What's new

How to handle customer complaints

JimmyJaffa

Reaction score
I am visiting my daughter in Toronto, and as usual she wanted me to wash her car. I always get the top wash to compare with how we rate. When i saw we did not get tire shine, I approached one of the employees, he referred me to the manager, who said I had to talk to the owner. The owner said the tire shine was applied in the tunnel, and if it was not good, do not buy it again, and we will not shine the tire (it is a simonize tire shiner). What a refreshing approach, no more rewashes for "bugs" not removed, or touch up tire shine, what you gets is what you gets. I insisted that we get tire shine and needless to say I am banned from his wash. He even copied my license number and passed it on to the AutoSentry operator (you can not do it yourself). First time I have been banned. I see why so many car washes have a majority of "cheapest" car washes, when the top is the same. I will say they dumped a lot of soap and conditioner on our car, top brush needs new foam soon, vacuums were good.

TEEBOX

Reaction score
Jimmy,

I'm near the Detroit/Windsor Border with Canada. I wash a lot of Canadian vehicles that work here in the Detroit Area returning back home.

First, they wash their vehicle here because of the low cost compared to Canadian Car washes. Second, they get more bang for the buck,(i.e. better wash value with upgrades) and lastly, we kill them with kindness.

I don't take my customers for granted!

twerkinatthecarwash

Reaction score
Wouldn't life be so much easier if we could just ban customers when they complain? Especially when they don't get what they paid for. Sounds like a company that will stay in business for a long time.

hkim310

Reaction score
I always wondered what it would feel like to just say what you want to the complaining customers with no regard to how they would react. Funny story!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
this is the way some people run their business! it's also the reason why customers are ready for a fight sometimes when they have an issue. my policy is simple; deliver more than my promise (from bill pitzer) and turn a complaint into a customer for life. it's actually not that hard to do.

as far as damage, etc, i take care of 100% of what i am responsible for but 0% of what is not my fault (the company's fault). i am not here to be taken advantage of, but i also put the customers' needs very high on my list.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
this is the way some people run their business! it's also the reason why customers are ready for a fight sometimes when they have an issue. my policy is simple; deliver more than my promise (from bill pitzer) and turn a complaint into a customer for life. it's actually not that hard to do.

as far as damage, etc, i take care of 100% of what i am responsible for but 0% of what is not my fault (the company's fault). i am not here to be taken advantage of, but i also put the customers' needs very high on my list.
Good points Waxman. Jimmy makes a good point at the absurdity of not being able to handle constructive criticism by the car wash owner. My million dollar question ... is banning similar to a "no trespass" that some police officers are a little too quick to peddle as a "panacea"?

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
I have a SS carwash in Citrus Heights CA, and have owned it for 12 years. When I first bought it, I was warned against putting up a "refund" sign with my phone #. I was told that "every Tom, Dick and Harry would be calling me for $20". Well, I can honestly say that in 12 years I have NEVER had a call for $20. I promptly write them a nice letter, and include their money and a $1 token. I track my refunds closely, and have never mailed one out to the same person or address. Most are for only $1. The goodwill that it creates is my BEST form of advertising. Every time that a customer calls or texts me with a problem, is an opportunity for me to thank them, fix the problem, and hopefully make a customer for life. My business philosophy is simple: I'm in business to serve my customers! The other 2 SS carwashes within 3 miles have chosen NOT to put up a "refund" sign. When I asked them why, they said "I don't want to be bothered by complaints!" Every day I meet more of their customers coming to my carwash, because they had a bad experience and could not get ahold of anyone. Oh, well... My business continues to grow, and my customers are very happy!

I have an unproven theory on vandalism. I wonder if some vandalism is caused by frustrated customers taking out their anger on a broken machine because they lost $$ and were NOT able to get ahold of someone. In 12 years, I have NOT experienced any serious damage to my vacuums or coin boxes. Our carwash is well-lit and well-maintained, and I cheerfully give out a refund. If a customer is willing to take the time to call or text me, and give me their home address, or personally return for a refund, I believe them. Sometimes when they call, they are angry and just want to vent. But, like TEEBOX, I pour on the kindness and listen to them. Once, they know I believe them and will give them a refund, they're very appreciative. I'm lucky that I have a simple SS carwash and can make someone's day for $1!

MEP001

Reaction score
When I first bought it, I was warned against putting up a "refund" sign with my phone #. I was told that "every Tom, Dick and Harry would be calling me for $20". Well, I can honestly say that in 12 years I have NEVER had a call for $20.
This can be very different depending on the area. We almost never get calls for refunds, and those very rare few are legitimate. On the other hand, many years ago I managed a wash in a much lower income neighborhood, and I was instructed to give a refund to any complaint no questions asked. It seemed like it only took a couple months for the word to spread that I was an easy mark for a quick five bucks, and suddenly I was getting two or three people a day saying they lost money in something. The last straw for me was when a guy saw an out-of-order sign on one of the two changers and told me he lost money in it a couple days ago. What he didn't know is that the controller had gone bad weeks before and was at Hamilton being repaired.

I have an unproven theory on vandalism. I wonder if some vandalism is caused by frustrated customers taking out their anger on a broken machine because they lost $$ and were NOT able to get ahold of someone.
I can confirm your theory. I was a tech for a distributor for 10 years and visited hundreds of car washes all over the state. Over and over again someone would say "I don't understand why people are always cutting my hoses" and when I looked the place over nothing was properly maintained or worked correctly.

JimmyJaffa

Reaction score
When we owned self service we would only refund tokens. Cost more to mail them, then their value.
Yes, poorly maintained washes will have more vandalism, and lights on after 10 PM allows bad people to see. The income never offset the expense.