Intermittent Softgloss Code 14

Stumpy

Reaction score
Hello Softgloss whisperers,

I have a softgloss xs that has been sporadically stopping and giving me a code 14 over the past few days. Some days it works flawlessly, other days I'll get these errors. I have checked there are no foreign items on the track, cleaned the switch and adjusted it slightly closer to the end run strip.

It always happens at the front of the car, but at different times/stages during wash. When I check after the failure, both the end prox switch is lit and the input 23 is lit on plc.

If I reset the error by rebooting plc, the error clears but the problem repeats as soon as the next wash begins. If I reset the error by manually moving the machine off the end track and back to start the machine will go numerous washes before failing again with code 14.

Seems like it should be the end prox switch, but both the switch and plc appear to be working.

Hopefully this will make sense to someone.
Thanks.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
When the machine is parked at home position, you should have PLC input X7 for the front endstop turned on. As the machine drives forward, that prox should detect the target and cause the machine to decelerate until it parks within 1" of the endstop bumpers with it's track stays on the inside of the machine. X23 shouldn't come into play here as that is the VFD fault input. You will get a VFD fault if that input goes off.

In your wash bay, do you have the remote communications interface box that has a touchscreen controller, or the older style that just has a 2 digit LED display? If you have the touchscreen, please go into your diagnostics screen and send me a photo of what you see. That will help me to identify what is actually happening like if it's shorted or open, and where it's happening on the tracks. If you have the older 2 digit display type, you can't access that info without an HPP.

Stumpy

Reaction score
Hello, thanks for the quick reply. Fortunately I have an HPP. The last 8 diagnostic codes (most recent first) are:
8FFF
8FFF
8FFF
8FFF

Usually the machine stops about about 1" - 2" from the end bumper, it stops about 8" from the bumper when we get the code 14.

Thanks for the help.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
Great! That helps!

8812 is front endstop prox open code, so the PLC isn't always seeing that input when it thinks it should. If it is happening in sequence code 0000 (machine not in cycle), then it's losing it while at home position. It can also happen when driving from rear to front as it is coming back to home if it isn't detected.

Stumpy

Reaction score
Yes, the sequence code is 0000 for all errors except the 8811 that has sequence code 0122.
Does this mean replace end stop prox switch?

Ryko CS

Reaction score
Most likely, yes. Possible it could be a connection, but more likely it will be the prox. Take a look at the face and make sure it hasn't shaved the front from too close of contact to the trip plate.

The 8811 code indicates the front endstop is shorted on, and the sequence code 0122 is when the machine stops at the rear of the vehicle (either because it found the rear tires with the photoeye, or at the rear endstop, and it's just getting ready for it's forward pass. If that front endstop would flicker on at that point in the wash, it would tag that code and shut down.

Stumpy

Reaction score
You were right, the face of the prox switch did look shaved once I removed it. It's replaced now and I've run a few cars through without issue.
I'm not going to jynx it until I've had a chance to sacrifice a couple of chickens to the machine also, but so far ...
Thanks!

Ryko CS

Reaction score
Glad that seems to have worked! You will want it about 1/4" (or less) away from the face of the prox to the target plate to work best.

Stumpy

Reaction score
Hi Again,
A couple of weeks and a couple of prox switches later the machine has started failing with code 14 again. I was lucky enough to watch it fail today and during the wash when it happened the wheel motors seemed a bit jerky (that's what drew my attention). When the error occured the driver's side motor engaged and passenger side didn't. This error always seems to happen in the same spot (while stopped at the front of the car then trips when starting back towards the rear). Doesn't happen every time.
Any thoughts?

Ryko CS

Reaction score
Please try to push the machine just a little and cause it to rock. If it does, most likely one (or both) of your drive wheel keystocks are either worn, or at least loose. The set screws in the reducer collars that lock the keystock into position need to be tightened monthly. If they have been loose for a while, that keystock can round off inside causing it to not drive.

If that seems solid, you may also want to look at the connection between the drive motor and reducer. If that coupler is worn, it could cause a similar effect. You may not pick up on this by rocking the machine though.

Etowah

Stumpy

Reaction score
As you suggested I tried rocking the wash and there is significant gear resistance on the drivers side and it rolls freely (except for the machine twisting) on the passenger side. The key on the passenger side is backed out a little further than the other side but, while trying to back out the set screw, I snapped the screw (grrrr). It still appears to be engaged though. The bushing that secures the motor to the frame on that side also has quite a bit of play. The replacement parts have just arrived so I plan to swap out bushings and reducers on both sides. Hopefully the problem will be obvious when I jack up the machine; I’ll let you know. Thanks.

Stumpy

Reaction score
It seems the codes were indicating secondary symptoms of the cause. Now that we have changed out the reducer gears, bushings and motor wheels on both sides the softgloss is running like a top.
The reducers had a lot of metal debris in the gear boxes and looked worn. After changing out the passenger's side, the driver's side started making a new, very unhappy noise, so I was very happy to have the parts to replace both sides.
Thanks for the help ... Im glad to making this post.