What's new

Has Joining Your Local Chamber of Commerce Been a Good Investment for Your Business?

Carl

Reaction score
I own a 6/2 sscw which also has 2 dog wash tubs, vending machine and 8 vacuums (2 are combination vacs). I opened in 2003 but never joined our local Chamber of Commerce. Just read a local article which mentioned how they broke records the past two years w/ their membership drives (425/430 new members respectively). Was curious...has your being a member of your local Chamber of Commerce been a good investment for your business and if so, in what ways? If you're not a member, are you considering joining? Lastly, are you negative on this idea and would rather 'save the $448/annual fee' and if so, why are you not so keen on joining? :confused: Thanks! - Carl

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Carl,

My business has been a faithful member of our local Chamber of Commerce ... so far no regrets. In fact, I just had the opportunity to share my legislative views at 2 recent luncheons with some of our Congressional delegation. I thought that everyone was very respectful & more than willing to make an honest effort to hear & learn accurate information ... which is very important.

If the the information shared had not been accurate considering I was amongst plenty of bankers ... they would have not been so friendly & attentive.

Mike Walsh http://kingkoin.com/USA_Deficit_Reduction.html

Last edited:

Stuart

Reaction score
I joined my Chamber in 2010. Yesterday I sent a letter I would not renew with them. My investment with the chamber did not pay me any dividends.
You might have an appt. with them & ask them exactly what they will do for you. Your Chamber may be very different from mine. Ask them questions and get specific answers as to how they will help you and does it really apply to your business.

MudMoney

Reaction score
I've been a member since 1992 and it has paid off from the referrals that the C of C staff sends to my carwash or courier service.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
When I took over a beaten down place I joined the CoC. They had a 600 member mailing list labelized. I printed a get acquainted letter and had my daughter atuff envelopes with the letter and 6 free wash coupons asking that they be shared with customers, employees etc. I tink it helped get some fast exposure for not much $. After several years as a member and going to networking functions, taking part in their discount programs I felt there was little or no return for a continuing investment.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes we are a Chamber of Commerce member.

Yes it helps business.

However, it involves participation in the Chamber events and programs.

We set up at the Home and Garden show, Fall Festival etc.

We have a booth at these events and give 20% off detail appointments if you book at the booth. We have an attractive female run the booth and it does quite well.

Many feel that for the Chamber dues, they should see immediate r.o.i with little to no work on their part. However, it takes work. You have to have incentive and energy to work and take advantage of what the Chamber of Commerce has to offer.

You can't just sit back and expect to reap benefits of being a member just because you paid your dues to the Chamber; it's about participating; going to networking events and handing out free washes, talking to other businesspeople about what you do and showing them your're passionate about it. I suggest holding your own networking event with the Chamber of Commerce. Our wash does 2 a year and also holds a 20% off sale during the 'meet n greet' event. We have food, drinks and entertainment and do it up right.

The Chamber of Commerce is a great thing to join and I highly recommend it.

HCW

Reaction score
Been in car wash business fo almost 2 years. We joined when we first purchased the car wash and all we received is b.s. emails, NO benefit at all. We canceled this year. It may be what waxman mentioned "putting more effort into it" but in my opinion when I pay my membership I ecxpect something in return like referrals...... Not Bunch of time waisting meeting

U Wash

Joe Dirt
Reaction score
I joined the Chamber several years after we opened our self serve carwash. I also participated in several committees including new membership. I was assigned several potential accounts that included a new car dealership, I had several meetings with management encouraging them to join. When they joined a paid staffer took credit for signing them up that included a bonus. I received no recognition. When a major road widening project was being designed, the initial drawings included a barrier to prevent left turns into all businesses. I organized a petition for businesses to sign requesting a left turn lane. Initially the Chamber refused to support the petition, because some of the signers were not Chamber members. Plus we found the previous Chamber President was working to keep the barrier. He had it arranged for no barrier in front of his business and he wanted to down grade other properties. Our Chamber is controlled by the old down town business section of the town and they were opposed to anything that benefited businesses in the surrounding areas.
It is old boy politics and you need to figure out if it may benefit you. You could join for a couple of years a try it. After a couple of years I dropped membership because it was of no benefit.

Kevin James

Reaction score
We see little or no benefit in being a member of the Chamber of Commerce or the BBB.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Like most organizations like this they have become more and more political and are staffed and filled with people trying to push their own agenda rather than the goals of the organization. I have had similar experiences with both and would not join either one again. While the stated goals of these organization are very worthwhile if that is what they actually achieve I would rather spend my time, effort and money on my own marketing and furthering my own interests.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I believe you guys are comparing random objects. If the coc can't be bothered to post your address and business name on their website I wouldn't bother. But working any large group of people will make you money? Church, school, grocery store, restaurant, dog show.... Plus banks employee a ton of people... A banker will be at one of those places.

That said you might get or keep customers if you post everywhere that you are a member..... Also the BBB?

I did a website for one.... the management for that organization was halious.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The carwash and detail shop I manage is hosting an 'after 5' networking event in conjunction with the Chamber of Commerce. The chamber helps publicize the event and we prep for it. We offer food and entertainment in the detail shop as well as sell pre-paid detailing (gift cards and/or appointments) at 20% off.

Yes, there is a cost to the event and some folks come just for free eats, but the sale usually goes quite well for the company and injects revenue which is good.

Yes, we put alot into it. But it is most times worth the effort.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I agree marketing to any group is a great idea. But I'm just saying there are other groups of people.... Groups that you don't have to be a member to advertise to.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree marketing to any group is a great idea. But I'm just saying there are other groups of people.... Groups that you don't have to be a member to advertise to.
My chamber is only $195/year. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to make that up and then some. 2 pre-paid details sold at my event and that cost is covered plus. And we hold 3 of these 'Chamber After 5' events per year.

Yes; there are ways to market for free, but are cw owners doing all they can in those areas??? Most I know admit they need to do more. The Chamber, for our biz, offers a way that takes some of the load off us by helping out, while helping us meet more customers and make more sales. Never a bad thing for us.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Set a sales goal of $1k for my just-completed 'Business After Hours' event, in conjunction w/chamber o commerce. More than doubled sales goal, so a successful event.

For me these results (and similar we have had at other chamber events) are proof that membership works for us. But it requires effort! It's not 'pay $195 and reap tangible benefit w/little/no effort'.