What's new

ICA water study

soapy

Reaction score
The latest ICA water study found that the average IBA uses 45 gallon of fresh water per wash and that 21% of that water is carried out or evaporated and does not go down the drain. Seems like this question comes up all the time so just wanted to post this up. Study was done in 2017.

washnvac

Reaction score
I can give real world figures, as I have a sewer meter installed. I have a 4/2. Autos are Nu*Star friction machines with hp pumps. I do have reclaim for the autos only; probably for about 40% of the wash cycle. The most my sewer has ever been reduced by is 17%. The least is 8%. The average is 12%. So my average sewer cost savings per month at this location is $114. (Sewer is $4.75/1000) I have had sewer meter for 10 years, so it has paid for itself.

When I spent the $4k to put the sewer meter in, imagine my surprise at these low numbers. I have never really calculated the water usage by each auto or ss, cause there is really no point in it. We gotta have water to run; so it is what it is. We just always do our best to conserve where possible.

I know that that rain water does get into the drains, as months with a lot of rain my sewer is higher. I would design the building a little differently if I had it to do over. So in theory, the ICA study is probably pretty close on the raw numbers for evap/ carry off.