What's new

How to move a bed?

mac

Reaction score
Well this is a little off the wall, but here goes. I live way down in south FL on its west coast. My wife has an old wrought iron bed frame that she and her sister rescued from an old Iowa farm house many, many years ago. Now we want to give it to relatives who still live in the mid west. The problem is shipping and moving companies want $500 to ship it. It's maybe 5' by 7' when taken apart and one foot thick. Anyone know a reasonably cheap way to ship this. It weighs less than 100#.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Since I've been spending a lot of time on motorhome forums lately, this came to mind. Maybe get a snowbird to take it back in their motorhome/camper. What city does it need to go to and where is it right now?

OurTown

Reaction score
Try a shipping broker. The type that you submit to the website what you want to ship and all its dimensions and then individual truckers and freight haulers can bid on it. If you are flexible on time then usually you can get a decent price. uship.com is one of several but do your research on whoever you use.

MEP001

Reaction score
I use Unishippers once in a while. They usually get me prices about 1/3 less than going right to the shipper.

I like the idea of paying someone to transport it in a motorhome. Facebook would likely help find you someone.

copperglobe

Reaction score
Fastenal, the supply stores/chain, have shipping. They have their own trucks and started doing freight too because their trucks were empty going home. All you have to do it put it on a pallet. Go online to make arrangements and then take the pallet to any store and they'll ship it to any other store in your destination's area. I shipped a J.E.Adams vac and a 5 column Laurel vendor with them. About $100 for each one.

copperglobe

Reaction score
I've shipped several items with Fastenal and have never put them in a crate. Strapped to a pallet, yes.

OurTown

Reaction score
Do you know about how long it took to get to their destinations?

copperglobe

Reaction score
Cross country it takes about a week. Halfway about three days. Anyplace there is a Fastenal store you can ship.

mac

Reaction score
Thank you all for the tips. I was able to find a small mover for about 1/3 the original price I got.Some couple with a trailertakes a load north and pays for the trip that way.