What's new

Friction equipment layout

washnshine

Reaction score
Anyone see any cleaning advantages to different friction equipment layouts? Things like increasing chemical dwell time on the tops by putting mitters towards the end. Or wraps at the beginning so more chemical is on the front/ sides when the brush hits it. Any thoughts?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
In the old days everyone considered dwell time. Now, it seems not so much. You see a lot of "reverse" entry side wraps with little dwell time. Had these for a while. Due to the arc of the arm they seem to stay on fronts longer which could be important if you are in a bug area. I don't feel they get out of the way as well and follow as well at higher line speeds which is important to me. My distributor prefers wrap then mitter perhaps because he feels wraps are more effective t cleaning and need less dwell than mitters. He set up a place with Warps back Reverse / regular on a single frame and them double mitters . Said he did this because rear wiper damage is typically when mitter cloth flls of the roof and extends the wiper and then the wraps finish it off.
So, last place I did I followed another configuration I like and have. Mitter wrap combo with lower detail under. Followed by a duplicte unit, followed by a mini miter which is after the triple foam. I eliminated the entrance arch and hung aluminum struts off the front of the first mitter to mount, Pre Soak, Triple soap and bubbleizer, and wheel cleaner jets. (At another location with more room I have the same set up but also a pair of high side wheels.)
Tommy has something I think they call a Tommy module which is similar but they hang a high side wheel off the from of the mitter. If time, money and space permit I like that configuration a lot. (At another location with more room I have the same set up but also a pir of high side wheels. But I also like eliminating the entrance arch.

washnshine

Reaction score
Thanks Earl. That is helpful information.