What's new

Gun(s) At Your Car Wash

Red Baron

Reaction score
One of the few industries booming right now is the firearms industry. Folks are "nervy" (Doc Holliday, Tombstone). I've been surprised at the number of new gun-oriented shows on TV, i.e., Top Shot, Practical Degense, Concealed Carry reality show, etc. Level-headed people feel it, but don't say it...lest they not be considered level-headed any more.

In recent months I've given a lot more thought to personal security at my wash. I won't say exactly what I've done, but one of the things I've done in addition to firearms is to place a can of wasp spray by the ER door. They say that stuff is way better than Mace. Ok, I'll say that I have one handgun hidden using Fast Draw magnets, in a place it seems likely that a robber would force me to go.

I also have a new policy that, when we're not busy, I always lock the ER door behind me and don't open it without looking at the cams/moniter to see who's knocking.

What're you doing?

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I like the bug spray idea, we have a tire iron and a baseball bat near the door. in case the monitors are not on we have a door viewer hole, but keep it normally covered with a car magnet. I heard you can get a lens and get the viewer to work backwards.
john

Reds

Reaction score
I carry a fully concealed .38 revolver when I feel uncomfortable. Feeling uncomfortable is subjective. But when I am gathering money, or it's dark, or it's Fri, Sat, or Sun I am carrying. Other times I make a judgement call as to whether I should carry or leave it hidden in the equip. room or my truck. Hopefully I never have to use it.

Red Baron

Reaction score

Red Baron

Reaction score
Also, I buy a lot of my gun stuff from www.cheaperthandirt.com Good prices and quick delivery.

At night I try to make it a point to walk in areas where a bad guy sneaking up on me will cast a shadow that I can see him/her in time to...scream. :)

I also try to make it a point to circle the entire building when I get there before sunrise to make sure nobody is laying in wait for me.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I carry a fully concealed .38 revolver when I feel uncomfortable. Feeling uncomfortable is subjective. But when I am gathering money, or it's dark, or it's Fri, Sat, or Sun I am carrying. Other times I make a judgement call as to whether I should carry or leave it hidden in the equip. room or my truck. Hopefully I never have to use it.
My carry gun is a Sig Sauer P239 Tactical, but I recently bought a Kahr PM9 sub-compact which is a lot smaller. I had to send the Kahr back to the factory after about 75 rounds due to failure-to-feed issues (yes, even when using the slide stop).

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
When I sense a potential problem, I tend to have my cell phone already dialed to the 911 & am ready to hit send (speaker already on) & hope & pray that my reflexess are quick enough & that my (our) tax dollars actually does some good. Then it would be a question of buying some time & also a little luck in terms of a responder happening to be close by. Wishful thinking? PolyAnnyish? A greater danger might be acquaintances who ask for money & you allow them to get too close during the process. Been there done that ---- never saw the money again ---- definitely sensed the aggressiveness escalating ---- him describing himself as a former Marine spiel the whole time ---- layers & layers of him being down talk ---- pay back with extra interest etc. It helps to have a true key friend who happens to show up during those moments.

MJ

Red Baron

Reaction score
When I sense a potential problem, I tend to have my cell phone already dialed to the 911 & am ready to hit send (speaker already on) & hope & pray that my reflexess are quick enough & that my (our) tax dollars actually does some good. Then it would be a question of buying some time & also a little luck in terms of a responder happening to be close by. Wishful thinking? PolyAnnyish? A greater danger might be acquaintances who ask for money & you allow them to get too close during the process. Been there done that ---- never saw the money again ---- definitely sensed the aggressiveness escalating ---- him describing himself as a former Marine spiel the whole time ---- layers & layers of him being down talk ---- pay back with extra interest etc. It helps to have a true key friend who happens to show up during those moments.

MJ
When seconds count, the police will be there in mere minutes. They show up just in time to call the coroner to remove your body. I can think of a half dozen more applicable cliches as well. lol

I ran a test of my ADT security system at the car wash last week...primarily because I wanted the police blotter in this week's newspaper to say they responded to alarms at Red Baron Car Wash...letting readers know I have alarms.

I covered it with the chief of police first and he said to let the entire process play itself out so he could test his officer's response time. It took 5 minutes of the alarm going off in early evening before ADT began trying to call me. I didn't answer intentionally. The local PD did a good job, but still it was 10 minutes after the alarm sounded before help arrived.

I think we have to be prepared to handle matters ourselves for 10 minutes.

Reds

Reaction score
I think the trick is to not be caught at the wrong moment. At carwash near me the someone rushed the owner while he was lifting the coinbox out of his SS bay - the guy was hiding around the corner waiting for him. At that point you are in a jam - happens too fast for you to react. Best you can do is double check everything, keep your eyes and ears open, and hopefully be prepared to react. I usually pull my money during the early daylight hours in the hopes that the druggies are still sleeping off last night's buzz. I owned a restaurant where the night manager left the back door unlocked (against rules) and as soon after close an armed robber walked thru the back door. Even if it was locked the guy could have just waited outside for him to exit. All you can do is keep your antennas up.

Etowah

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Red, find another alarm company (after your "cheap" contract is up) My company waits 30 secs for me to reset, if I screw up, then they call. If I don't answer, they call the cops/fire.

jprb

Reaction score
Just an idea: These taser's are the same as what the police are carrying, just a little different in physical design. They are the best thing that has been invented in a long time. They will completely immobilize someone until the battery goes dead.

http://www.itaser.com/

JPRB

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Just to give me options, I carry the teargas and gun on me and the taser in the car.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Guns, or no guns, awareness and avoidance are basic tenets of security and self defense.

Here is something I wrote on the subject.

http://371078645507472465-a-1802744...dnQRLYgGEj0F_XOdhsofoZVCbOLsLI&attredirects=0
Good stuff. One of my biggest fears was a student coming in a Monday evening class and telling me: "Mr. Adams, a bully picked on me at school so I tried a jump spinning 360 whip kick...and it didn't work." :)

It's hard to explain to MMA fans (I'm one of them) that many of the techniques and targets that are the best, are illegal in MMA, i.e., throat, eyes, biting, breaking fingers, groin strikes.

But since my sidekick is no good anymore (and shouldn't be brought to a gun fight anyway), my 9mm is a good alternative.

luckyducky

Bought 3 SS washes Nov 09
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Texan with concealed handgun license :)

Small .380 always on inside of my hip. At my true ghetto wash, I actually tuck in my shirt so it is exposed as a preemptive move for those that just think today is the day they'll talk crap and give me some BS. It's interesting to see how polite people are once they glance down. I'm tempted to instead carry my .45 so it's more menacing.. don't want to run into the one crackhead who thinks a .380 won't hurt him, but too bulky to do repairs with. The .380 Ruger LCP is barely bigger than an iphone i can do anything with it on. Only issue I'm having now is the slide is rusting from resting against my sweaty body. Enjoy that visual. LOL

Also, i only do bay and vac coin collection early in the morning, and i try to switch up which days i do it. When i go into the Equip Room, i always carry a bucket with few tools and a rolled up grocery bag at bottom of bucket, and i then put the cash in the bag at the bottom of that bucket when i leave, that way it doesn't appear that i have anything extra with me if someone happens to walk up and look in bucket... as far as they know, i put the quarters from vacs in the room, and that's it... just in there for repairs.

Before you all reply about exposed guns, yes somebody can call cops saying i had an exposed gun, and i welcome that. Can't imagine a Texas prosecutor willing to press charges against someone carrying money on property they own in that neighborhood. Many in Texas are trying to push for open-carry. It's been hard to push through, because when cop shows up and says 'hey put it away' the person complies instead of testing the law. I too would put it away if cops were called. I'm for open-carry, but not enough to be the guinea pig and go through the court system. But in my case, a black gun against a black t-shirt isn't visible from street and in this neighborhood, nobody is calling the cops unless they are bleeding. The owner 2 before me at this location, used to carry his shotgun across his shoulder with him into the equipment room. He used to tell the crackheads, if you don't leave I'll call the coroner.

Oh, I also always wear big oakley-style sunglasses and hat down low, so i look like I MIGHT be one of those crazy ass white guys.

At the other washes, i conceal the gun, much less foot traffic wandering around. I still do frequent 'look arounds' as i'm repairing something or collecting coins.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Just to give me options, I carry the teargas and gun on me and the taser in the car.
We recently had some of this security window film applied to the large glass pane in the rear door of our house:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYdVK3BqPfk

It was pricey at $250 for one door but we're taking extra measures to buy ourselves at least 60 seconds after someone tries to break in. At that point the bad guy will walk through the bedroom door and find my wife and I crouched down behind the bed pulling the triggers on a Mossberg 20 ga 500 Pursuit shotgun with #3 buckshot, and me with a .357 Magnum.

If they still get us, our bad karma was their accomplice.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
The second amendment gives you the right to carry an exposed gun, its the concealed weapon that you need a permit for.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
The second amendment gives you the right to carry an exposed gun, its the concealed weapon that you need a permit for.
Uh, very bad legal advice. It depends on the state and the city. Some states require open carry and some states forbid it. Some states require permits to carry a handgun open or concealed and some states only require a permit to carry concealed.

I guess with the recent US Supreme Court decisions, you could always appeal it until you win. After 10 years and a few hundred thousand dollars, you may be vindicated. Of course, by then you will have already completed your jail time.

If you don't believe that it is illegal to carry an exposed gun, just try it in Chicago. You can write us all from prison.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Yep, but the problem with that is that an alarmingly high percentage of cops don't know that it's legal to open carry on your own property (in Texas). I've asked several local cops about it and they usually either don't know, or don't think you can. I probably wouldn't open carry anyway, but I think it would risk getting shot by a nervous cop who doesn't know the law.

I think subtle hints can let would-be robbers know that I'm probably armed, such as the NRA and GOA stickers on my pickup.