What's new

HP Check Valve sizing question

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I had a 1" HP check valve fail for my undercarriage on my Razor as I looked up the manufacture and part number the 1" check valve says it's rated to a maximum working pressure of 400psi but the pump is putting out 1150psi, wouldn't you want a check valve rated for a lot higher pressure rating?.

MEP001

Reaction score
The pressure rating would be for its ability to check backflow. I assume you don't have anything backflowing from your undercarriage above 400 PSI. That said, you probably need to worry more about the maximum flow rate through the valve, for example I tried a 1/4" Fluid Controls HP check valve on a medium pressure spot free line to the bay, and the flow of water was so high it broke the plastic tabs that hold the poppet in place and it went downstream and got jammed in the fitting. A 3/8" one in the same place worked fine.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
I tried a 1/4" Fluid Controls HP check valve on a medium pressure spot free line to the bay, and the flow of water was so high it broke the plastic tabs that hold the poppet in place and it went downstream and got jammed in the fitting.

Mep, that may have more to do with the fact that Fluid Controls with the plastic poppet retainers are garbage. Either order them with the stainless ones or buy the repair kit with the stainless retainer. You’re just asking for trouble with the plastic ones.

MEP001

Reaction score
I didn't know they were available with stainless retainers, but if I ever use them in a high-flow application again I'll look for that. FWIW I've only had a problem with the plastic that one time.

Etowah