What's new

IBA Dryer Option Competing With Tunnel Washes' Cheaper Washes Including a Dryer?

Carl

Reaction score
Sometimes a new customer will come by and purchase a touch free wash that has no dryer and then will complain that "our dryer is not working." They do not see our menu sign which lists the dryer as only on our top-of-the-line wash. We apologize for their not seeing the sign and turn on the dryer for them manually hoping we do not end up losing a potential new customer but I cringe knowing that my tunnel washes competition have a dryer on their $5.00 Wash!

For us IBA guys, how do you differentiate your washes without putting the dryer option on such a cheap wash, the $5.00 Wash...or do you? I have seen many a customer who complains about getting a wash without a dryer and when we explain it's only on our most expensive wash, you can tell in their face and their march that they are never coming back so I am studying this issue to decide how to react to this without devaluing our top-of-the-line wash which is our most popular wash by far.

My four Water Wizard 1.0 washes from cheapest to most expensive are:

Wash & Rinse
Wash & Wax (no triple foam)
Deluxe Wash (everything the Super Wash has EXCEPT the dryer...has triple foam but the other two cheaper washes do not)
Super Wash (same as the Deluxe Wash but INCLUDES the dryer)

Thanks,

Carl

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Most of the washes I am familiar with only exclude the dryer on the basic package and several include it on all. A lot depends on what is available on competitive washes. I don't recall seeing one that only offered it on the top wash.

If those are the only options available on your machine I would add the dryer to the Wash & Wax and call it the Deluxe Wash eliminating the old Wash and Wax bringing you to three packages. I would then raise the price on the middle package.

Just a suggestion.

BBE

Reaction score
We only excluded it on your bottom 5 dollar wash for about 8 years or so. And yes, there were quite a few people who thought that the dryers just did not work, and we had to explain that they do not get the dryers with our lowest priced wash. Finally due to the fact that we were the only wash in town that even offered a wash that didn't include dryers we finally bit the bullet and put it on our bottom package.

However once sales of our cheapest wash started to become one of our most popular washes, we promptly raise the price of our bottom wash by 1 dollar to compensate for adding the dryers to them. This combination has been a win for us.

BBE

Reaction score
BBE did you end up adding drying agent to your base wash package too for a dryer car or just dry?
We added drying agent as well. However we did not advertise it as being included on our menu sign. As far as the customer is concerned they don't get our "clearcoat sealant" or "wax" or whatever your wash happens to call it unless they get the next wash up. The dryers do nothing without the drying agent, I did try it briefly first.

gearhead

Reaction score
We offer dryers on all four. DA on all. No under body/ side blasters on bottom package. Top 2 are best sellers.

jeffpohl4

Reaction score
I run the dryer on all 3 of my packages. I have a $6.00 Express, $8.00 Deluxe and a $10.00 Works wash. I just checked my site server and Im running 60% Works and almost an even split on the 6 & 8 dollar packages. In my not so experienced opinion less package options will lead to higher sales in your "Top" wash package. From a consumer prospective its easier to think you're getting a good wash just shooting for the middle package...at least that's what I would think prior to actually owning my wash.

Im also up-selling my 6 & 8 dollar packages by offering RainX for an additional dollar. I average about 75 RainX purchases per month so I think it was a good idea. I have the Unitec Wash Select II...i'm not sure if thats programmable in other pay stations or not? I hope this helps. Jeff

Carl

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the replies. You have all been very helpful indeed!

I am so outdated only offering a dryer on my most expensive wash. Cringing thinking how many express wash customers I have not been able to earn their business since they want but can't get the dryer on my equivalently priced $5.00 Wash. Time to update my in-bay washes...thanks so much! - Carl