What's new

HSH-Q Hopper

Haines

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a Hamilton HSH-Q hopper that seems to constantly give the "Hopper 3 Jammed" error code. I have taken it apart and cleaned everything out; I have also looked for grooves that I know some members have advised on, but it still seems to error out. Any further suggestions? Were I to rebuild this unit (the motor is sounding a little rough) what parts should I replace? Motor, hopper bowl insert, and payout switch?

Many thanks!

MEP001

Reaction score
If the motor sounds rough, it's probably going bad. It's relatively easy to replace, although there is a somewhat precise adjustment to the tension of the coin plate.

When you get the hopper jammed error, will it run manually, or if you reset it will it just shut down and not payout? If the answer is no to either, it may be the payout switch.

Randy

Reaction score
Hopper 3 is your Primary Hopper in a single Hopper Bill Changer, this confuses a lot of people. When you get a Hopper 3 error have you turned On the Hopper dump switch to see if the Hopper is actually jammed? If the Hopper isn’t jammed you could be getting a false error from a bad wiring harness or controller. How old is the Hopper? It could be time for a rebuild. Without seeing the Hopper it’s pretty hard to tell you what parts you’ll need. If the motor is loud, makes a rattling sound or is dragging I’d replace the motor first. You might want to look for a spare Hopper. All of the Hamilton square stainless steel Hoppers have the same guts and will work in a bill changer with the exception of the smart Hopper they are a little different.

Haines

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Most times it will run manually, though sometimes (not the majority of the time) it sounds like it is putting a load on the motor as if it were jammed. I'll recheck the connections, but they seem to all be tight and clean. The motor for sure is louder than the motor in my other hopper. It seems to work fine after resetting; just long enough for me not to be there. As to the age of the hopper, I'll have to look tonight to be sure, but I would say 8+ years old.

MEP001

Reaction score
It sounds like the motor going bad, actually the gearbox but you'll have to replace the motor assembly.