What's new

Has anybody just put a "For Sale" sign on the door?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I want to sell my washes and retire. They are all in small towns in central KY. I have been putting the word out for quite some time. I've gotten some interest, but none have turned into sales. Since they are in small towns, I figure word would get around quickly if I just put a sign on the door. I'm just wondering if I would get inundated with every unqualified Tom, Dick, and Harry (and realtors) that has no clue. Has anyone tried it? Did you regret it?

soonermajic

Reaction score
I did same...the. put 4 sale in the yard. Sold in 90 days.

chaz

Reaction score
I want to sell my washes and retire. They are all in small towns in central KY. I have been putting the word out for quite some time. I've gotten some interest, but none have turned into sales. Since they are in small towns, I figure word would get around quickly if I just put a sign on the door. I'm just wondering if I would get inundated with every unqualified Tom, Dick, and Harry (and realtors) that has no clue. Has anyone tried it? Did you regret it?

Say it ain’t so. Retirement is so overrated?!?!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I know a couple that have sold with signs. You can't keep it a secret and expect it to sell. I think you're more likely to get a higher price from someone who isn't in the business yet too.

Another couple options might be loopnet.com and bizbuysell.com

OurTown

Reaction score
Why not try a real estate agent? They might give you a larger out of the area audience with a larger sale price to compensate for their fees. If you do go that route consider one that specializes in commercial because the typical residential agent doesn't know enough about selling car washes.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen a few washes for sale on Craigslist. It's pretty cool; You can post plenty of pics and it free.

MudMoney

Reaction score
I've sold all my commercial properties but one without a realtor.I think realtors are going the way of video clerks,most aren't bright and lazy by nature.In the end the most important people in these transactions,title co,lawyer,cpa.A visit to the local public works office isn't a bad idea either,unless your shady!

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I had signs on two of my washes. Yes, you deal with everything under the sun fielding their calls. At least a realtor or broker would be able to filter those for you. For now, I’m still FSBO.

OurTown

Reaction score
We did buy our wash from a sign on the door but they tried to sell it for years that way and never listed it. I can guarantee they would have sold it for much more and quicker if listed with a competent commercial Realtor. As a buyer I would rather deal with the owner than have to deal with an agent.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
instead of dealing with all the "tire kickers" from doing that, I'd probably place a an add in some of the local business/finance associated media. Both printed and digital. Newspaper ( business section), Chamber of Commerce, maybe regional car wash association, Craigslist, Facebook specific pages, etc.

If you're willing to hold paper, maybe advertise for a position/partner with an agreement to sell it?

Randy

Reaction score
Have large banner made say 12’ x 3’ that says “FOR SALE” hang it up on the front of the building. Print up some fliers and put them in one of those real-estate boxes out front and sit back and wait for every Tom, Dick and Harry who thinks the car wash business is an easy game to call. You’ll be sure to get a few of those tire kickers, they are easy to spot, the first words out of their mouths are “How much will I make if I buy this car wash”. But I wouldn’t expect to sell it fast, you could try talking to some of the other car wash operators in town and see if they are interested. I get letters and phone calls from real-estate whores weekly, their all fishing for a listing or a quick sale at the low ball price. I have a house for sale right now and the real-estate whores have been ringing the phone off the hook. Up here in the PNW land values are so high that it’s not feasible to have a car wash on most properties. A friend of mine sold his car wash for $975,000 and the next day after he signed the papers it was gone, the property is being redeveloped.