What's new

Honeywell ignition module has me baffled

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
The Raypak water heating boiler maintains 110*F 24/7/365. The facility enjoys no significant business during the night time hours. And, during inclement weather…bleh.

So, I installed a PLR that turns off the boiler circulator whenever all bays are idle for more than 10 minutes.
The boiler features a flow switch that provides 24v hot to the Honeywell ignition module. So, when the circulator is off: no flow = no 24v hot to the ignition module.

The ignition module is 100% shutdown, meaning it must be manually reset (cycle power to the boiler) if no pilot flame is sensed during a call for heat. (IIRC, the module tries 5 times before shutdown occurs)

Well, don’t you know, the first time the OFF cycle exceeded 10 hours, the storage tank water cooled below the tankstat’s set-point. When the first timed-output of the day turned the boiler circulator on, the flow switch closed, the ignition module became energized, and the CFH signal SHOULD have allowed the boiler to fire. It didn’t.

Instead, a manual reset was required. “Huh?”

This process repeated the next morning.

My solution was to power down the circulator AND the boiler (yeah, they’re on separate circuits). But, I’m puzzled as to how the de-energized ignition module would go into shutdown.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Time to get scrap price for the copper in that old Raypak and get you an HTP. That will fix it! :)

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty straight-forward circuit...Does it have a spark plug wire like my old Jarco had? If so, maybe a weak/failing wire, failing igniter, failing module....etc...????

I had the same flow issues with my OLD Jarco Dinosaur floor heater! After disassembly of the flow switch, I discovered the paddle was missing! An easy fix....More scrap copper and a new 199K btu Demand heater that now works like a charm! (Well, maybe not so easy! But more than happy I took the plunge!!!)

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Turns out the ignition module was failing...it failed completely yesterday afternoon.

A new module solved the problem.

2Biz, since I'm a "short timer" the expense of a new water heating system is not justifiable.

Rudy

Reaction score
I installed an Intellidyne 3250 a year or so ago that basically does the same thing as your PLR. During the busy winter car wash season, it was displaying an average of 45% savings. During the slow summer, it displayed about a 32% savings. I don't exactly know how the device figures the "savings" percentage. My guess....is....it's the number of delayed boiler firings. Nevertheless...I'm happy. The device doesn't fire my boiler to heat water if there's no demand. It definitely saves natural gas.