What's new

Insurance going up $1000 for this bull$hit

soonermajic

Reaction score
Insurance company sent some dude to take pucs. Insurance co now says bldg is non-combustible rather than masonry non-combustible (whatever the hel that means). Insurance hoing up $1000/YEAR!!
WTH does that mean? It is brick & metal roof w/ 4 SS & 2 IBAs.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I am glad I invested the time to shop for my insurance last year because the new independent agent- came up with about $1,000 savings.

Hopefully, you will find a new underwriter who is more fair. Watch out to make sure you have equivalent coverage or even better coverage though!!!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I am glad I invested the time to shop for my insurance last year
Anyone else having the experience where renewal quotes seem to come just before expiration so you don't have time to shop?

soapy

Reaction score
Did you have any claims last year? It is a good idea to shop the insurance every year any way. When a insurance company decides to start insuring car washes it is usually cheaper for the first few years until claims start to occur.You can try WCA insurance, the Insurance center etc. They deal in carwashes and have a better understanding of them than most garage policies.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
So what is your building made of?

After many years with the insurance center, I had to drop them after (IIRC) a 30% increase premium. No claims in probably ten years.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Even a small claim history can make a difference when it comes to commercial insurance based on an unpleasant situation we had.

In our case about 8 years ago we had a claim .... that we listened to our agent on his recommendation ... to turn it in instead of absorbing the total cost ourselves ... we gained only about $200 considering we had $1000 deductible. That was a big mistake following that specific advice. The claim was for a rare during the day maniacal vandalism incident ... the perp knew my manager was removing snow on our skidsteer & would not be able to hear the commotion inside in this case our laundromat above its engine noise.

The reason it turned out to be a costly mistake to do the borderline claim ....was that we found out some companies have a much higher quote if you have any claims in the most recent 3 years. So we held off switching until that time period was up.

We did help the local PD via our cameras with the arrest ... & the 19 year old who was on parole at the time finally pleaded guilty. What I don't understand is why the perp did not have a judgement put on him by the district court judge to include covering what we paid out of pocket at minimum as standby restitution!!! I am not a legal eagle like Earl ... but it seems like at least a permanent restitution order should have happened without any civil action (small claims court)????

soonermajic

Reaction score
Fighting w/ insurance co now. My wash, like most, is all brick & metal (outside of hoses, wands etc).

soonermajic

Reaction score
Ok, I have told my agent it is ONLY brick & metal. He is informing insurance agency we are protesting the $1000 premium increase.
Will report back in a few days

slash007

Reaction score
My insurance went up about $300. I received a quote from another carrier that was lower and told them I was switching. They miraculously found discounts they could apply and lowered my premium to beat the other quote. I am with Everett Cash Mutual.

Randy

Reaction score
It's not really Bull$hit, it's called playing the game. How many claims have you filed in the last year? Insurance companies don't like to payout any money and when they do they'll get there money back raising your rates. Who's your insurance carrier now? I've be looking for another insurance carrier.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I am actually still arguing with them. Still to this day.
I filed 1 big claim in 5 yrs, about 9 mos ago , for $16,000. They paid out, then dropped me. I can't remember whoy insurance is with, but will find out. Soon as the yr is up, we're looking for another carrier

soapy

Reaction score
We had the same carrier on our cabin since the 70s. Power company turned off everyone's power when it was -17 below zero for maintenance. Pipes froze on hundreds of cabins. Filed one claim for 6k and were dropped the next year.