What's new

How to size a water softener ?

softsuds

Reaction score
Is there a rule if thumb / formula for sizing a water softener for a self serve wash ?

I have a 3-bay SS no auto.

Water is at approx 7 grains

What other factors ?

I know I want a twin tank with a volumetric regeneration head
And at least a flow capacity to meet all three pumps running at the same time.
( 3.5 gpm x3 )
What else ?

Thanks.

mac

Reaction score
Here's a way to save some money. In my not so humble opinion, you don't need to soften all of the water. Anymore I just use the soft water to mix the chemicals and feed the RO unit. You will get by on a much smaller system. Also instead of a twin tank take a look at a metered head system. This is a single tank unit that measures the flow of water and only regenerates that night when it reaches its max setting.

MEP001

Reaction score
Aside from a large enough plumbing for the flow, you also want an adequate resin bed.

Don't forget to factor in RO if you have it, at least another 2 GPM, plus some extra for your Hydrominders. You could peak well over 20 GPM. Excessive flow through a small tank won't produce fully softened water.

I don't have access to softener manuals anymore to look up a formula, but I wouldn't go less than 1" meter and 3 cu.ft. resin per tank for what you have. If you go with a Fleck mechanical meter, you'll probably need an extended range meter.

MEP001

Reaction score
mac said:
In my not so humble opinion, you don't need to soften all of the water.
Maybe not with a touchless automatic, but with self-serve it all needs to be softened.

jeanjean

Reaction score
In fact, there are many factors you need to consider before purchasing a water softener. These include Type, Salt-free, Salt-based, Electronic, Materials and Quality, Brand, Size, Water Softener Price, and After-sales Service. If you have a water softener company near your house, you can ask them for help. This is the best solution to size a water softener.

Last edited by a moderator:

soapy

Reaction score
Check with Dultmeier sales. They sell water softners pretty cheap and can answer all your questions. You really have pretty small demand. You might look into a metered tank system that you can pick up at Sam's, Costco etc for around $400. I have put these in several houses and they do a good job.

MEP001

Reaction score
Six-year-old thread bumped by a spammer.

mac

Reaction score
Have to disagree with the alleged spammer. If you call a local company, say a Culligan or Kinetco, they will screw you. You will end up paying 3 to 4 times what you should.

jeanjean

Reaction score
If you are really asked to pay too high a price, I think you have enough rights to refuse.

mac

Reaction score
And how does someone with no knowledge of softener pricing know what it too much?I had a customer who spent around $6,000 for a Kinetco twin tank unit. I sell a comparable standard one for around $1,400.

mac

Reaction score
I get it from a company in FL that builds them. Has a Fleck head. Same warranty as any other and anyone can work on them.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm not sure if jeanjean is a spammer or associated with the water softener business. The fact that they came back to the discussion is not the usual spammer. I removed their link which goes to a blog called gearhunder dot com. They talk about a potpourri of things, so decide for yourself.

Etowah