What's new

Gloves

Greg_T

Reaction score
1 Licola Road, Heyfield, Victoria, Australia
It doesn't get really cold in Australia, but our mornings are getting close to freezing currently. So my delicate Australian fingers get awfully cold doing the morning and evening clean ups. I would really appreciate any recommendations for gloves that are good in a SS wash situation. Thanks in advance, Greg

washnshine

Reaction score
It doesn't get really cold in Australia, but our mornings are getting close to freezing currently. So my delicate Australian fingers get awfully cold doing the morning and evening clean ups. I would really appreciate any recommendations for gloves that are good in a SS wash situation. Thanks in advance, Greg
I find it best to layer - first a thin
cloth cotton, type glove and then a lined waterproof glove over that. The layering keeps the heat in and the waterproof outside glove keeps you dry when washing down bays and picking things up. The cloth inner glove can be something like a garden glove, or something you see runners wear in cool weather.

Here is a link to the water proof exterior glove:

MarkDoronin

Banned
Reaction score
yes, I agree from the point of view of physics about the retention of heat
BUT
it is necessary that the fingers be the same mobile!
as for me, the ideal option would be dense rubber on the lining and a thin layer of fleece

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I used the nitrile-faced gloves similar to the ones KR sells ( link ) for decades, but about 10 years ago I switched to the thinner version of the same thing. They are made in many thicknesses, I find that the thinnest it what works best for me. Just enough to cut the cold and wind, excellent grip, doesnt inhibit my use of tools, extremely flexible on my hands. I buy them locally, I couldnt easily tell from the descriptions online what thicknesses they are.

MEP001

Reaction score
I use the smallest cotton jersey glove I can get my hand into and put on a nitrile glove over that. It's not particularly warm but it's much better than no gloves at all, and my hands remain very dexterous. If I can find big enough nitrile gloves, I can get the assembly off and reuse them a number of times before replacing the nitrile gloves, which is the hardest part.

soapy

Reaction score
I buy the cotton glove liners in bulk about .99 cents a pair. If they get wet I grab another pair. These keep my hands warmer than insulated leather gloves. I only have to deal with -20 degrees F though.