What's new

If you had an IBA with no heat and wanted to add it, what would you add?

slash007

Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing a wash that has an IBA with no doors and no heat, just weep and heated floors. I would add doors right away but would still need heat and was wondering what everyone recommended. I don't see the floor heat as keeping it warm enough to do without actual heat. I would probably then stop letting the machine weep.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I had a friend that put a furnace in the equipment room and ducted it out to the bays. He told me that he paid about $1200 for stainless ductwork. I said “Couldn’t you have used 8-10” PVC pipe?”. On his next project, he did just that. I don’t think he ever regretted it for a second.

Last edited:

washnshine

Reaction score
First two replies are great - just another thought:

Something like this placed at the exit end, near the blowers(if they are drive through) can keep the blower air warmer and also create a heat curtain effect while the exit door is open and the car is leaving the bay. That is the door that will be open longer - if you have a drive through blower.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like the idea of a furnace in the equipment room away from the spray. Ducting it in with pvc sounds like an awesome idea.

I have radiant heat in mine.

Etowah

slash007

Reaction score
I have radiant tube heaters in my current wash IBA's, wondered if there was anything more efficient or better in general. Piping heat from the ER is an interesting idea. Appreciate the ideas.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I have radiant tube heaters in both my washes. We put the heater in the equip room and sleeved the tube through the block wall into the bay. The heating units dont last in the bay. With doors and floor heat you might not need additional heat.

Jsshac

Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing a wash that has an IBA with no doors and no heat, just weep and heated floors. I would add doors right away but would still need heat and was wondering what everyone recommended. I don't see the floor heat as keeping it warm enough to do without actual heat. I would probably then stop letting the machine weep.
How cold does it get in the state you’re in?

Jsshac

Reaction score
I am in the north east and I have a lot of sites that only have floor heat and don’t have a problem.

washnshine

Reaction score
First wash I worked at when I was a kid had heated rails, floor heat , doors and weep that we reserved for extreme conditions. I’m in the northeast and we never had a freeze up.

twinchester

Reaction score
The floor heat should be able to heat the bay. The addition of automatic doors designed for a carwash will help operation and allow operation in real cols weather. I use airlift doors. They also have radiant tube heaters. You need radiant heat.