What's new

Hot Or Cold HP Rinse?

gearhead

Reaction score
I was thinking about rinsing with cold water instead of hot. I talked to one owner and he has multiple washes that he rinses in cold during the winter at all and says it works fine. Does anyone else out there do this? I would imagine the savings would be pretty good!

Reaction score
If you dont use hot water i would expect you to have a low low price or I would wash else where, just my thoughts, we heat all our water, rins hp and customers do notice. We do have on-demand heaters tho.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I use hot water all winter long, but in the evenings I use an intermatic timer to shut my boiler down between 9p-6a and I realized a decent savings there. Not to change the subject, but I also don't weep hot water. With heat tape in the trough, there is no reason to and I have yet to be convinced of that.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I think with most IBAs the presoak is the only thing that is heated, all other functions will be cold. Mine have been that way for 20 years.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Hot rinse water? I don't understand what the advantage of hot rinse over cold rinse. Hot water with soap makes sense for it helps clean a lot better, but for rinse, all your doing is washing off the soap.

I'm hot for everything except for rinse and spot free rinse. Those two items are cold. Yes, you would see savings if you changed to cold rinse and wouldn't impact the cleanliness of the cars.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think some of you are confusing SS for IBA.

IBA's IMO need heated presoaks and cold HP rinse is fine.

SS is different, but I am switching my hot rinse to cold in SS as soon as I get a 'round-tuit'.:D

Randy

Reaction score
You’ve got t o be kidding me!!! HOT WATER RINSE! Are you washing cars or dishes? Up here in the Pacific Northwest we only heat the Presoak. Rinsing with hot water doesn’t do anything to aid in washing the car, just my 28 year in the business opinion.

None S/S car washes here use Hot water for rinse or wax. I know of a few that don't have any Hot water and they do just as well as the S/S that do have Hot water.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Randy

I agree. My SS pump stand was set up that way (hot water everything HP) and I plan to change it. I can mix hot and cold and definitely do throttle back on the hot as much as possible.

MEP001

Reaction score
Waxman said:
I think some of you are confusing SS for IBA.
He posted his question in the IBA section, so the assumption would be that he's referring to that.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Yes I didn't pay attention to the section we were in and referenced my answer as a self serve owner...sorry about that.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Whether it's an IBA or SS, my opinion is still the same. Cold rinse for either one, I don't see how hot rinse would benefit the car wash process.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
There is one possible benefit of a hot rinse in an IBA or tunnel. Drying agents and sealants do not work well or even at all when it is very cold out. If you are concerned on how dry the car is after the wash and it is very cold out you might consider a warm or hot water rinse depending on your use of hot water in other applications in your wash. If you feel that the ambient temperature of the vehicle's surface is at least 50 degrees when it the sealant or drying agent is applied you are probably okay. If not, a hot rinse could significantly help drying.

mjc3333

Reaction score
No need for hot water on the rinse cycle.

If you do have both hot water soap wax and rinse, you are spending double for the hot water without any real benefit.

If you get your customers used to it, hot on all three, you may have a difficult time switching back to hot soap, cold rinse.

gearhead

Reaction score
Thank you

Thanks to all for your comments. As usual you have been very helpful.