What's new

Interested in building a self service ATV Wash

MEP001

Reaction score
How would it be different from a self serve bay?

JLG26

Reaction score
How would it be different from a self serve bay?
Looking for information on how to handle the mud. Also, has anyone been successful catering to this group? When they leave our self service car wash now it's terribly nasty. I can't reasonably expect a customer with a nice car or pickup to stop & wash. This cost us business from people that would be our repeat / local customers. Often times, the mud will be on the walls & a couple of inches thick on the floor. We spend several hours every week cleaning up mud & it can all be trashed again in just a few minutes.
Also, we have a problem with the mud stopping up our catch basins & drainage system.

KleanRide

Reaction score
If they make that big of a mess, why would you even want to deal with them? I can't imagine enough ATV's in one locale to justify the cost of building something specfically for them.

Just run them off and recapture the lost business from regular car washers that left because of ATV mess.

JLG26

Reaction score
If they make that big of a mess, why would you even want to deal with them? I can't imagine enough ATV's in one locale to justify the cost of building something specfically for them.

Just run them off and recapture the lost business from regular car washers that left because of ATV mess.
I was thinking of building one just for ATV's because there's an ATV park near us. I would have to hire 24 hour security to keep them "run off" from our existing car wash. I'm trying to think of a way to turn a problem into an opportunity.

Twodose

Reaction score
It will always be a problem, even if you had a bay dedicated to muddy vehicles if there is a line for that bay customers will not wait if the other bays are open.

Couple years ago when they were running a gas pipeline in the area there were several different vehicles that would load a couple bays with mud every day, I tried to run them off, they kept coming back, so I closed all the bays down after 4pm for about a week, that is the only thing that stopped them.

MEP001

Reaction score
IMO the best way to do it would be to make it as easy as possible to clean the bay(s). I know some guys in rural areas who built their pits big enough that they can bring in a backhoe and just scoop them out. Of course you still have the mud to get rid of. You might want an extra high pressure washdown setup to make cleanup fast.

I wouldn't consider doing this unless I was sure there's enough business to justify it. What about big trucks? They spend a lot of money.

Keep in mind you'll need a full-time attendant to clean up after almost every vehicle.

sparkey

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if you have a bay dedicated for muddy vehicles. If a muddy vehicle comes in and sees a bay they don't have to wade through mud they are going to use the clean bay. All bays will end up being mud bays if you allow it.

Greg_T

Reaction score
1 Licola Road, Heyfield, Victoria, Australia
Ours is a little 3 bay wash, and we get lots of muddy 4WDs, farm vehicles etc. I have considered trying to get all muddy vehicles to use 1 bay, thus leaving the other 2 bays relatively clean and more attractive to our other customers. Maybe something like that would be an option?

Unfortunately any mud that comes off a vehicle needs to be despatched somehow. For me, that's shovels and buckets. 😩

DavidM

Reaction score
I think for an ATV bay you could use grating to allow the majority of the mud to fall through. Basically make the majority of the bay a pit instead of concrete with just a pit in the middle. If you are in an area that attracts ATVs it could be a good idea. Maybe even have a raised platform to clean the atvs on.

David

chaz

Reaction score
Raise your price to account for mud. The slobs will go elsewhere and the good customers won’t mind paying a bit more not to deal with a mess .

mac

Reaction score
Here's a slightly different take. Approach the people who own the park and see if you can make a deal with them to install a coin operated pressure washer. That way the mud stays there. Then put up signs and cameras and prosecute the ones that still come.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
"It works for the democrats." They along with the "deep state swamp leaning" mainstream media ... the way they have been getting worse & worse ... that is a valid analogy!!! I might add some republicans to that statement too!

Back to the specific original topic of "ATV MUD". We would much rather deal with mud than grease or even worse tar! A solution might be to more vigilantly remotely check on your bay cameras often enough & dispatch close by paid help or yourself for a "quick wash down" to prevent loss of all customers who will then refuse to go into mud overwhelmed bay(s).

By "quick wash down" ... our approach for over 25 years now has been to manifold ($$$3 way valves required) several bays into an outside hose reel which makes for 3 or even 4 times the water volume. Amazon sells a remote control that we bought that works well as one goes out farther from ER with the 1/2" hi pressure hose from the hose reel.

We have always had our share of ATVs & 4 wheelers who play around at our local Missouri River Bottoms. If we do catch the "revelers" in the process of leaving mud clumps etc ... we instruct them never to dig with the wand & to help clean up the mess before they drive out. In our more rural setting ... it is surprising how many customers actually do support & comply with our verbal request! Maybe it is our "personality" is what helps in that regard!? "famous last words" ... could apply here though ... trying to avoid overconfidence😊.

Piper5314

Reaction score
I'm interested in building an ATV Self Service wash. Has anyone done this?

I'm looking to do this same thing. I'm new on the forum, and just saw this subject. Any new info on the ATV wash idea?

MEP001

Reaction score
OP hasn't been back in almost a year.

traveler17

Reaction score
I'm looking to do this same thing. I'm new on the forum, and just saw this subject. Any new info on the ATV wash idea?
It’s an idea that won’t work unless you man the place during opening hours