What's new

Has anyone ever found a need to use a shielded cable prox switch rather than a unshielded prox swt?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
This is probably a question more for the automatic &/or conveyorized washes. Has anyone ever found a need to use a shielded cable prox switch vs the much more common unshielded? The shielded cable ones appear to be much more expensive so I am holding back on buying some for replacing some Automation Direct Prox switches. It is possible that "the shielding attribute" it will correct what appears to be a possible electrical noise issue for us. We have verified gap distances so that is not the problem.

Eric H

Reaction score
There were requirements for shielded cable for somethings on my WW Razors. My electrician used shielded cable in some areas that did not specify. I asked him about it and he said it easier to install the shielded cable vs trying to track down an interference issue later. Some of my electrical and communications lines are over 80’, so lots of opportunities for interference.
The electrician’s background was primarily in industrial automation. Since we were paying him for his expertise, I listened to everything he recommended. I felt it was easier to pay a little more at the installation than to track down and fix issues after the fact.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Do the cables run along with others, (particularly high voltage) in the same conduit or tray? If not I'd try unshielded.

JustClean

Reaction score
Right from the beginning my entry system "ate money" and didn't give out a wash. I tried everything without success. It happened only once or twice a month but still annoying. Eventually my new staff member who is an electrician suggested to remove the fat cable that went into the entry system with a very thin but shielded cable. What can I say? That was the last time it happened. I only wished I knew that 12 years ago!

MGSMN

Reaction score
Has anyone ever found a need to use a shielded cable prox switch rather than a unshielded prox

Yes, had a unshielded prox (located near a motor) being used as a count prox that randomly missed pulses. Replaced with a shielded version and the issue went away. Be sure to match up the specs of the prox switches you are replacing. Higher switching frequencies generally have faster response times and fully shielded switches generally have lower sensing distances. Be aware that a shielded prox means the prox sensor end is shielded, not necessarily the cable. I have yet to come across a shielded prox that had an attached cable that was shielded.