What's new

Head Light Hazing Fix??

calebbox

Reaction score
What is the name of the Chemical to Fix the Hazing on Plastic Head Lamps?
Oxalic Acid keeps coming to my mind , but not positive..

Caleb Box
Arcadian Services

buda

Reaction score
That acid is used to remove rail dust from paint finishes. Not aware it could be used for headlight restoration.

Removing headlight hazing is normally done with various sandpapers, an orbital waxer and light abrasive compounds and polish.

Regards
Bud Abraham

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bud's right. Forget about 'chemically' restoring these parts.

My shop offers plastic-lense headlight restoration. My method is as follows:

1. wet-sand lens thoroughly.

2. machine buff with a rotary buffer. compound then glaze.

3. apply plastic polish or automotive wax.

calebbox

Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen.. i think you guys have answered my question and pointed me i the right direction..

MEP001

Reaction score
I remember seeing a polymer that can be painted over a fogged headlight, but it's not permanent and doesn't completely fix the hazing, just mostly conceals it.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why the heck bother with that (non-permanent sealant) when you can truly correct the problem with the sand and buff method?

Reminds me of that old (I think it was) Simoniz product, where you apply a 'sealant' over dull, faded paint with a sponge provided. Man, I stripped a bunch of that stuff off in the mid 90's; what a pain in the butt!

taylor

Reaction score
what kind of compound and glaze,,,i see various companies are selling the restoration kits, and have personally tried one but would get expensive after reordering them all the time, plus not alot to it,,,

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wetsand with 1000 grit paper, buff with a foam cutting pad and 3M Super Duty Compound, followed by a Meguiars machine glaze and a polishing pad.

No need to buy any kit, IMNSHO. The essential elements for clarification seem to be the ones I've listed.

Danny

Reaction score
The easiest and fastest way that I have found to polish faded lenses is to use a good compound like Waxman stated such as 3M 05954 or 3M 05973. I recommend a wool compounding pad for heavily faded lenses and a foam compounding pad for lightly faded lenses. For heavily faded lenses apply a thin layer of compound with an applicator to keep sling to a minimum. Use a rotary polisher with the wool pad at a lower rpm 1400 or less. If you increase speed, you increase heat and risk of damaging the lens and the surrounding vehicle trim. Compound the lens as you would the paint. Use light pressure and keep your pad as flat as possible. Repeat this step until you see the desired level of clarity to the lens. With each repeat of this process you are removing a small amount of surface contamination. Typically it only requires 2-3 passes on the lens until clear (I have some pictures I will see about posting if I can find them). Total time is usually less than 5 mins for all lenses and does not require any sanding or claying of the lens. With all that said every car is different and has been exposed to different environments which can create different results.
I hope this helps some.
Danny Umbrell
www.washwayusa.com