What's new

High Pressure Floats for Wash Tank

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I installed 2 new Walters 3 years ago. Haven't touched them. How trouble free are you looking for?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Another quick plug for the Walters. If you have water hammer, the Walters will eliminate it with its 2 stage design.

DakotaHoskins

Reaction score
We just installed a new Jobe Topez 3/4 High Temp valve for our hot water SS bay tank. Well worth the cost. The tank never overflows and the valve always opens.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
New Update. Hudson failed open at 2nd location now. Suffice it to say disappointing experience. Have received new Hydro 573. May give Walters a try.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've had much better luck with the 1" Walters than the 1/2? or 3/4" ones, kind of surprising since I would have thought the larger diaphragm would be a weak point. I usually get a year out of a diaphragm in the self serve, at least five in the auto since it doesn't open and close as much.

Etowah

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
My Walters are 1"....Float tanks are about 10 gallon each for a 4 bay.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I've had much better luck with the 1" Walters than the 1/2? or 3/4" ones, kind of surprising since I would have thought the larger diaphragm would be a weak point. I usually get a year out of a diaphragm in the self serve, at least five in the auto since it doesn't open and close as much.
Is it possible the larger 1" pipe size flows at a lower velocity (With Higher Volume) so it's easier on the diaphragm?

MEP001

Reaction score
Is it possible the larger 1" pipe size flows at a lower velocity (With Higher Volume) so it's easier on the diaphragm?
IMO it's the opening/closing that wears out the seal. I've seen very high failure rate whenever the valve didn't have a drop hose to prevent cascading which makes it open and close while filling. The 1" used to have a much longer rod which also made it need to open less frequently.

washregal

Reaction score
I see on the forum posts that some of the Hudson valves are failing.. How often are these happening - over pre-longed periods? We just installed one at our HP tank so far so good.. but now you guys have me nervous with premature failure thoughts...

Randy

Reaction score
I see on the forum posts that some of the Hudson valves are failing.. How often are these happening - over pre-longed periods? We just installed one at our HP tank so far so good.. but now you guys have me nervous with premature failure thoughts...
I keep telling everyone THERE JUNK/CRAP!!, it'll fail gave it a couple of weeks.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
IMO it's the opening/closing that wears out the seal. I've seen very high failure rate whenever the valve didn't have a drop hose to prevent cascading which makes it open and close while filling. The 1" used to have a much longer rod which also made it need to open less frequently.
Good point....I have a 1" PVC pipe dropped to the bottom of the tank with a tee on it to diffuse the water. Before I added the pipe, it looked like a "Wave Pool" inside the tank. I bet that's what wreaks havoc on the diaphragm....

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Mine lasted about 3 months. Naturaly it happened as things got busy in December.

jprb

Reaction score
I think having the water storage tank mounted on the pump stand is a big factor in quick failures of valves. I have both stand and floor mounted tanks. The valves in the floor mounted tanks last much longer, probably due to much less vibration. I use mostly Walters, and have a couple of Jobe valves that I am trying.

JPRB

MEP001

Reaction score
I think having the water storage tank mounted on the pump stand is a big factor in quick failures of valves. I have both stand and floor mounted tanks. The valves in the floor mounted tanks last much longer, probably due to much less vibration. I use mostly Walters, and have a couple of Jobe valves that I am trying.

JPRB
Are the floor standing tanks bigger than the ones built onto the stand? It's been my thought for some time that the valve opening and closing more often is what causes most of the wear on the diaphragm seal.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I'm done with Hudson valve came into my wash tonight to find my hot water tank overflowing I ordered a new 1" hot water topez valve it cost me $235 and I probably spent that on the water going down the drain tonight.

Last edited:

6t7gto

Reaction score
I put a N/C solenoid on my supply tank. It turns on when any of the bays are in use.
If my float valve fails, the tank may overflow, but only for a short time.
Years ago, I had the alarm company call me at 9 at night. They got a over temp alarm drop.
Hot water was overflowing from my tank and tripped the alarm.
Now I have cameras and one in the ER. I check throughout the day and evening and can see if I have any abnormal water on the floor.

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Ordered the Walters 1" Will see how it holds up.

jprb

Reaction score
Are the floor standing tanks bigger than the ones built onto the stand? It's been my thought for some time that the valve opening and closing more often is what causes most of the wear on the diaphragm seal.
Mep, I have one large (50gal ?) floor tank that feeds a Cat 3535. I remember replacing that float twice in 20 years. I have several smaller (20-30 gal) tanks, both stand & floor mounted for Automatic & Self service pumps. The pump stands valves have to be replaced more often.

The pump stand tanks are usually mounted above the pumps (on the same stand) to save space. If they were simply mounted on their own stand, I'm guessing that would help save many valves over the life of the tank.

Just my humble opinion!
JPRB

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Walters in place. Less expensive alternative than hydro 573. Busy day - Did not run out of water. Time will tell.