What's new

Hamilton DRS Hopper Motor Swap

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Trying to swap a motor on one of my hoppers and having a hard time removing this piece (sorry don't know the specific part name)

I removed the 3/32nd Allen set screw now I'm trying to remove this piece to get to the 2 Phillips screws behind it which I believe are still holding the motor in place

Using a flat head screw driving I can get it to run forward just can't get it all the way off.

Attachments

Jsshac

Reaction score
Trying to swap a motor on one of my hoppers and having a hard time removing this piece (sorry don't know the specific part name)

I removed the 3/32nd Allen set screw now I'm trying to remove this piece to get to the 2 Phillips screws behind it which I believe are still holding the motor in place

Using a flat head screw driving I can get it to run forward just can't get it all the way off.
Put a little oil on it if you got the set screw out you should be able to put a pair of channel lochs on it and turn it you probably have a burr on the shaft

MEP001

Reaction score
I have a lot of trouble with those because I used to work with an idiot who wouldn't make sure the set screw was on the flat spot of the motor and it creates such a burr that you can't get it off easily. I can usually get it with two large flat blade screwdrivers wedged underneath, just twist them both. The twist-and-pull won't always work because it can just turn while hung in the burr.

Randy

Reaction score
That part is called the “Motor Hub” they can be stubborn to get off sometimes. I’ve done hundreds of motor replacements on the Hamilton HSH Hoppers. I made a small puller to get the motor Hub off. What you can do is get 2 10-32” x 2” screws and screw them into the Hub, work the Hub back and forth and pull at the same time, it you’re lucky it’ll come off. If that doesn’t work screw the screws though the Hub into the motor mount and push the Hub off the shaft, be careful to not damage the motor mount. When you go to install the new motor turn the motor so the flat part of the shaft on the new motor so it’s pointing down. Check fit the Hub on the new motor shaft, it should slip right on, if it doesn’t use some emery cloth or sand paper and smooth out the inside of the Hub. Put the 3/32” set back in the hub before you put the Hub on the motor. I put the coin wheel on the hub before I put it back on the motor and mark the coin wheel where the set screw is. Once you get the Hub and the coin wheel back on the hopper you need to adjust the clearance between the wheel and the face of the motor mount, you want to have about .005 clearance. I’ve got 2 hoppers on the bench to do in the morning, they come in waves. When you change the Hopper motor it’s a good idea to look at the bottom of the hopper bowl, looking for a groove cut into the bottom of the hopper bowl. That groove will cause the hopper to jam. The hopper motor is designed to stop on the back. If it jams too many times on the front it will ruin the hopper motor.

toddmullens

Reaction score
So what do you do if you have a groove in the bowl and the hopper is starting to jam more often? Sand the groove or replace the bowl/hopper?

Randy

Reaction score
You might want to take a look at the motor mounting plate #11-0007. If it has a groove worn into the plate from the payout wheel it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it also.

toddmullens

Reaction score
You might want to take a look at the motor mounting plate #11-0007. If it has a groove worn into the plate from the payout wheel it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it also.
I ordered one with the motor mounted already. Hopper is only 20 years old. Probably due for new guts.