What's new

Galaxy Extractor Question

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The heater died on my carpet extractor recently. I got a qoute for a new part; $500.83! Any ideas/ suggestions? Seemed high to me.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
that seems rediculous! A heater is usually about $140-$150. When you do fix it I have a suggestion that will save you years in replacing the heater again!

NEVER USE TAP WATER IN THE EXTRACTOR! I only use RO water in the tank. the minerals biuld up on the heating elements which shortens there life. My first heater lasted about 1 year. Since then I only used RO water and my use has more than trippled on the same unit... 5 years now on the same heater!

Do you have the manual? Is there a comprable heater that will fit, like from a mytee or grand prix?

Randy

Reaction score
I have to agree. $500.83 seems a little on the high side. How much would it cost to replace the unit? I think you should be able to find a suitable replace heat for less than $500. A couple of years ago a older gentlemen I know needed a part for his heating system. The service technician said the part to fix his furnace wasn?t available anymore and he?d have to replace the heating system to the tune of $17K, that?s money he doesn?t have. He asked me for help, 2 days later he was warm and it cost him $18 with shipping for a the part out of New York. Doug is right don?t use tap water, use only RO water.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Tap water is okay in some areas where TDS is low. If RO water is readily available I would use it but if your water is relatively soft with low TDS you should be okay. In either case you should empty the tank when you won't be using it for a while. It doesn't help the heating element to be sitting in water all the time when it is not necessary.

Like the others I would almost bet that part is available somewhere else. I have not seen too many heating elements that are proprietary. You might have a hard time finding it but it would be worth the effort.

MEP001

Reaction score
Kleen-Rite has a 120V tank heater for $150-ish that might be made to fit in your extractor. There are also small circulating heaters similar to fish tank heaters that can heat to 140?.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! All great ideas. I've used well water only in this machine for 6-7 years with only one problem; now.

Detailing slows considerably January 15, so I'll e tearing the heater out of this unit and determining exactly what's wrong with it. I get the concept of the electric heating element and how it works, basically. $500 is way too much!

Yes, I have a manual. I'll check mytee.

Custom Detail

Reaction score
We had the same problem,I went to the farm store and bought a bucket heater. Drops right in the clean water tank, and takes about an hour to heat 12 gals. Also you have a whole tank of hot water, not just a few min. at a time as with an inline heater. cost is about 35 to 40 dollars

Last edited:

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Extractor Heater Update

Tore this baby down this morning. Removed the in-line heater and took it as far apart as we could, which was not very far. Looks like it has a thermostat siliconed in place, the whole heater element is sealed, etc. Not designed to be repaired but replaced.

Wound up buying a bucket heater at Agway for $44.99 + tax. Had to get a new section of hose made to bypass the original heater, another $23. Re-installed new hose, dropped heater into tank. Bingo. All fixed. Thanks for the advice!

Danny

Reaction score
$500 is excessive for a heater. Depending on the heater watts and manufacturer a heater should be up to as much as $250. Examples:powrflite 1200 watt $225, Powrflite 1750 watt $250, Sandia 205 degree 2000 watt heater $250. I have ordered parts for Sandia, Powrflite and Mytee extractors for customers and never had a $500 heater, at that price buy a new extractor and use your old extractor for parts. Sometimes you can save the heater or pump if it is "going out" which is caused by build up in the lines like the other guys said. In most heaters the lines are only 1/8" and clog easily. Manufacturers sell cleaning solutions for the their extractors to clean the lines. If your machine is under warranty I recommend that you use that manufacturer's product, dont give them an excuse to void your warranty and blame a defect on you. However, if your machine is past its warranty period there is an old fix for flushing your extractor lines and increasing the life of your pump and heater if they are clogged. For this to work there must be some small amount of flow in your lines. Take you extractor nozzle and place it into the fresh water/solution tank with a rubber band around the lever holding the valve open and able to spray into the water/solution tank. Fill the water/solution tank with a mild, mild dilution (the ratio will depend on which product you have available) of wheel acid. Turn on the pump and heater only, no vacuum. The acid cleans the chemical resistant lines in the extractor. Allow the acid to circulate in the system until flow is smooth. If the lines are extremely dirty it may require removing the nozzle (so the jet does not become over loaded and clogged) and placing the extractor's chemical hose in the fresh water/solution tank.
I hope this helps.
Danny Umbrell

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, but I solved the problem by purchasing a bucket heater from Agway for about $40. It has a side benefit of heating the water much hotter than the o.e.m. heater, resulting in improved cleaning power.