What's new

I'm interested in adding a one bay car wash/dryer to my custom home build, recommendations?

CSB282000

Reaction score
I have space to add a one bay car wash/dryer to my private residence. I typically have around 5 cars and wash them frequently and would like the convenience of washing at home if possible. Especially drying the car for an extended period and not moving it seems like would solve the problem of driving home from the car wash and having to wipe the whole car down when I get home. I would greatly appreciate thoughts and comments and any equipment recommendations. I live in Provo , Utah.

Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
You're looking at up to $10,000 or more between electrical needs, drain requirements, and the equipment itself. I would suggest instead a good pressure washer and a 2-motor shop vac with an exhaust port to which you can attach a dryer nozzle or a high-velocity blower.

FWIW, a well maintained self-service car wash will have spot free rinse. You don't need to hand dry your car if you use that last.

CSB282000

Reaction score
You're looking at up to $10,000 or more between electrical needs, drain requirements, and the equipment itself. I would suggest instead a good pressure washer and a 2-motor shop vac with an exhaust port to which you can attach a dryer nozzle or a high-velocity blower.

FWIW, a well maintained self-service car wash will have spot free rinse. You don't need to hand dry your car if you use that last.
I hear you on cost, but I'd rather pay the money. My budget is 10k - 50k for equipment and electrical/drain/etc. Ideally I want to be able to pull in, hit go on a 60 second delay or through an app and then leave the car there and not touch it. I have a pressure washer, vac and that already but I'm looking for a more hands free all-in-one solution.

copperglobe

Reaction score
By wanting to "hit go" you're thinking an automatic car wash complete with blowers with a budget of 10-50k?

HeyVern

Reaction score
If you even have access to three phase power in a residential area, it will cost you $10,000 to $15,000 just to connect.

CSB282000

Reaction score
By wanting to "hit go" you're thinking an automatic car wash complete with blowers with a budget of 10-50k?
Ya I'm guess that's not realistic? What would a realistic budget be for an automatic car wash?

CSB282000

Reaction score
If an automatic car wash isn't an option what about a built in dryer system? What would realistic cost be for just the drying portion? Like 4 big blowers on swivels or something.

Sorry I'm so clueless, thanks for the feedback.

MEP001

Reaction score
Ya I'm guess that's not realistic? What would a realistic budget be for an automatic car wash?
The cheapest one is about $100,000. That's just for the wash unit. It requires 3-phase power and a 2" water main. You probably can't even get those for residential. If you could, you're looking at $200,000 minimum to get it to run.
If an automatic car wash isn't an option what about a built in dryer system? What would realistic cost be for just the drying portion? Like 4 big blowers on swivels or something.
Same issue, you aren't likely to get 3-phase for residential, and if you could you're still looking at $30-40K.

Try a snow foam cannon and a home reverse osmosis unit. You can get a car clean by walking around and spraying it for under $10k.

CSB282000

Reaction score
The cheapest one is about $100,000. That's just for the wash unit. It requires 3-phase power and a 2" water main. You probably can't even get those for residential. If you could, you're looking at $200,000 minimum to get it to run.

Same issue, you aren't likely to get 3-phase for residential, and if you could you're still looking at $30-40K.

Try a snow foam cannon and a home reverse osmosis unit. You can get a car clean by walking around and spraying it for under $10k.
That sounds like a great option. Can you point me in the right direction on both of those?
Thanks!

washnshine

Reaction score
This might be what you are looking for. I can’t imagine it does a great job on a dirty car, but if you are washing cars that are not very dirty and wash them several times a week and keep them garaged, it might be adequate.

CSB282000

Reaction score
This might be what you are looking for. I can’t imagine it does a great job on a dirty car, but if you are washing cars that are not very dirty and wash them several times a week and keep them garaged, it might be adequate.

That's pretty sweet!! I agree I doubt it would do much for a dirty car but it might be perfect for what I need.
Thanks!!

MEP001

Reaction score
I feel like you'll become the neighborhood laughing stock for having something like that thing literally put together with lawn sprinkler parts in your garage than using professional pressure washers and chemicals and good old fashioned elbow grease. The world's premiere detailers charge between $500 and $5,000 to detail one car. Other than a garage with a floor drain, you can put together what you need for a few thousand and you'd get to take pride in your work (of which there would be very little). Search some of the detail supply sites like Griot's Garage or Chemical Guys for the snow foam cannon and other supplies. Look at techniques on YouTube channels like AmmoNYC or Car Cleaning Guru (if you can stand the way he talks).

washnshine

Reaction score
I feel like you'll become the neighborhood laughing stock for having something like that thing literally put together with lawn sprinkler parts in your garage than using professional pressure washers and chemicals and good old fashioned elbow grease. The world's premiere detailers charge between $500 and $5,000 to detail one car. Other than a garage with a floor drain, you can put together what you need for a few thousand and you'd get to take pride in your work (of which there would be very little). Search some of the detail supply sites like Griot's Garage or Chemical Guys for the snow foam cannon and other supplies. Look at techniques on YouTube channels like AmmoNYC or Car Cleaning Guru (if you can stand the way he talks).
I may have misunderstood, but I think he wants something automatic.

Might also want to look into dealership IBA’s. They usually are stripped down, no frills and have drive in/back out options.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
He does, and it seems unrealistic. The lawn sprinkler car wash you posted looks like a bad joke.

washnshine

Reaction score
He does, and it seems unrealistic. The lawn sprinkler car wash you posted looks like a bad joke.
Certainly wouldn’t be my choice, but I’m not looking for options to install in my garage! I guess that’s an added benefit to owning a wash. 😂

CSB282000

Reaction score
I think that is clearly the best low cost option with some work. Thanks for the information.

CSB282000

Reaction score

Might also want to look into dealership IBA’s. They usually are stripped down, no frills and have drive in/back out options.
What are dealership IBA's?

washnshine

Reaction score
What are dealership IBA's?
A lot of companies that make IBA’s for commercial car washes also make models that don’t have all the extra options, lights, marketing/merchandising features, sell-up
Options and features. . They are used in car dealerships where they might wash a car after service, or before delivery to a customer. Also used in car rental agencies or fleets, where they need to clean the cars, but are not interested in giving wash package upgrades , since they just want every car to get a basic cleaning. You would still need the 3 phase electric, but these would most likely be less expensive than the units designed for commercial washes. Still probably not realistic for a home garage, but it might let you see what is out there.

Here are a few:

mac

Reaction score
Istobal makes a 3 brush rollover that might fit your needs and don’t worry about the brush material. It will not scratch