What's new

Hamilton Cashier 'Unexpected Coin Drop'

bigjws

Reaction score
I've gone through some of the past threads, but this problem always seems to occur when coins are being dispensed. On my cashier, it's going to the error randomly with no one using it. It usually happens every day or so -- happened late at night for about 3 days, then worked fine for about 5 days, now it's done it around 4-6pm for the past 3 days! I changed out the hopper to a backup I have, same thing, so I think it's eliminated as a problem. Anyone know if there is a relay or transformer that the signal goes through that could possibly be failing? It's a ACW-5 Cashier. Thanks!

MEP001

Reaction score
It's usually a failing hopper switch, and it's entirely possible the switch in your backup hopper has the same problem. If you tilt the hopper out and let it drop back in place and the code comes up, it's probably the switch. If not, it's either in the wiring or the controller is failing.

If it helps, "Unexpected Coin Drop" is when a coin switch break is detected when the hopper motor is not supposed to be running. It usually happens if the motor brake isn't working and the hopper coasts a bit and allows a coin to either hit the switch or dispense. Since it happens with no one using it, it's probably not the motor unless someone is fishing the harness and shorting to make it run and pay out.

Reaction score
switch is probalbly bad
check around it too might be a bunch of goo build up
my bowel was a little warped and motor was bad when i had coin drop issue

Randy

Reaction score
Remove the front cover and the baffle from the Hopper. Check for debris from under switch arm. If there is no debris under the switch arm replace the switch. DO NOT!! Use the newer style Payout switch #100-0151, we’ve had nothing but problems with those switches. You want to use the older style Payout #11-0008. A word of caution, you have to pre-adjust the arm of the switch before you install the switch, compare the old switch with the new switch and adjust the switch arm of the new switch with the old switch. Also check the brake on the back of the motor, it should be loose and move up and down freely. This is also a good time to check the bowl for any cracks, excessive wear at the bottom of the bowl, your looking for a groove that will wear into the bottom of the Hopper bowl.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've also had trouble with the "pre-adjusted" switch, I always have to go back in and bend the arm a little as it tends to be too high and one of the two contacts doesn't fully click with each coin. In fact it's always been with the side that flips the counter and the valuation is off.

When you're checking the brake, make sure the little hook on the end of the plastic arm that stops the motor is still there.

I still have doubts it's a hopper issue since it's happening with no payout and it's happened with two different hoppers.

bigjws

Reaction score
Update on the hopper. After having the hopper work fine for a couple more days with the backup hopper in, then having it go out of service for 2 days straight, I went ahead and ordered the new switch and installed it (thanks Randy for the heads up on the styles and part #'s!) I installed it last Thursday, so it's been 4 days now without a problem .. of course, it's gone 5 days before, so we'll see! Hopefully the switch was just going bad (there was no debris or anything) -- just seems a little illogical, but crap happens! I'll try to update if anything changes.

Also, the arm seemed to be just fine -- no adjustment was needed.

Thanks for all the help -

bert79

Reaction score
I am sorry to dredge up an old thread but I am having this "unexpected coin drop" message on my acw4. Happened twice now with no one near it. It really sucks bc it will happen at random times and the machine will go out of service til the error is acknowledged and it might be hours before i can get someone onsite. Curious if I this fixed your problem bigjws??

bigjws

Reaction score
Yeah, the switch must have been the problem.. it’s been working fine ever since

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
Had this exact thing happen to my goldline last winter. this thread helped me fix it, and its still going (the goldline and the thread both!)

bert79

Reaction score
Replaced the switch just now. Thanks to this thread I had an old style switch in stock. Hope this solved the issue. Thank you all!

Randy

Reaction score
Replaced the switch just now. Thanks to this thread I had an old style switch in stock. Hope this solved the issue. Thank you all!
That’s good that you had an old style switch #11-0008, they are a much better switch than the new style switch #100-0151, the old style switch 11-0008 is no longer available. I hope you compared the old switch arm drop with the new switch and bent the new switch so it’s like the old switch arm, sometimes they’ll work OK for a while if you don’t bend the arm. One of the easiest ways to tell if you have a bad switch is to give the hopper a quick shake, if it goes out of service.

MEP001

Reaction score
The new style switches are junk - the first time I ordered some, one was bad and the other paid out erratically. I had to swap the wires just to get the changer back up. The second time I got two, one would misread on the counter. I know why Hamilton stopped selling the old style, but these new ones are crap.