What's new

In bay tire shine

OurTown

Reaction score
We go back and forth on whether or not we want to add an in bay tire shine system. The Simoniz system made by Diskin looked nice at the car wash show but for a three bay system and the jointed booms is close to $4,000. I'm not all that excited about experimenting that much. Is there a less expensive way to put in an in bay tire shine system? It looks like it would be pretty simple to build but what would you use for a gun/brush? The Diskin brushes/hoses are about $300 each and maybe those would be good to use. They have a trigger on them and remind me of how a fragrance gun works because it looked like it atomized the chemical. Anyone here have one of the Diskin systems or built one?

soapy

Reaction score
I built a stand alone tire shine out of a old vacuum. Under$300 using the vac coin acceptor. It works great and could be adapted to a bag very easy.

OurTown

Reaction score
I built a stand alone tire shine out of a old vacuum. Under$300 using the vac coin acceptor. It works great and could be adapted to a bag very easy.

Can you give me some details?

slash007

Reaction score
I've been considering adding them as well, but I haven't been able to justify the cost for how little time I think each customer would spend using them. Been waiting on feedback, doesn't seem to be much out there.

OurTown

Reaction score
I've been considering adding them as well, but I haven't been able to justify the cost for how little time I think each customer would spend using them. Been waiting on feedback, doesn't seem to be much out there.

I think the return on one of those Diskin systems would be really long. The customer could get it done in a minute or two I bet. Does anyone know where we could try one of these in our general area? I know the closest dozen washes to us do not have such a thing. We could venture out a ways to Columbus, Cincinnati, etc.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I would venture to say that it must be water base vs. oil base then.
If so that might be good for you since water base won’t last as long on the tire and won’t sling onto the car.
That might be good because if it doesn’t last as long the customer, if happy with the result, would apply it more often if not every time they wash the car.
Would you apply it thru the gun or thru a designated tire shine brush?

OurTown

Reaction score
Would you apply it thru the gun or thru a designated tire shine brush?
Like I said before it looks like the Simoniz/Diskin system atomizes it like a fragrance machine so I don't think it can be done through the gun.

OurTown

Reaction score
Does anyone here have an in bay tire shine system? Does anyone know where I can try one that is not a ridiculous drive from Dayton OH?

OurTown

Reaction score
Update: I think this idea of having in bay tire shine is a bust. Between my JBS chemical rep, a Simoniz rep, my equipment distributor, and Jim at Etowah Valley nobody can tell me where there is one. Still waiting on Troy Diskin to call back. Several of them had very negative feelings about them and I heard all kinds of stories. Here is another issue and a reason why I can't find one even remotely close to try out: Kleen-Rite has only sold 4 five gallon buckets of the Simoniz bay tire shine so far this year and only 11 in 2018.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-44868-simoniz-bay-shine-dressing-5-gallon.aspx

soapy

Reaction score
My tires shine setups that are outside of the bay get used really heavy at 2 locations and hardly at all at one. It is a hit or miss deal I think.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
And you will always have some asshat that will use the tire shine brush thinking there is product on it without paying the same goes with foam brushes.

Randy

Reaction score
I wouldn't install tire shine in the bays or out of the bays. A friend of mine installed it at his wash. It made the pavement very slippery, it only took about 6 months before the first guy slipped and fell, shattered his elbow and broke his hip. He won a huge settlement, the insurance company cancelled his insurance and was forced to get high risk insurance. He sold out shortly after that.

Reactions: sjb

Strava

Reaction score
I wouldn't install tire shine in the bays or out of the bays. A friend of mine installed it at his wash. It made the pavement very slippery, it only took about 6 months before the first guy slipped and fell, shattered his elbow and broke his hip. He won a huge settlement, the insurance company cancelled his insurance and was forced to get high risk insurance. He sold out shortly after that.
Ouch, I was leaning towards trying tire shine in my ss bays, but after reading that, i think I'll pass...lol

washnshine

Reaction score
My JBS rep says that if you use the right type then it is not a problem.
He’s right, but when you put it in the hands of a customer vs. being applied automatically at a controlled rate in a tunnel or IBA, things can happen!

Timmb

Reaction score
I put in the Diskin (Simoniz) system 7 years ago. I go through a 5 gallon of product every 9 months.(small village wash) I have never had a slip & fall. The floor does not get slippery in the whole bay. Small spots around the tires but that where the next car pulls in & it does not stay slippery. They are putting on the tires not spraying around the bay & it only comes out when the trigger is pulled & the mist is very fine. I think I paid 3K back then for a 3 bay system.. Most people spend 1.5 to 2 min. of time.

Last edited:
Etowah